522 viewing questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riggscm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I posed this quetion to the gang over at broadbandreports.com, in the Satellite Group, but dont think I've gotten a response...

Regarding a 522...
what I want to do is have my main TV be able to get signals from both tuners, and also be able to feed off to a second TV. I suppose I could split TV2 output to go to the second TV, and into a second input on the main TV set.

Any thoughts would be welcomed :cool:

follow up question...
Can the TV that is hooked up the the TV2 output switch to a different tuner??
...example tuner 2 is recording a show, can TV2 then switch over to tuner 1 and watch/control programming on that tuner?

what I want to do is have my main TV be able to get signals from both tuners, and also be able to feed off to a second TV. I suppose I could split TV2 output to go to the second TV, and into a second input on the main TV set.
TV1 has (3) outputs: coaxial (RF), composite (RCA yellow), and s-video. I know it outputs to RF *and* composite at the same time. Will it output to composite and s-video ?? Don't know... Will it output to all (3) at the same time ?? Don't know.... People do this to get Picture-In-Picture. It will require BOTH remotes to operate this way though.
Can the TV that is hooked up the the TV2 output switch to a different tuner??
...example tuner 2 is recording a show, can TV2 then switch over to tuner 1 and watch/control programming on that tuner?
If TV2 is recording, you can watch a pre-recorded show at the same time. That's not what you're specifically asking though. What you're asking I believe the answer is *no*.

Remember, they're distinctly seperate TUNERS. They do share the hard drive though.

You can watch tuner 2 or a prerecorded event on the hard drive but unlike TiVo you can't switch tuners on the 522. Each tuner has a dedicated output. You could feed both tuner 1 and tuner 2 to a second TV set we'll say using ch 3 for tuner 1 and 55 for tuner 2. Combine both outputs on a coax then change channels on the TV set ch 55 to watch tuner 2 and ch 3 to watch tuner 1.

I just had mine hooked up over the weekend. Just as many have alluded to, you can run both signals into TV1 but will need to switch between inputs. I have Turner 1’s S-video and digital audio going into “Video 1” of my TV and “Audio 1” of my receiver. I also have Tuner 2’s Composite Video & RCA Audio going out to “Video 2” and “Audio 2” respectively. For most people, running the two audios into the accompanying audio inputs of the TV would simplify this a little bit. Nevertheless, I had the cables and had to justify their purchase to my long-suffering wife.

There is also a coax output from Turner 2 that runs to the second TV. Because the two outputs of Turner 2 are coming from the same source, the TV single is the same. Anything playing on the back TV is also playing on the “Video 2” input of the front TV. Not a huge problem for a family of two though.

You do have to switch back and forth between the two Video/Audio outputs to watch the different tuners. This is the exact same process you have to go through to switch between a DVD or VCR input so it shouldn’t scare anyone off.

As often discussed, the two tuners do respond to different frequency remotes. For TV1, you will wither need to buy a universal remote that supports both frequencies, order an extra “TV2” remote from dish ($35) or get your butt off the couch and get the other remote in the other room. Option 3 was horrifying to me, so I’ve opted to order a second remote.

Bottom line: with this set-up, you can record on one turner and watch TV on the second tuner and you do not need to externally split the signal off the coax out of Tuner 2.

Always more than you need to know,
Scott

riggscm said:
I think boba has answerd that question...
but
I wonder what the swap button on the remote is for, or is that unusable if you have the TV1 and TV2 outputs going to seperate TVs.
The most recent software update did *something* with the remotes but it's beyond me what it does...

riggscm said:
I think boba has answerd that question...
but
I wonder what the swap button on the remote is for, or is that unusable if you have the TV1 and TV2 outputs going to seperate TVs.

The swap and other PIP functionality on the remode only work with the unit in single mode (single mode is selected by a button on the front of the unit).

You can swap tuners on TV2 in single mode with Shared View on. The catch is both TV1 and TV2 will show the same thing. You should be able to do PIP and SWAP with the TV2 remote in this situation (affecting both outputs), but I haven't tried it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)