522: Watch While Recording Capabilities

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Will there be the capability for two different users to watch a PVR Event that was previously recorded while two shows are being recorded all at the same time?

In other words one person would be watching an event previously recorded on the first tv output, the second person watching a different previously recorded event on the second tv output, while tuners one and two are recording something, all at once.

Thats a good question. I am wondering if both outputs are capable of viewing tuner 1 (the same program) while tuner 2 is recording an event. I wonder if Dish actually considered these things before making this receiver.

Wow, Dish seems to have really thought things through this time when coming out with the 522 receiver. I hope they really beta test the software in this receiver as good as they are currently beta testing the software in the 721 receiver.

Yup!!

YES !!

I did this at my friends house.

Its the coolest

4 things going on at once!

Here is my question. What main differences are there between the 522 and the 721? Specwise, they look nearly identical to me, but seems the 522 is more geared towards using it between 2 televisions.

ocaddict said:
Here is my question. What main differences are there between the 522 and the 721? Specwise, they look nearly identical to me, but seems the 522 is more geared towards using it between 2 televisions.

Exactly. Once the 522 gets the upgrade to do single mode, it will be identical to a 721, except it has the added option of doing dual mode. That's why it is new and the 721 has been discontinued.

A good portion of the market has just two TVs... this makes this a smart move by Dish (though I don't understand how they can justify a second receiver fee on the 522. Sure, it's waived... for now)

So it seems to me if you have only 2 tv's, the 522 is a darn good choice for a DVR receiver. I didn't realize the 721 was discontinued.

AppliedAggression said:
Are you sure that as of right now, if you're on TV2 and it's recording something, that you can watch what's on tuner 1? I'm not exactly sure that you can.

Not sure exactly what you're saying here, but if you are in let's say the bedroom (TV2), and Tuner 2 is recording something, you can either watch something that was recorded previously on either tuner, or watch something that already started recording on Tuner1.

Is it possible to watch live TV and record a different channel on the _same_ tv with the 522? Even if you have to rig something that might not be the exactly way it's supposed to be heh.

Yes, but you will need the Tuner 1 & 2 remotes though and hook both outputs up to your TV. For example, Tuner 1 hooked up via S-Video and Tuner 2 through the Co-ax input. If a person is watching live TV on a different channel on Tuner 2 upstairs though, its game over.