522 Wiped out the hard drive

ericgtr

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Supporting Founder
Jul 16, 2004
I was watching a show, no recording or anything and it froze up on me so I heald the power button in for 5 seconds and released it because it wouldn't let me power down normally. It came up and said something like "Cleaning Hard drive please stand by" and wiped out all my recorded shows and settings.

This was out of nowhere for no apparent reason and believe me when I tell you that I am normally a very mellow, nice person but this pisses me off so bad I can hardly see straight. A huge thanks to Dish Network for this new feature, I can see they put a lot of time into their error control. If this is the price for NBR and their new update then I don't want it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of volatile storage media.

I empathize with your dilemma, but there really isn't anything you can do about it.

If you have anything that you really want to save, then consider a secondary backup like a VCR or DVD burner.

Sorry.

All that hassle because thier device provides no other alternative means to backup it's data? If it's going to be so volatile then they should provide an optional or built in backup solution for their customers receivers. I do understand that this sort of thing will happen but the way it did it was obviously a set routine that said "I don't like some stupid little thing so I am going to wipe the drive with no warning".

If this has been a PC prone to viruses, spyware etc. then I would feel a need to run a backup routine but they obviously have a serious lack of logic built into their updates. They appear much more eagar to add functionality than they do any sort of error control or correct past issues.

It's been happening to me every since they did 232. It looks like my hard drive is trashed because there are no timers. However, if I unplug it the timers reappear and I'm okay until the next time it finds a problem.

Good luck!

Sorry for being riled up about all of this, I just got really upset when I lost all my episodes of Married With Children! :p

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I've been getting error 599, It seems to happen while I'm recording something and moving around rapidly in either the DVR menu or programming guide. I get the 599 and it says it's checking the hard drive for errors and could take up to 45 minutes. After 3 to 5 minutes it quits and reboots. I'm lucky and haven't lost anything. I got the new release last wednesday, got the 599 3 times on Sunday and 3 times on monday. Dish is sending me a new unit, but called me last night to ask me what I was doing when I got the error. I'm guessing it's a software problem. I was able to reproduce it while I was on hold with them by recording something, then hitting keys rapidly. I have since been able to avoid the problem by waiting 3 to 5 seconds between button presses while I'm recording something.

Steve Costa

It kept locking up on me again last night as well, the best thing I can suggest is not to hold the power button in on the unit to force a reboot because that's how I lost everything. What I ended up doing was waiting (sometimes up to 2 minutes) for it to unfreeze and then hitting the power button on my remote to reboot it.

It's sounding like they have installed a new problem with this last update, hopefully they will address it soon because it's almost unusable for me at this point.

Is there anything that you can report to see if anyone else here can get it to do the same thing/duplicate your results?

I've tried Single/Dual modes, ripping around the guide and recording and I can't reproduce any of the above. :(

*Other than a sound hiccup/video pixelation now and then.*

I certainly wouldn't rule out that it's a problem with my own personal receiver. I agree, it would be nice to see if this is happening to anyone else. It does seem a little suspect that it's only happening since the update, it's never done this before in the entire time that I have owned it but you never know :)

I've had my 522 freeze a couple of times since the 2.32 update. Fortunately I just waited a minute or so for it to come back to life. Now I know not to do a reboot when it happens or I may lose my recordings.

My 522 decided to clean itself again 2 nights ago with no warning at all. Much to my dismay I pressed DVR button and there was nothing there. Recordings were gone, timers were gone just like the box was brand new. This is the third, THIRD :shocked, time this has happened in 10 months. That seems somewhat excessive to me. I'm pitching this POS out the window next month.

Yep.. Cleaning = Formatting. They really need to get this issue resolved and stop worrying about adding new functionality until they do.

I too am reaching the boiling point.

The only reason I haven't chucked my 522 out the window (besides the fact that it would cost me $399) is that my buddy who installs these systems swears that there is a DVD recorder on the near horizon that will utilize the USB port on the 522 unit and cost approx. $150.

From what he says, it will interface with the 522 directly, and provide a high-speed transfer of programs that are recorded on your machine direct to DVD.

Now, I have no way of validating this information independently. I haven't heard about this device anywhere else yet, but it's not all that improbable - there are already a gabillion DVD burners out there that use a USB interface.

That is providing E* didn't just include a fake USB port for looks.

I think that would be a very smart move on their part and would be happy to pay $150 for a backup solution.

count me in. i go through 100 hours (more like 60 in reality) in 2-3 weeks and then spend the rest of my time managing the shows that are there and trying to watch or delete things before it starts making decisions for me (I know I could protect but...) Eventually I'll get fed up and start dumping things to VHS but to save tape (and time when watching) I want to edit the commercials. Ideally even a DVD burner I'd like to edit commercials on but if it is fast and easy and inexpensive I'd be willing to live with keeping the commercials (the advertisers sigh in relief)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)