522 with a Separator?

sigarms226

Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
I recently added a 942 to my setup, with voom at 61.5. In the process, I was supplied with a DPP44 switch.

I had the 522 moved to a different room, and the tech installed it with a separator to hook up both tuners.

It worked fine for a couple days, then stopped working (message comes up indicating a switch error, entire box locks up)

I called for tech support, they resent the tech out this past weekend. He unplugged everything, replaced the only 2 connections that he hadnt redone the first time he was out, and then we fired the 522 back up. It came back online.

Now, 3 days later, the receiver has stopped working, again, showing no reception on 3/4 sats, switch error, just like it was before.

All my other receivers continue to work (a 942 and an older DVR), since original install.

I have an old 301 that I no longer use that I hooked up on the connection for the 522 just to check the wiring...(one sat only, without the separator), and the check switch comes back perfect.

My questions after all this rambling:

1. Is the 522 intended to work with a separator?

2. Given that the 301 check switch passes for all 4 sats, could the problem be with the 522 receiver? This was a refurb unit I got about a year ago when my first 522 ate its hard drive.

3. Would my system work better without the use of separators?

Just prior to both times I had this problem with the 522, I had a message on the screen that I may be charged 4.99 if I dont hook up a phone line. (I intend to hook up a phone line, just want to see if the box will work for a whole week before I run the wires for the phone.)

Thanks for any comments!

Hi sigarms226,
what you could try is this:
disconnect the line before the separator goes with 2 lines into the 522.
Run a checkswitch ( to clear the switch matrix in the DPP44). Hook it back up and run a checkswitch again.
If the same problem comes up again - switch the 2 lines from the seperator to the 522 and run a check switch.
As far as I know - the 522 should work with a DPP44 switch. It did with mine.
Good Luck!

I just remember, when the DP44 was installed the first time - I had some switch errors too.. After trying out just about everything - I unscrewed all connections from the DP44 to the receivers - there is blue plastic cover - like a membrane over the connection going into the switch - After I saw, that one of the RG6 cables going into the switch didn't push a little hole in that plastic - I just punched a little hole through it (UNPLUG all receivers and the powersuply FIRST) and all was fine afterwards.

Just cleared the matrix, re-ran the check switch, same errors. Verified the connections by running a check switch with another receiver, checked out fine.

Calling E* now.....

Thanks very much for the tips - appreciate it. :)

What Larry said - PLUS what Matt is implying - the stingers might be too short for the DPP44's long connectors. This has been mentioned by others in the past. Lots of installers trim the stinger back to the nut. I always leave mine at least an 1/8" longer. Besides the DPP44 issue, it just makes hooking them up a bit easier because you can hit the hole before you have to thread the nut.

Oh yeah - that's from the Potpourri forum over there.

Bogy is so far left he makes Juan Williams (Fox News Sunday & NPR liberal) look like a neo-con.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)