Ally68

May 9, 2005
I have a dvr-522 and have mounted it in the cabinet under my tv has about 7 inches on each side and about 10 on top, but it has glass doors in front and solid side but the back is open it is the only component in there.

Does this sound vented enuf and how can I check the temp it appears to have no vents on it anyway?

Just wondering.

Pils

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2004
I have had my 508 in a smaller space than that with other components. Glass in front, rear open, and about 4 inches on top. Never had an issue, you most certainly should not have any problems.

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
About a month ago my 522 started an overheating spell. It would happen a couple of times a day. It was in a cabinet with 4 inches on both sides, a closed in back, and a glass front. I noticed the bottom of the unit was very hot when it would overheat. So, I took four 1 inch blocks of wood and put the receiver on them. (I put my receiver on blocks.) I haven't had any problems since then. So, for my problem, there was not enough air getting to the bottom of the unit.

Ally68

May 9, 2005
yours is still in a closed in box front and rear and just on blocks?

Mine is open in rear so thinking it will get enuf air what was your HDD temps then?

Mine are high 116
low 96 average 106

not sure if these are high or not.

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Having been an engineer who has experience with HVAC systems designs, the best solution would be a one inch slot across the top and another one across the bottom of the backboard of any enclosure. This would create a natural convection cycle, which is even better than leaving the 522 even in the open air. Rising air out the top would create a partial vacuum in the enclosure and draw cool air in at the bottom.

I do a lot of home theater installs with wall units. When I assemble them, I always cut away one inch of the backboard across the top and two inches off the bottom. The makers of these wall units always have punchouts for cords that are too small and akward to use.

By doing the above, I've established a convective cooling system inside of the wall unit and easy access to all of the components in any av system.

Ally68

May 9, 2005
Mike the back is open it is only enclosed on sides top and bottom and front by glass doors the back is completely open.

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
Ally,

Having the nback configured the way I stated would actually aid cooling. It's like ducting cooling air to make a convective cooling cell. This is how wind systems, cyclones and hurricanes work. Still air actually provides less cooling.

mudder1310

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2004
Beaverton, Or
Some of the DVR receivers have a thermostat inside that will put an error message on screen when temps reach around 185* or so. There is a thermocoupler near the hard drive that may get hot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)