54 Remote

Discussion in 'DISH Network Support Forum' started by zplugger, Nov 30, 2018.

1. zplugger

zplugger Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Family

Will there ever be a firmware update to turn off aux devices with the main power button? Turns tv off but not audio receiver. Seems like all it would take is a update.

charlesrshell likes this.
  2. LQQK

LQQK SatelliteGuys Pro

I click AUX then Power to shut off my receiver in one of the rooms. I wish it had a macro button for power.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 SatelliteGuys Master
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't mind pressing two buttons, I need the exercise.

4. zplugger

I was just trying to make things simple for wife,after 40 years of training she still has problems with remote. Maybe next generation of remote will let you do this,other then
    the remote my Hopper 3 system is the greatest thing on earth.

5. Cheddar_Head

Cheddar_Head SatelliteGuys Pro

If your wife was familiar with the older remotes you can buy one and still use it with the Hopper3. I have a 40.0 in the drawer that gets taken out occasionally for visitors that are more comfortable with it.

joewhite57 and LQQK like this.
  6. Jim5506

Jim5506 SatelliteGuys Master
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have a 54.0 remote and a 40.0 with my Hopper.

There are still functions that I use daily that I have trouble finding on the 54.0 remote, like when in apuse how do you step forward or backward one frame at a time with the 54.0.

So I use the 40.0 more than the 54.0.

There are also some functions that are easier to find on the 54.0 remote, like the options button for switching to other in-use channels.

7. zplugger

Did any of the Dish remotes turn off multiple devices with one button? Like turn off TV and Audio receiver with the off button at same time?

8. MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05 Pub Member / Supporter
    Pub Member / Supporter

Look at your remote control section of the Hopper receiver. If you have HDMI-CEC turned on and your tv is HDMI-CEC compatible and connected to the receiver using an HDMI Cable, it will allow you to turn on your DISH receiver and TV and Tune to the correct input with a SINGLE button. I have mine enabled and it turns everything on and off with one button ,including my A/v receiver that is feeding my tv the sat picture and sound.

9. joewhite57

joewhite57 SatelliteGuys Guru

I have tried to get my wife trained to the 54 remote but she still would rather use the 40 like she has in our bedroom. Myself I’ve learned the 52 and 54 and have difficulty with the older 40.

10. zplugger

Well after a lot of research I find out Walmart had my Samsung Smart tv stripped of this feature to keep cost down. It was a UN65J6200. I have a Onkyo TX-SR705 audio receiver which
    is CEC compatible. My question is since the Hopper3 has CEC enable and my HDMI cable from the hopper goes to the Onkyo first then to TV can the Hopper turn on the receiver?. Or is this something only the TV can do.

11. zplugger

Played around with Onkyo setting and got the Hopper 3 to turn on the TV and the Onkyo. The only problem now is when I turn off the TV and Hopper the receiver stays on. Thinking
    maybe because the Hopper doesn't shut down for 5 minutes, So I powered down the hopper and the Onkyo still stay on. So something isn't telling the receiver to shut off?

12. Howard Simmons

Howard Simmons SatelliteGuys Guru

I have the Hopper2/sling and what I do is power down all 3 separately. If you power down the Hopper and Tv with the off switch the Hopper will go into 5 minute shut down. If you power down the Hopper separately by saying "turn off" the Hopper should shut down immediately. At least that's what mine does.

13. DWS44

DWS44 SatelliteGuys Master
    Supporting Founder

To zplugger , have you ever looked into a Harmony Universal remote? I got one for both of my parents to be able to use their systems... much easier than learning multiple remotes and/or dealing with multiple input buttons on ordinary universal remotes.

14. zplugger

Thanks Will look into the Harmony remote

15. JS_racer

JS_racer SatelliteGuys Pro

on the 54, hit the aux button on the side, then power, then sat, power.
    all 3 components off. (i don't use cec on that h3, so your mileage may very)

16. zplugger

Just can't find a harmony remote with the feel of the 54.0 remote. Being older,big hands the 54 seems to be the perfect remote for me. Would it
    be possible to have the remote modify to shut down all devices with the power button. I know I can press the aux to shut off av receiver but it a pain,anybody found
    a good remote like the 54 ? I think Harmony make a companion add on remote,but it has no back lighting.

Separate names with a comma.

More...