55th Anniversary of Kennedy Assassination

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
It was 55 years to the day that the country experienced the assassination of President Kennedy. Wonder if any old-timers remember that day......Nov. 22, 1963

I was in seventh grade of Catholic school, a normal day of that Thanksgiving week when our teacher was called out the the classroom. She shortly returned, had the class stand up to recite prayers, we had no idea why. At the end of prayers she said Pres. Kennedy was shot and killed. School were cancelled the next day and we were required to attend a special mass for the soul of the President. All TV stations carried nothing except the assassination news. One of the most popular photos in the paper was LBJ taking the oath on the airplane.

Wonder what other folks remember of that day?

Must be the same age. I too was in 7th grade at the time.

About a year earlier, he came to the Pittsburgh area. I ran right next to him for about 2 blocks as he passed through our area. He was in a top down convertible. Never forget how colorful he was. Looked like a movie star.

Will always remember that day.

Reactions: spongella
Also remember being in school and being told, one of the two (or maybe three) biggest events in my life. I was home and watched live (maybe we all were all out of school that day?) when Ruby shot Oswald.

I was waiting for an incoming flight at Tan Son Nhut Air Base near Saigon, Vietnam when the news was broadcast over the PA system.

I don't remember it firsthand. My birthday is on December 3rd, and I was a hair short of being 5 years old back then... My siblings and I were brought up VERY much sheltered. In fact, I can't even tell you the age I would have finally been aware that this happened.

I was having lunch in the launch control center of an Atlas F missile complex. I was watching the news when Walter Cronkite said the president was shot. It was downhill from there.

I, too, was in Catholic school. The nun got very upset and left the classroom, leaving us all alone. I needed to go to the bathroom, and did so (without permission!). When I got back, she still hadn’t returned. We were never left alone before that, or since.

When dating, that was my test question. If she didn’t remember exactly where she was when Kennedy was shot, she was too young for me.

9-11 is the only other event in my life that made such an unforgettable impression.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: spongella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)