5LNB install at apartment complex

Status
Please reply by conversation.

opiepac

Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
I've been reading some similar threads, wanted to make sure everything I'm being told is reasonable.

I just signed up to get an HR20 and new service. I live in an apartment with typical apartment rules. I'm not allowed roof access for sure, and I believe I'm not supposed to use my porch railings. Basically it needs to be freestanding.

I knew all this, and when I signed up told them I'd need a tripod mount. I wasn't aware that the 5LNB dish was so big/heavy. So yesterday the installer came out and told me he couldn't do it because he didn't have the right hardware. He said what he needed to use was going to cost me $100. From what I've seen, it sounds like he's talking about a 2" monopole, mounted similar to you would at a house where you dig a hole and fill with quickcrete, except that in this case its not in the ground. (sounds kinda like a big potted plant, with a monopole and quickcrete) or something similar. He was mumbling about bricks or cinder blocks.

Anyway, I knew I'd have to pay for the tripod mount, so I'm not surprised I'd have to pay for this, but does this sounds correct pricewise?

Also, I'm unsure of what to do about the cabling to the apartment. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to drill holes. The apartment management changed recently, and I don't know what the new management's vibe is. I have a feeling if I ask, they'll say no. So either I ask, they say no, and I can't drill, or I have to drill and not tell them. Any advice?

Also, I'm unsure of what to do about the cabling to the apartment. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to drill holes. The apartment management changed recently, and I don't know what the new management's vibe is. I have a feeling if I ask, they'll say no. So either I ask, they say no, and I can't drill, or I have to drill and not tell them. Any advice?

I live at a very agreeable apartment building, and they allowed the install to take place on the roof and even allowed drilling. Unfortunately the installer showed up (to his first job of the day) with a broken drill bit (he knew it was broken before he even left that day, he told me when i suggested drilling) so he used flat cables under a window. My signals are all in the 95-100 range using those.

flat cables through a window for me.

i have mine clamped to the railing. of course, i'm basically in a forest and no one really pays my balcony any attention. so use your own judgement.

have you walked around your building and seen how others hav einstalled their satellites, if there are any?

opie,

i'm also in an apartment complex. i've attached a pic of my setup if it helps.

Attachments

• dishsetup.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
Anyway, I knew I'd have to pay for the tripod mount, so I'm not surprised I'd have to pay for this, but does this sounds correct pricewise?

Also, I'm unsure of what to do about the cabling to the apartment.
The first phase 3 dish I had mounted on the balcony, they provided the tripod. The last time they mounted the Slimline the installer at first said it was going to cost me money for the pole but I had made sure that D* had on the work order that a pole would be needed so he had to do it without charge.

I'm surprised there's a couple here using flat wires. I had them with the phase 3 but the installer and folks here (search for my previous post) said that flat wire wouldn't really pass the HD signal through well. Fortunately I'm on the 3rd floor and had to leave the window open a crack for the wires. I then got window mount A/C insulation to fill the gap and even though only Spider-Man would be able to get to my balcony, I got 2 window locks for the window so it couldn't be raised.

TexasTodd, how long have you had the bucket setup working? I thought I read that the Slimline wouldn't work well with that.

Anyway, I'm close to redoing my balcony mount with a perfect solution (in my opinion) for the Slimline. When I'm done, I'll be sure to post photos.

The problem is that a tripod that will hold a two (2) inch actual diameter pole is an item that is seldom stock by suppliers and installation companies. www.solid signal sticks a tripod for about $70 delivered. Then, you still must find and buy a hard to get two(2) inch actual diameter pole.

The tripod like this one sold and stocked by Radio Shack and most suppliers cannot hold a two (2) inch actual diameter pole but will hold a 1-5/8" actual pole used for antennas and standard DirecTV and Dish Network dishes. In this case, a three foot long section of a standard 1-5/8" ground pole or an inexpensive $5 chain link fence line post can be used.

RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Antenna accessories: Heavy-Duty 3-Foot Tripod Mount

This adapter on eBay would solve the problem inexpensively and allow the installer to use the standard tripod.

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - (eBay item 150157595436 end time Sep-09-07 21:00:32 PDT)

The two tripods are most likely about the same. The first one is expensive, because of it smaller production run, startup production costs, and the fact that it is the only one currently available to hold the larger pole.

To increase stability, three screws can discretely fastened to the deck, without the apartment managers ever knowing it.

Last edited:
dc, the bucket setup is what i originally had with the old 3lnb setup. i upgraded to the 5lnb about 2 weeks ago. instead of trying to figure out a new way of installing it, i went ahead and kept the bucket and used my brain a little :). if you look at the pic, i have it pretty stabilized. about a day after i got it setup, we had a pretty big storm (and we know how to get those here in TX) and it was fine. no problems except losing the picture for a few minutes. the dish is obviously heavier, but the arm is resting on the deck railing and i used some bag straps to hold the bottom of the post in place. so far so good. the arm leaning on the railing is the major support. and it also helps that i have a wide open view to the satellites.

I had my slimline mounted outside on the lawn near a Dish Network satellite dish, the installer just dug up where the existing cable for the Dish Network cabling was running and ran my DTV cable right next to it, and reburied it.

He did drill a hole, but the management said it was fine. Best wat to know if it's okay with your landlord is to ask. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts