6.20 quirks

voombot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
apologies if this has been posted before, but on version 6.20 of voom software has anyone notice that when you hit the info but it gives you the program information from the channel above it. for example 803 (mtv) will show 802 (fuse) program when you hit info on the remote.

I've also noticed the box doesnt lock up as much anymore, only locked up once since the push. PQ looks better as well. I wish they would show more videos on Rave like they used to. I know most voomers are older but even they have teen agers and kids.

voombot said:
apologies if this has been posted before, but on version 6.20 of voom software has anyone notice that when you hit the info but it gives you the program information from the channel above it. for example 803 (mtv) will show 802 (fuse) program when you hit info on the remote.
Welcome to the forum!

Could you please provide some details about this problem. Does it happen to you all the time and on all channels, or is it just on some channels and from time to time? Do you press info in the Surf Bar or in the Program Guide?

I would be on a channel, press info on the remote and it would show the preceding channel and i would have to go down one channel. its only a minor problem but i see it all the time. Also on the guide some times the channel name is missing, ie it will show 301 , instead of 301 ESPNHD.

this is my first post but i've been lurking for a long time.

THat's real odd, info has never given me a problem on any of the firmwares... hit it once and it brings up the surf bar, twice and I always get a description of the show, the only time it's "Wrong" is if it's like 11:58 and it shows you the 12:00 content information. Sound wacky, now that you have given a full description I wonder if your PG content ever downloaded correctly. I would suggest unplugging your STBs for 5-10 minutes and then bringing them back on to reload all the PG info... anyone else with ideas?

voombot said:
Also on the guide some times the channel name is missing, ie it will show 301 , instead of 301 ESPNHD.
This means the Program Guide has not finished loading. That could also explain the strange behavior your are seeing. Switch to channel 100 and leave it alone for some time. It will fix itself. You can also do a reboot to speed up the process, but make sure to leave the box alone at least for 10-15 minutes after that: do not switch channels, especially do not go to channel 301 when the PG is loading!

thanks for all the info. This doesn't happen when the PG is loading, all the channels are loaded and the system is on for more than .5hr. I've had voom since january so i know how long it takes for the PG to load, but i dont believe this is loading issue.

thanks for the help.

I would still reboot the STB. There is a good chance this will take care of your problem. Good luck!

Ilya, I have been having exactly the problem described by voombot. It is intermittent. Also happens when I press OK to see the bar instead of pressing Info. Might see the channel ahead or the one behind. Also, when I hit the Voom btn then show all channels, and flip ahead a page or back a page, I see the channel numbers sometimes without a channel description.

I don't think this is a PG loading issue. I have rebooted several times, waited for the PG to refresh. Problem still there, but intermittent, as before.

This has been for the past 4 or 5 days. Didn't happen when I first got the 6.20 update a few weeks ago.

I didn't report it because I was watching for a pattern or see if it would fix itself. (wishful thinking) But I have to chime in now so voombot won't think he/she is going crazy (at least by himself/herself).

Is there a way to force a hard reboot or firmware reload? I remember posts about that several months ago. What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Interesting. I'll try that when I get home to see if I can reproduce that too.

Yes, there is a factory reset procedure, but I would only use it as a last resort. In fact, I don't know if anyone tried it in the new version. Also, if several people are having the same problem, it's likely a bug in the software. Factory Reset will not eliminate any bugs...

I have never had the info show another channel but I have sometimes when i hit info the channel name does not show. It just shows channel number instead of name.

This does not happen all the time just intermittent like what was said.

I had the weird channel thing last night too. Only happened once and I thought maybe I was seeing things. When I tried to exit out of the guide my box locked up. A hard reboot took care of the problem and it took about 20 minutes for the PG to show up. A recent problem in the guide download code?

I still see the problem. Its not random on my box. I'm watching a channel hit info and its the info for the preceding channel. Maybe we can let voom know bout it.

Voombot which channel where you looking at when you were trying to get channel information. Does this problem happen on the PG as well as the surf bar?

Not sure about the PG, but surf bar for sure. I will check it out.

voombot and 1080iBeVuMin, is this problem still happening to you in 7.0B?
And how many channels do you currently have in your OTA map?

Sorry, I meant to report an update and forgot. As soon as I un-hid all the OTA channels this problem went away! So, I think the problem is definitely related to hiding channels. I don't know how many OTA channels are mapped here. I can check the system status and let you know. OTA channels for us are kind of a non-issue because we cannot pick up any anyway. We don't even have an antenna connected to the stb. I hid the channels in the first place just so they would not show up in the PG.

I can clarify that the problem here was with both the surf bar and PG. All problems in both areas completely went away by un-hiding the OTA channels. (The problems started when I hid all the OTA channels shortly after the 6.20 update.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)