6 yr old dish, can't get all i'm paying for

jarvic2000

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
I have an old dish with a model 301 receiver. I can't receive all the channels I'm being charged for (America's top 60). Dish network's response is "Too bad so sad - buy a new system" I've been a subscriber for 6 years and they can't take care of me? What do I need to fix what I have? And yes I'm cheap, if I have to buy a new dish so be it, but I'll be damned if I'll give DN the money.

Ok, let me put it another way. I'm no satellite guru like some of you. What will work with the receiver I have? Is it as simple as a new dish?

ok You prob have a a dish 300. Easy to tell look at the dish if it has a narrow LNBF then its a 300. Also you can go to the menu screen 6.1.1 and run a switch test if finds only one sat AKA 119 thenonce a gain its a dish 300. all u need to do is typw in your zip code and see what settings to set a new dish to. then get a dish 500 with either an other legacy dual like what ya have and a legacy 21sw run 1 line from both LNBF's to a 21sw and then 1 line to your 301. Or you can get a Legacy twin (hard to find dish no longer makes these) and run one line from LNBF to 301.
choices are:
Legacy dual and legacy sw21
Legacy twin
Legacy Quad
Dish Pro Twin
Dish Pro Quad
Dish Pro Plus Twin
Good luck..... Id try Ebay u might even be able to get another 301/311 for your deal

cleve_dnsc_tech said:
ok You prob have a a dish 300. Easy to tell look at the dish if it has a narrow LNBF then its a 300. Also you can go to the menu screen 6.1.1 and run a switch test if finds only one sat AKA 119 thenonce a gain its a dish 300. all u need to do is typw in your zip code and see what settings to set a new dish to. then get a dish 500 with either an other legacy dual like what ya have and a legacy 21sw run 1 line from both LNBF's to a 21sw and then 1 line to your 301. Or you can get a Legacy twin (hard to find dish no longer makes these) and run one line from LNBF to 301.
choices are:
Legacy dual and legacy sw21
Legacy twin
Legacy Quad
Dish Pro Twin
Dish Pro Quad
Dish Pro Plus Twin
Good luck..... Id try Ebay u might even be able to get another 301/311 for your deal

If all you have is a Dish300, have you thought about calling Dish and telling them that is what you have? They will switch you to a Dish500 and if I am not mistaken, it doesn't cost you anything. I think they are trying to get everyone switched over to a 500 ASAP. Now if you are wanting to upgrade your receiver, then that is another story

Slamminc11 said:
If all you have is a Dish300, have you thought about calling Dish and telling them that is what you have? They will switch you to a Dish500 and if I am not mistaken, it doesn't cost you anything. I think they are trying to get everyone switched over to a 500 ASAP. Now if you are wanting to upgrade your receiver, then that is another story

I don't know about this. I had a wing dish install get cancelled because the guy had a dish 300 (owned), and wouldn't spring for a dish 500 (I think that they had asked for $49). I ran into another dish 300 guy in tennessee. Caught me by surprise. It was a 3rd reciever upgrade, so I brought a legacy quad (who wouldn't, right?) and a 64 switch (because I did not know why setup he had, better to be safe than sorry). Luckily, I also had a regular D* multiswitch. What is messed up is that E* didn't reimburse me for my switch, and I know they would have been pissed if I used a 64 switch to run a dish 300 to 3 recievers (to be fair, I'm not sure that would even work).

You would think that they would give it up for free, with the hopes that you might bust out with the 180 package one day. Then again, that makes a little too much sense....

Slamminc11 said:
I have done a few D-500 upgrades in the last few weeks..All were free of charge to the cust..This is due to the moving of two chs in this DMA to 110...You may want to call E* and find out if a D-500 upgrade is free for you as well....

The OP doesn't say where he is located but couldn't he sign up for local channels and then E* would have to upgrade his dish to the 500 or SD1XX.

Voyager6 said:
The OP doesn't say where he is located but couldn't he sign up for local channels and then E* would have to upgrade his dish to the 500 or SD1XX.

That is what my customer did, which is how I got the WO for the wing dish. Naturally, I assumed he had a dish 500, but he didn't and E* hit him up for more cash. Last time I was out his way, he still had a dish 300.

Well, I like to think of myself as a "value-oriented" sort of fellow, and I truly do think E* just gives you more for your hard-earned dollar, but these folks are just out of it. E* has almost always had very reasonable upgrade deals - for example, my 61.5 wing dish was provided at no cost to me.

I guess old Charlie should give him a whole new setup complete with all dishes, 4 or 5 622 HD-DVR receivers with some big Sonys thrown in for good measure!

---Doug

Why is everyone always looking for something for nothing. Car dealers, computer suppliers, software sellers and other suppliers always charge for everything. Why is it that sat customers think everything should be FREE.

jerryez said:
Why is everyone always looking for something for nothing. Car dealers, computer suppliers, software sellers and other suppliers always charge for everything. Why is it that sat customers think everything should be FREE.
I think it comes down to the huge disparity in what kinds of arrangements folks can get from the providers as widely reported in these forums. We're really not getting anything for *free* anyway considering the huge monthly bills we're paying - the services surely make up for the equipment somewhere along the line, and in the case of the OP, who has apparently had the same service for 6 years, I'm sure E* has gone way past the breakeven point with him. I was in a similar situation, went 7+ years with a D300, dual LNB, and 2 legacy receivers I bought and installed myself. Thus I didn't feel any sorrow in asking for a *free* upgrade to get all the channels I was paying for, which required the D500. If E* and D* had very consistent pricing structures (yeah, right!) that were universally applied then we wouldn't have everyone looking for the angles to exploit.

PS - I have often (not always) been able to extract *freebees* from my car dealer when I asked, in exchange for my many years of loyal patronage...

jarvic2000 said:
I have an old dish with a model 301 receiver. I can't receive all the channels I'm being charged for (America's top 60). Dish network's response is "Too bad so sad - buy a new system" I've been a subscriber for 6 years and they can't take care of me? What do I need to fix what I have? And yes I'm cheap, if I have to buy a new dish so be it, but I'll be damned if I'll give DN the money.
Assuming you have no commitment at this point and you're all paid-up with E*, I'd call D* or a retailer for a competitive quote, and if I'm happy with that alternative, then I'd call E* and cancel. They'll surely try to "buy" you back, and you can plead your case at that time. If they counter, then make your decision. It's a competitive market and I don't think either service wants to lose long-term, profit-certain customers. Based on other threads, you will certainly have some leverage.

datwell said:
Well, I like to think of myself as a "value-oriented" sort of fellow, and I truly do think E* just gives you more for your hard-earned dollar, but these folks are just out of it. E* has almost always had very reasonable upgrade deals - for example, my 61.5 wing dish was provided at no cost to me.

I guess old Charlie should give him a whole new setup complete with all dishes, 4 or 5 622 HD-DVR receivers with some big Sonys thrown in for good measure!

---Doug

Right. They were doing that here. Giving the guy the wing dish for free, but they wanted money for the Dish 500 upgrade. On top of that, they killed my wing dish install, so I got to drive there for free. YAY!

jerryez said:

well in some cases, he should get a free upgrade

Right now if you have a local on the wings, Dish by law has to provide the equipment to get the channel
With SD, if you agree to a year the install and Dish are free

Again, since the OP didnt list what he is missing, if his locals moved to 110, then he should get an upgrade. But again, we are assuming that he has a Dish 300

jerryez said:

Yes, but all of the people you talk about are providing a product, not a service. Dish Network is providing a service. These are 2 different businesses. When I go to lease a new car from a dealership, they don't care that I leased one before. The fact that I did or did not lease from them before does not inhibit my ability to lease a new one. As long as I upheld the previous lease, they will gladly lease another.

With Dish, who is charging me whether I have new equipment or not, or if I can get everything I subscibe to or not. Dish barely has an option to get a new receiver, and when they do you have to pay for it. I understand. But the constant giving to a new customer, and nothing to an existing customer does not compare with the above industries.

I am in a similar boat as this guy. Since I have been a customer for 8 years, and had to pay to upgrade to a 522 (which I do understand and am not complaining about), but I have to now pay a lease fee, so my bill is $5 higher than anyone else with the exact equipment who is not as long term of a customer. And there is no way to remove this charge. So they are getting $5.00 more a month from me when everybody else gets it free.

622 OTA tuner not working!!??

211 to 622?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)