60 Mph Winds

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
Here in Duluth, Minnesota we just survived a true blizzard. I had 60+ MPH winds coming off Lake Superior and I only lost signal a couple of times for a couple of seconds. With these winds is that good or normal regarding the signal and stability of my dish? Does it say that the installer did a good job or is it typical?

Here in Duluth, Minnesota we just survived a true blizzard. I had 60+ MPH winds coming off Lake Superior and I only lost signal a couple of times for a couple of seconds. With these winds is that good or normal regarding the signal and stability of my dish? Does it say that the installer did a good job or is it typical?

I've got two dishes on my roof, and about a month ago, here in PA, we experienced similar gusts (or close to it). The same company installed both of the dishes (about a month apart), and they (and the signal) held rock steady. I felt like that was the first real test they got since they were put up (in Aug/Sept last year), and I was very pleased. We read a lot of installation horror stories here, but I can't say enough good about the folks at Antenna Star Satellites. A class A operation all the way. So, I can't say whether our experiences are typical or not, or what winds the dish should be able to sustain, but I feel like we're in good shape.

I live in duluth as well about 8 block away from Lake Superior and my system stayed up with very little issues until the power went out. Quite a storm. I was impressed.

GO WILD!!!!!!

Here in South Dakota it is pretty windy too. After our install, if we had wind over about 25MPH (several times a week) it would cut out several times an hour, and becoming totally unwatchable when blustery. I went up and tightened the bolts and that improved it somewhat. Then when they came out to install a dish 1000, they apparently peaked this dish better because I have never seen it cut out due to wind even in 70+MPH winds.

If your dish is roof mounted, it should be pretty solid and should take the winds you are seeing. If it doesn't it either is not well enough anchored (stripped/loose, short, or poorly placed bolts), or it is not optimally peaked (or both). I'd get them back out to tighten it up and repeak. If you have the option and have a good view, move the dish to the side of your house most protected from the wind (presuming your wind comes mostly from one direction as here).

Gotta love those Lake Superior storms and winds. I used to live in Hougton MI (Keewenaw Peninsula) and absolutely love that part of the country. Glad to hear you had no issues with signal.

When I had a dish on my roof, it never really had problems with wind, but over time it did eventually get out of alignment and when I redid my roof, I move my dish to a pole mount. I prefer the pole mounts just for easy of cleaning snow if needed and tweaks are easier.

I live just north of Dallas. Last thursday we had a squall line come through that spawned 8 tornados and straight line winds upto 90 MPH. Most people had no wind problems. I know both my Slimline and DISH 500 had no problems.

Well my Dish 500 didn't do so well in a Hurricane Rita back in 2005. I had two dish 500s side by side on a pole that was used for my old Primestar dish and the pole made it just fine. The dishes were both crushed into a permanent C shape and were pushed downward. During Hurricane Humberto last year, My dish 1000.2 sat dish did fine and so did my DIRECTV 18"sat dish . Of course Hurricane Rita was a level 2-3 hurricane depending on where it came on shore and Hurricane Humberto was a hurricane level 1 that formed right off the coast . A difference in 20-30 miles an hour.

hmm we just had 60 mph here in el paso and im good to roll. I even hit the dish with a ladder once. knocked it out of alignment.. didnt eel like paying a serv call so i just repeaked the dish back to where it was at (using the screen and angles) good to roll!

I live in duluth as well about 8 block away from Lake Superior and my system stayed up with very little issues until the power went out. Quite a storm. I was impressed.

GO WILD!!!!!!

You should have had a UPS for the dish and the TV, then you wouldn't have had those issues...

I live near Lubbock, TX. Last Thursday we had very strong winds with gusts to 68 mph. I lost signal on my HD channels. The SD channels were fine. I called and had a service tech at the house Friday. He said the two dishes were loose. He tightened them up with a couple of point inprovement( 43 to 45) on the 622s. He then changed out the LNBs. The improvement went from 45 to 57. I guess LNBs can deteriorate, also. I was thankful that I had the service contract.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts