E lossing another sub.

markr

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Has anyone have a installer refuse to install because they can't ground the dish to where the electric meters are?

I used the movers program and moved from a house to an apartment. I paid the apartment a fee to have the satellite so I have permision. They new this in advance.

When the installer came out the first thing he said was it didn't look good and it was looking southwest but he said there was no way to ground the dish without running the ground wire accross other people areas. He called his supervisor to come out and see if there was something he was missing. About an hour later his superviser came out and said no go. I signed the work order saying that they could not complete the installation. I called Dish after and they were stunned about it and said they have never had this problem before. I had to talk to two people. The second person was the one who cancelled my account and was just as surprised. I was under a 18 month contract but was able to get out of it since they refuse to install it.

There are a lot of satellites throughout the complex even on balconies. The installer said that this is a new policies they have and it began this week. The guy that came out was driving a dish marked van. Was he employed direct from Dish?

I contacted Directv And having them come out Wed. to see if they give me the same story. If they refuse then I will have to go with cable last resort. If this is a dish thing then this will be another reason for people to leave Dish.

Technically, the dish and any ground blocks used need to be grounded per the NEC (Nat'l Elec Code). Not necessarily to the electric meter though. They could pound a ground rod into the ground and attach it that way. Maybe a ground rod was not feasible?, and the electric meter was too far away to be running ground wire? due to your apartment configuration?

The installer and or retailer, and Dish Net could get cited / fined if the unit is not grounded, or if something happens down the road, and it is found that, say, a fire was caused by not having the equipment grounded.

Are there installers out there who install systems without grounding? Yes! Are they wrong in doing so? Yes. Could you find a different installer willing to perform the job? Maybe. Could you install it yourself? ? Thereby purchasing your own equipment, and not having to be bound to an 18 month contract. Things that make you go, "Hmmm."

The more common problems you run into without proper grounding is your electronics tend to go bad because of electrical discharge from the elements. Even the ground rod should be connected to the house ground.

Well have an outside installer install it and sign a waiver that hes not responsible for your house burning up when theres a short because there was NO GROUND...

people are so stubborn..

Dish did this to themselves and the installers are no longer going to work for free.

If he doesn't ground it, Dish will backcharge him and your install was done for free.

So if I was the installer I would have done the same..

Dish did this to themselves and the installers are no longer going to work for free.

If he doesn't ground it, Dish will backcharge him and your install was done for free.

So if I was the installer I would have done the same..

I'm going to say Dish is knee-jerk reacting to customers and the insurance industry. If the place burns down, the 1st thing the customer will say to the insurance adjuster is, "well YEAH...it's not my fault, but I did just have a satellite system installed".

And yes...ultimately the installer takes the brunt of this, and as such is covering his ass. It's a pain to the potential customer, yes. But I'm going to say my livelihood is more important than anyone's television viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)