6000 OTA Module noise question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MarcelV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 24, 2004
I finally pulled ouit the attic my 6000 receiver (for the Voom channels and local OTA) and remember one of the reasons I hated that thing. The fan noise on the OTA module.... :mad:
Anyone ever tried to remove or replace the fan from that module and receiver still working (not to hot)?
Did they fix that at least in the 811?

I have two of the 811 receivers. I've never noticed any fan noise, and I've never noticed either one getting too hot.

Of course, the 811 will be obsolete when MPEG-4 comes around (mid-NOV?).

Yes, the 6000's fan is very loud. There's a post over at AVSForum under HDTV Hardware from about 3 years ago on swapping out a different fan. If you do a search for "6000 fan" you will probably find it.

Regarding the 811 being obsolete, it will take 3 years to swap out all the boxes once they start, so the 811 and 6000 will have a useful life for some time.

DarrellP said:
...Regarding the 811 being obsolete, it will take 3 years to swap out all the boxes once they start, so the 811 and 6000 will have a useful life for some time.
Maybe so, but for me, the day that E* launches an HD program in MPEG-4, the 811 becomes obsolete. :)

DarrellP said:
...There's a post over at AVSForum under HDTV Hardware from about 3 years ago on swapping out a different fan. If you do a search for "6000 fan" you will probably find it.

Thanks Darrell. Found some info on AVS. I, for now, took the fan off and will monitor the box over the next few days. I also will buy me a much better, more quiet fan, just in case the box will start acting up. But for now, it seems ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts