61.5 and 72.7 with Dish 500 ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have read in another thread where people have been able to receive 61.5 and 72.7 with a Dish 500. Is there any tricks to this? I have been having issues trying to accomplish this.

My guess it is due to the fact that it is not 9 degree spacing but is 11.2 degrees instead.

I tried moving the dish to the left a little after peaking 72.7 to compensate for the extra spacing. I also made sure the correct side of the DPP Twin was picking up 72.7 in which facing the dish it would be the eye to the right.

The skew I have set the same as I would for 110/119 in my area. Should it be changed as well?

I'm not 100% sure that would work. Cause on the 1000.4 the 61.5 lnb is father apart from the 72.5 and 77 LNB's. I'm not so sure the dish 500 is big enough. Maybe though. It would be an interesting test.

yes, the dish has to be skewed similar to a 500 used for bell tv(canada). depending on where you live, the dish will have to turn right of the 90 mark(below 90).

The larger distance between the two eyes is not due to the extra 1.2 degrees of spacing, it is the 72.7 and 77 eyes being so much closer together than 61.5 and 72.7.

So the skew is the opposite direction for Eastern Arc than it is for 110/119? No wonder why I am having so much trouble tuning it in. I guess I should look at the D1K.4 settings to get an idea of what to set it at.

I cannot find the user manual anywhere (Dish Network or Retailer Site) to get the skew settings for a Dish 1000.4 to get an idea of what the skew angle is.

Thanks for the link. By the time you compensate skew for not using 77 it would almost be at 90 degrees. It stated 80 degrees in the manual.

Home made 1k4 from dish 500 and 3 DP LNBFs

Home made 1k4 from dish 500 I-adapter and 3 DP LNBFs. Plus two metal bars and 3 bolts with nuts.

Attachments

• homemade1k4.JPG
    homemade1k4.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 381
Not that much - I'm using PSA-37D portable spectrum analyzer for tune.
The drawback of the homemade dish is spacing between LNBFs, so I wouldn't recommend it as permanent, just temporary solution.
It required additional tuning by sliding LNBF; that I-adapter is holding OK (counting that fact is a climate here is perfect without snow or wind ), but I would rather see native 1k4 cluster with own sturdy holder.

I wish I could afford a spectrum analyzer for tuning. That sure does help figure out what satellite your picking up.

That is pretty cool that you can pick all of that up on a Dish 500. I have seen kits on ebay a while back where they had a plastic holder allowing more satellites to be picked up with one dish. I usually get used dishes cheap after they have been out for a while but this dish is so new that I will not see any of those for a while.

My main thing would be to pickup 61.5 and 72.7 with a Dish 500, which would be a lot easier than adding 77 to it I'm sure due to spacing. I have several SuperDishes and if I had a holder to place the eyes into then I would use that. I already have a SuperDish arm mounted and I have been putting an adapter on it to fit the smaller dishes on it. I was going to point a SuperDish at each satellite to make sure I have ample signal for rainfade. Getting the eyes on the reflector arm can be tricky though without modifications.

SuperDish always good for any sat, if you can afford install it, ie space, HOA, etc.
As to use for different sat config -well, we are forced to invent new LNBF mount each time. So, time and our imagination could help here. :)

Actually your goal with two sats 61.5W and 72.7W is much easy :) - spacing is much better plus SD help here, D500 is hard for 72.7W and 77W spacing, by design you're force to sacrifice lower one of the sat signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)