61.5 Channel Missing with good 61.5 signal

swede428

Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
western lower michigan
I just had a new two dish set up intalled. There was trouble right from the first power up with getting the local HD and HD channels off 61.5. I have been on the phone with the installer. I have restarted both of my 722s. The first day it worked and I had my Local HD channels. I lost them again the third day re-booted it again, this time no change, error 004

He told me how to do a "check switch" All three birds I believe 119,110 and 61.5 all show good on all inputs.

Any ideas? It is hard to believe that there is two bad boxes doing exactly the same thing. Is there anything else that could cause this with the check switch ok ??

I did do search before posting this but found nothing just like it.
I did get a screen on one of the local HD channel saying DISH is working on the problem. I understand that is on several screens when there is no pciture

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

DS

Your 61.5 dish may not be aimed properly, it is possible to have most of 61.5 and not have the transponder strong enough to have your HD locals. Do you lose the channels (black screen with either a searching for signal or lost channel screen) or are the channels missing from your guide as well? Check the signal strength for that transponder.

It shows a signal Strength of 59-64, not steady sometimes it drops right out. That is with it set on 61.5 west, Transponder 1. I do not know if that is where all the Local HD, and other mssing channels are at. I did do some more checking (when I read how to get to this menu) and saw where the signal for 61.5 west appears to be getting interupted alot. We have had no heavy weather since it was installed. Under "System Info One" 110 and 119 are good/green 61.5 is error ! red/see details
The details are a lot of signal interuptions on tuner two 61 signal intruptions from 3am till 9am no rain, no fog, and, no interuption on 110 or 119 at all !!

I'm brand new this last week but I think even a newby like me can see a problem here. Does this point to a alignment issue ?? My installer said he is coming with a new box and some different type of LNB. He said the Turbo HD things and local HD on 61.5 is new here since Aug 1 and he believes there is a compatiblity problem with the LNBs. I'm all ear if you want to share info.

Thanks again
Doug

Last edited:
I realized I did not answer your questions:

1.) I get a screen that says error 004 for all Local HD and many many other HD channels. I was told they were mostly the recently added ones.

2.) Yes, they do show on my guide under "all subscribed Channels"

Thanks
Doug

Are there any possible obstructions. The satellite dish needs to have a clear view of the sky. No trees can be in the way. The satellite dish actually points 22° higher than it appears to point. This is just a guess. If you are trying to shoot "under" a tree, or through a "hole" in trees you may be hitting a lower branch. When it's up, you get great signal. But when it sags with wind or just due to the natural movement of the tree through the day, you lose signal.

Well honestly yes there are trees. The man who installed it told me he has 27 years of satellite expeirence so when he pulled out this scope tool that must give him the azimuth and elevation view and he put it there. If I was doing it I would have errored on the side of caution and made it clear everything by a long ways. I understand that the installers get a set price for installs. IF I would have installed it, It would have been aways from the house and would have had to bury cable. Oddly I had the channels the day he left, last Friday and after rebooting holding the button down under the DVR panel on Saturday too but not since. Have you ever herard of compatiblity problems with different LNBs, are the ones with different Freqs. My son is hoping on having them for College Football this Saturday and for NFL on Sunday

So about the dish angle. If you are looking at a Dish that the dish is actually higher than 90 degree straight out from the dish face interestiing. We will see he should be here tomorrow

One more question should the tone one the satellite strength be soild tone. 61.5 shows 59 but it will stop making sound then show a bar again, is that normal??

Any other ideas ??
Thanks for you help

swede428,

Sounds too much like he didn't have the right LNBs and/or dishes on the day of the original installation and tried to use components that aren't compatalble.

On the off chance that you've got a similar problem to what I'm experiencing, reach behind your 722s and unscrew the coax that's going into something that look likes a splitter. After disconnecting both, waiting 10seconds after the second one, reconnect them and see if the problem goes away......for the day(s). I've got a problem where this seems to happen after the early morning update every few days.

Thanks JIMP, I tried the unhook, with no luck.

I got on the roof, my "point dish" signal for 61.5 is 62 and the bar is green. It does not however display a satellite name or LOCKED like 110 and 119 though. I got on the roof and looked at the two Dish 500s.I noticed that both have
119/110 LNBs The one pointed at 110/119 has a dual arm set up.The one pointed (SE in Michigan) at 61.5 has the dual 110/119 LNB but only has one hooked up and that coaxs runs over to the dish pointed at the 110/119 Sat SW here in Michigan. Is there actually a 61.5 LNB that they were supposed to have.

Again any help is appreciated

Doug

Does the one pointed at 61.5 say DPPlus on it. If so he was way wrong for putting that up there. The one pointed at 110/119 should say DPPlus, but the other LNB *should* have been a DP Dual or Single (only one eye). It would probably work with a DP Twin in the 61.5 dish, but that's really not what the IN port on your 110/119 dish was designed for.

You most likely have the wrong LNB for the 61.5. It must be a dish pro twin or a dish pro single. The in port on the LNB DPPlus 110,119 dish is designed for the input of an add'l dish. The check switch readout will also tell you what kind of LNB's you have outside.

One more question should the tone one the satellite strength be soild tone. 61.5 shows 59 but it will stop making sound then show a bar again, is that normal??

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=14944&d=1172696275

Read page 9 first as to LNB compatability for your second dish. Then read pages 7 and 8.

What seems strange to me is that at one time, you were getting your locals which comes off of 61.5.

Try tuning the weather channel or CNBC as these two channels come in on 61.5 and 129. Once on either channel, using your remote control, press "info" twice and see if they're showing 61.5. If they're showing 129, then my bet is that when you did a check disk, you lost your 61.5 satellite. It probably downloaded a new program guide.

My new 24" dish arrived today. I got it to received 61.5 in lieu of 129 on the 1000.2 dish. Got it oversized to minimize rainfade. Your signal strength varies depending on your transponder/spotbeam. I'm in central Alabama and was able to get 87 on one of the transponders. You get a solid green line (no flashing back to red or retesting) with it saying that you've got the 61.5. Also be sure that you've got the dish 500 in the antenna aiming menu selected. On the 1000.2 dish, I was only able to get up to a 52 signal strength on 129 on tansponder 13and that was with additional tweaking of the dish.

The installer returned today and the problem is resolved. Here is the explanation I was given. First let me answer a couple comments. I checked and both LNB are DPPlus.
Also JimP I was working 2nd Shift and did not see you post till after the problem was fixed. I do appreciate the info that pushing info twice gives you what sat you are on. TWC SD 119 HD 61.5, during the problem I only had SD

The installer said that there is a switch in/on the 110/119 Dish that receives a signal/coax from the 61.5 to combine the signal. That was the problem, either it wasn't the right one or it went bad. When I did the check switch it showed all green OK. So I guess that would lead me to the wrong one. He came got on the roof, fixed it and was gone in 15 minutes.
So what ever the exact problem was he didn't have to troubleshoot it, re-boot it or anything.

Thanks to all you guys for your help. I have some friends that are going to purchase Dish. I think I am going to refer them to a different retailer. This retailer I used is a computer store in my little home town. As soon as I said I do, I was dealing with a different retailer about 75 miles away and his installers. I know there are local installers so I'm going to ask them who they do work.

Thanks again
Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)