612 or 722?

hdaddikt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Clovis, CA
I want to add one receiver (have a 722k) for a new HDTV. Thinking seriously of the 612 which fills all my needs for that room. 1000.2 is installed, additional receiver line is already run, no problems there.
But I keep running into trouble threads on this receiver. It seems it has been going through a lot of updates the last several months.
I don't need a 2 tuner DVR, I don't even need OTA...but maybe in the interest of reliability the 722 would be a smarter move?.....open to suggestions.

Had a similar situation and opted for the 612 in hind sight think in my case it was a mistake, my 612 is still buggy, if I had to do it over again I would go with the 722

Bob

I have an owned 722 and two leased 612s. They're all buggy! Actually one of the 612's has never been any problem. But my 722 and my MBR 612 both lock up often enough to be really annoying, and both receivers have crashed and deleted most of our recordings.

Also, just to play devils advocate: If you are leasing since you say you already have a 722k, adding one more will max out your account for leased receivers. Even though the 612 is a dual tuner DVR, it only counts as one receiver. The 722s will each count as 2 maxing out your account at 4. If you lease a 612, you still have the option of leasing another receiver sometime down the road.

Also, just to play devils advocate: If you are leasing since you say you already have a 722k, adding one more will max out your account for leased receivers. Even though the 612 is a dual tuner DVR, it only counts as one receiver. The 722s will each count as 2 maxing out your account at 4. If you lease a 612, you still have the option of leasing another receiver sometime down the road.

Yes, I know about the 4 tuner rule...although I can never see this being an issue, in fact, two 722s it will be overkill, but I appreciate the heads-up!

Well, regardless, I bit the bullet, held my breath, and took the 612. Now into the 2nd week, no issues at all!
Smaller HDD is not a concern, since the 722 does the bulk of our recordings.

FWIW, all my receivers (722 and 612s) have ceased deleting programs of their own accord. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)