622 5.1 Audio Question

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Today I got my two 622's installed and I am having a problem with the audio. I run both of my 622's through JVC Receivers via HDMI. I can not get the JVC Receiver to recognize and 5.1 material. Everything is output in 2.1. This was never a problem for my HD-Tivo. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the 622 to output in 5.1 via HDMI?

~Josh

beatboy77 said:
Today I got my two 622's installed and I am having a problem with the audio. I run both of my 622's through JVC Receivers via HDMI. I can not get the JVC Receiver to recognize and 5.1 material. Everything is output in 2.1. This was never a problem for my HD-Tivo. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the 622 to output in 5.1 via HDMI?

~Josh

Connect the 622 directly to your TV with HDMI and then use optical ouput from 622 to your JVC. Should work just fine.

beatboy77 said:
The HDMI on my HD-Tivo supports 5.1. It also does on my Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD Player. So the 622 is incapable of sending 5.1 via HDMI?

~Josh

Rexord was correct, the VIP622 can not output 5.1 audio through HDMI. This REALLY suprises me considering how advanced this DVR is. Maybe it will later down the road with a software upgrade.

~Josh

ripnbigc said:
HDMI doesn't support 5.1.
It does, and always has. From http://www.hdmi.org/about/faq.asp:
Does HDMI support Dolby 5.1 audio and high-resolution audio formats?
Yes. From the start, HDMI was defined to carry 8-channels, of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio, which exceeds all current consumer media formats. In addition, HDMI can carry any flavor of compressed audio format such as Dolby or DTS. (Such compressed formats are the only multi-channel or high-resolution audio formats that can be carried across the older S/PDIF or AES/EBU interfaces.) Additionally, most existing HDMI sources can output any compressed stream, and the newer sources can output uncompressed 6-channel, 96kHz audio from a DVD-Audio disk. There are A/V receivers on the market that can accept and process the 6- or 8-channel audio from HDMI.​
The question is why isn't Dish sending 5.1 audio over their "Digital Audio/Video output" that uses an HDMI connector but isn't being called HDMI.