Why are there only 2 HD local channels?????

C

ceeveeb

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 23, 2005
19
0
Hello,

I am only getting two HD locals. This in spite of the "roll-out". They are 6427 and 6429.

So where is NBC, ABC, PBS etc. etc. etc.????:confused:


Shouldn't locals be more than two channels in a major market?

Can anyone please help what is going on???

-edit-

I have a dish 1000 system and ViP211

thanx
 
G

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
PBS HD not available to anyone yet and I believe the two stations you are not receiving have not signed a retransmission concent with E*. E* cannot active the channels without that. I would ask your two local stations that question.
 
H

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
1,973
0
If memory serves right, NBC is Clear Channel in San Antonio - and this would be the first Clear Channel HD LIL - thus Clear Channel probably has not signed the agreement for rebroadcast with Dish.

The same is probably true for the other channel.
 
waltinvt

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
garys said:
PBS HD not available to anyone yet and I believe the two stations you are not receiving have not signed a retransmission concent with E*. E* cannot active the channels without that. I would ask your two local stations that question.

That brings up a question. Why on earth would any station not want to be carried on satellite ? In most locations it must increase their "real" market exposure.
 
scooby2

scooby2

Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 25, 2005
659
0
Chicago, IL
waltinvt said:
That brings up a question. Why on earth would any station not want to be carried on satellite ? In most locations it must increase their "real" market exposure.
Unfortunately the greedy corporations such as Clear Channel, Tribune, Sinclair, etc. want to be paid for the right to re-broadcast their channels. I would guess they do not get any extra ad revenue for HD channels yet.
 
Last edited:
riffjim4069

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
35,251
327
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
scooby2 said:
Unfortunately the greedy corporations such as Clear Channel, Tribune, Sinclair, etc. want to be paid for the right to re-broadcast their channels.
They have a right to be fairly compensated for their programming to be offered on a pay TV service....after all, the networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) do have the highest rated shows. Personally speaking, folks are free to erect an antenna and receive them free of charge; use the public spectrum as it was intended to be used.

According to your analogy, I can freely capture and distribute local broadcast signal to whomever I wish. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way and that is why pay TV services like DBS and Cable must pay for carriage of the broadcast networks. Broadcasters pay to use the public spectrum and must abide my a cornucopia of rules and regulations. If folks don't like it...again, put up an antenna, contact the FCC (regulatory oversight), or move to a more desirable location.

However, I do agree that carriage fees should be moderately priced for the benefit of all. BTW, advertising revenues appear to be drying up that's to the DVR. Broadcasters (Cable programmers as well) must find more creative ways to generate revenue in order to produce high quality shows like CSI, Numb3rs, Invasion, etc. It should be interesting to witness the shakeout of programmers and providers as new technologies emergence and penetrate the home market (DVR, IPTV, Whole Home Networks, place shifting, etc.).
 
waltinvt

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
riffjim4069 said:
They have a right to be fairly compensated for their programming to be offered on a pay TV service....

Why ? They're already "compensated" by their advertisers based on the amount of viewers they have. It's logical that if their viewership increases, their price for advertising would reciprocate.

riffjim4069 said:
....after all, the networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) do have the highest rated shows.

Right - and they're moving to some flavor of VOD because the affiliate's viewership is getting bigger? I don't think so.

Affilliates should be jumping at any chance to increase their market range - if anything, paying to have their signal carried, not the other way around.

riffjim4069 said:
Personally speaking, folks are free to erect an antenna and receive them free of charge; use the public spectrum as it was intended to be used.

That statment doesn't even deserve a response.

riffjim4069 said:
According to your analogy, I can freely capture and distribute local broadcast signal to whomever I wish.

That's been going on in rural America for decades. Someone on a hill puts up an antenna and distributes it to his neighbors in the valley. The stations are damn glad to gain these viewers.
 
J

Jordan420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 20, 2003
545
0
Seattle, WA
My question is, why would E* roll out HD lil in a market they do not have a retransmision agreement with the 4 major networks?
 
C

ceeveeb

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 23, 2005
19
0
That is exactly my point....


seems like this should not be such a big deal


they are already broadcasting standard def locals

not to mention


I AM PAYING for this each month:mad:

so it seems I should then get all the locals
 
waltinvt

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
3,439
1
Vermont
Jordan420 said:
My question is, why would E* roll out HD lil in a market they do not have a retransmision agreement with the 4 major networks?

Asper usual, it's a money thing.

There were probably a fairly significant number of subs that dropped their Locals (analog) with Dish when they were forced to choose between their analog DNS and LiLs last year.

Now as far as HD LiLs, Dish is just adding them to the current SD LiLs package, so even if Dish only adds 2 out of the 4 HD networks and you want them, you're going to have to sub to the Dish locals package.

I believe it also means you loose any distants you had (not sure about grandfather'd stuff) and since that pleases the affiliates, it probably helps as a bargining chip in the retrans rights negoiations.

I think "E" basically figures most HD subs will pick up the Locals if there's at least 1 or 2 HD networks included. That may also force the remaining affiliates to conceed just to stay competative.
 
C

ceeveeb

Thread Starter
Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 23, 2005
19
0
I can absolutely confirm that the chart you linked to is wrong.


There is NO ABC available at this time in the San Antonio market.

Again, why all the noise and press releases etc. etc.

"We are rolling out the HD locals in San Antonio"

"San Antonio HD locals available"




When it is simply not true.


How about, "Two local channels will be available in San Antonio"


maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong but it appears that DirectTV does not have this problem in the San Antonio market.


Any thoughts on when this will be fixed??????????
 
B

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,693
0
EKB Annex
ceeveeb said:
I can absolutely confirm that the chart you linked to is wrong.
My mistake, verified against Tony's Dish Channel Chart. I haven't been here for a couple weeks so just now seeing this, but I also didn't get any e-mail notification from the link at the bottom of the page. The corrected page with the ABC channel number removed will be put up tonight.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top