622: $99 vs. $299. I found the "Catch"

Heres what I was told:

I called in during the tech chat to get info on the upgrade and since I 'own' my 921, I can keep it and send back the leased 522 and still get the $99 deal. (According to 'Cindy')

Why would you even consider giving your *owned* 921 up? It will still work as a partial HD/SD receiver with OTA digital tuner until E* switches all of its HD stream headers to mpeg-4.

Then at that point, you can part it out and use the hard drive for something else. (2nd drive in your PC)

E* won't be getting mine for $25.

Mark_AR said:
Heres what I was told:

I called in during the tech chat to get info on the upgrade and since I 'own' my 921, I can keep it and send back the leased 522 and still get the $99 deal. (According to 'Cindy')

Why would you even consider giving your *owned* 921 up? It will still work as a partial HD/SD receiver with OTA digital tuner until E* switches all of its HD stream headers to mpeg-4.

Then at that point, you can part it out and use the hard drive for something else. (2nd drive in your PC)

E* won't be getting mine for $25.

I do not want to get embroiled in another one of these, but no one is getting a $200 rebate for sending in a leased 522. 'Cindy' misinformed you. Check the Tech Chat recap here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56297

Make sure and read down. The only receivers eligible for the $200 rebate are the 921 and the 942. You have to send one of those in to get the rebate.

This an email reply I got on Tuesday:

Thank you for your email. For the Model 622 receiver there is a monthly rental fee of $6.00. You may upgrade the equipment for $299.00 and would not need to return any equipment. If you wait until April 1, 2006 we will be offering a $200 rebate for the upgrade to the 622 with the return of a 921 or 942 only.

Thank you,

Natalie Winters

Executive Office of Dish Network

I see it now in the VIP swap screen capture. Cindy was wrong.(She:devil:)

I should have made her complete my order that night. *SIGH*:(

There is no point in me waiting until April for the rebate because I am not relinquishing my 921. Plus I have all of the Matrix movies in HD. :D

I will use it until it goes to that big hardware place in the sky and get my $200 worth.

I am not going to relinquish my 921 either. It has not given me any significant problems. I never used it for OTA. I had a minor caller ID problem and a problem with the aspect getting hung up but they were all resolved. I have it in the living room and am going to put it in the bedroom and transfer the 501 to another bedroom. I own all of my receivers but have decided to lease particularly in light of this upgrade.

I ordered the 622 on 2/1 and its got an install date of 2/23. I have all Dish Pro equipment. The two LNB (one single and one twin) and the two Dishes (two 500's one at 61.5 and the other for 110 &119) were professionally installed. I did the installation of the two DP34 switches and the cable. I also did a self install of the 921 and 811.

I haven't received the 622 yet but expect a UPS delivery next week. Its too bad Dish can't email the UPS tracking number ahead of time.

I really see no need for an installer but I don't want to complicate the issue at this point.

Last edited:
(BTW, Can someone confirm that the 622 and 921 does require 2 outputs from the DPP 44switch. I know that you can use the separator. I assume that is inserted after you tie up 2 taps on the switch).
When using a DPP Separator, only ONE port is required on the DPP44.

In other words, a DPP44 can drive FOUR dual-tuner receivers (of any model), using ONE cable from the switch to the DPP Separator mounted to the back of the receiver.

Thanks Simple Simon! That will cut the "switch count" down by one.

sonnyboy11 said:
I do not want to get embroiled in another one of these, but no one is getting a $200 rebate for sending in a leased 522. 'Cindy' misinformed you. Check the Tech Chat recap here

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56297

Make sure and read down. The only receivers eligible for the $200 rebate are the 921 and the 942. You have to send one of those in to get the rebate.

I am also not trying to get into an argument with anybody about this issue, but I do think it would be foolish for us to believe ANYTHING that they say on a Charley Chat, Tech Chat, or anything else until it is actually happening. Charley seemed very sure of himself when he promised all the VOOM channels to us before the end of 2005, when he mislead us about MPEG4 being a long way off, and very sure of himself in January when he said all the new channels would be in MPEG4.

Dish assured us all last year that you could not lease a 942, but it is not hard to find people on this forum who did just that. Come April, people will start calling, and then we will find out if you can only get the rebate if you own a 942 or 921, lease one, can send back any receiver, or have to give them equipment we own! Plus, we will find out if different people can get different deals, via CSR roulette or emailing Dish. I will certainly be more inclined to believe you good people who have had a personal experience then I will any talking head from Dish at this point. They have proven they will lie to customers (I just read Tom Bombadil's experience in another thread). Let's not be too quick to take them at their word!
At least, that's my thought! :D

KeithInDallas said:
I am also not trying to get into an argument with anybody about this issue, but I do think it would be foolish for us to believe ANYTHING that they say on a Charley Chat, Tech Chat, or anything else until it is actually happening. Charley seemed very sure of himself when he promised all the VOOM channels to us before the end of 2005, when he mislead us about MPEG4 being a long way off, and very sure of himself in January when he said all the new channels would be in MPEG4.

Dish assured us all last year that you could not lease a 942, but it is not hard to find people on this forum who did just that. Come April, people will start calling, and then we will find out if you can only get the rebate if you own a 942 or 921, lease one, can send back any receiver, or have to give them equipment we own! Plus, we will find out if different people can get different deals, via CSR roulette or emailing Dish. I will certainly be more inclined to believe you good people who have had a personal experience then I will any talking head from Dish at this point. They have proven they will lie to customers (I just read Tom Bombadil's experience in another thread). Let's not be too quick to take them at their word!

VERY VERY well put!!!:up

In an email discussion with a CSR this week where I was voicing my displeasure at the deal for rebate on a 921 or 942 for a 622, this is part of what he told me:

We want to apologize for not meeting your expectations in customer service. We pride ourselves with providing each and every customer with a positive experience when contacting us. Feedback from our customers, both positive and negative, drives the quality of our customer service. It is apparent in our quest for providing our customers with world class customer service, we have fallen short. The decisions made are based on company policy. If we find that a policy is negatively impacting the majority of our customer’s satisfaction, that policy is scrutinized for effectiveness. Again, we apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused by this issue.

What this says to me is that they hear that enough of the customer base doesn't like a particular policy, maybe they'll review it and possibly change it. So, if you don't like the rebate policy and just want a flat-rate upgrade fee of $49 or $99, then let them know about it.

KeithInDallas said:

I certainly agree that anything could and probably will happen since this is Dish we are talking about (I think it would be decent of them to offer people who own the 811 the rebate). What I cannot understand is how people with leased equipment are thinking they should get a $200 rebate (other than the 942 people who paid the $250 to lease). Why should Dish do that? I mean, I am not defending them or their policies per say, but why would anyone think they should get a $200 rebate for leasing, let's say, an 811 or a 6000? I lease my 811 and cannot fathom why Dish would give me $200 off my 622 just for that.

Now, if we want to approach this from a different angle (forget the rebate issue for a moment)- that $299 is simply too much to charge to lease a new HD PVR, then that's different. I agree it is a pretty steep price even though I paid it. I suppose somewhere down the road that price could come down, and maybe that will happen sooner rather than later. But grumbling that we should all get a $200 rebate just for waiting 2 months from launch is ridiculous, imo.

SimpleSimon said:
When using a DPP Separator, only ONE port is required on the DPP44.

In other words, a DPP44 can drive FOUR dual-tuner receivers (of any model), using ONE cable from the switch to the DPP Separator mounted to the back of the receiver.

How about the DP-34? Right now a Dish 500 + small dish for 61.5, so 3 sat lines into DP-34 and 3 lines out - 2 to a 942 and 3rd to a 508. Will this same setup work if I get rid of the 508, keep the 942 and add a 622 or would I have to run a 4th cable from the switch?

I prefer the 942 to the 622 anyway. I only record OTA HD and am not fond of the $6.00 HD access fee the 622 has. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation and for that reason I believe the 942 will NOT drop in value as many doomsayers predict.

It would greatly surprise me if the 942 does not fall in value at some time next year, when Dish quits transmitting HD in MPEG2. At that point, it will only be useful as a SD DVR and for OTA HD.

However it should hold a reasonable value then, as it would still be superior to a 625.

dish unit 622

yes is any up front money to rent a hdtv 622 unit if so how much and what need to do to get i wiil be new to dish;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)