622: $99 vs. $299. I found the "Catch"

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
I'm sure that others have figured this out, but it may be lost in the many posts.

According to the CSR that I just talked to......

If you are an existing HD Customer with a 921 or 942 you can order your 622 now for $299. You MAY return ANY existing receiver and get a $25 credit on your bill.

If you do the $99 rebate deal you MUST return your 921 or 942 to get the $199 rebate.

I just scheduled my install for 3/11. I'm paying the $299 so that I can keep my 921for my DVR in the bedroom. Later, I will probably upgrade to another 622.

I'm going to send back one of my unneeded 301s for the $25 credit.

Dish confirmed that the deal comes with Dish 1000 and any needed switches, etc.

YMMV.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm doing $299 deal now and will send in an 811. They would not let me lease another 211, so I'm just going to purchase another 211. I'm going to keep the 942.

Scooters said:
Later, I will probably upgrade to another 622.
Not within the next 12 months though. As I understand, only one 622 upgrade per year is allowed!

Come on Scooters, send that 942 in and get your $25 credit! :D

I can just see people biting their nails hoping that their rebate gets accepted! How many times have I sent in rebates only to get nothing back at all, and without any explanation as to why.

"You didn't send in your 942 with the $700 receipt from last year! Therefore, we won't give you $200 for it. Thanks for the 942 though!"

Don't be a lemming here!

I sold my 942 for over $500! I've got my 622 on order for $649. I will pay about $130 to upgrade to the new unit, and I OWN the unit!

A 942 just sold on EBay about 2 hours ago for $510.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Dish-...ryZ67893QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Take a look! They didn't go down in value after 2/1/06. I don't know why, but someone is willing to pay a lot of money for them.

If you own the 942, you can grandfather the old HD Pack for $15. If you do the new lease, you are stuck with HD Bronze for $55/mo.

My bill will be $15/mo for Old HD Pack + Voom + $6 Locals + $6 access fee + $6 DVR fee. That is a whopping $32/mo for 15 HD channels + the MPEG-4 locals.

If I do HD Bronze, it will cost me $55/mo + $6 DVR fee = $61/mo. I save $29/mo, and the upgrade cost me $130 and I own the box and I get more programming (MPEG-4 locals) than I got before.

Dish wants to stick it to their customers. This is the only scenario I have found which lets the customer stick it back to dish.

If you want to send me your 942 for $25, I will gladly buy it from you. Don't be surprised if you see it on EBay shortly thereafter though.

Here's an interesting Q: When you mix HD receivers of MPEG2 and MPEG4 and upgrade your programming to HD bronze or higher, do your MPEG2 HD receivers recognize the current "MPEG2" HD channels still? I'd imagine so but just checking.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Here's an interesting Q: When you mix HD receivers of MPEG2 and MPEG4 and upgrade your programming to HD bronze or higher, do your MPEG2 HD receivers recognize the current "MPEG2" HD channels still? I'd imagine so but just checking.

Yes

ILYA... Actually the rumored "one per year" rule is the main reason that I'm keeping the 921 for now.

I suspect that a second (small) HDTV will appear at my house before long. I want to make sure that I can get (afford) a HD-DVR for it.

JSANDERS... Interesting points. The CSR and I did the math. I have the Everything pack with locals. The new Platinum Pack with the additional HD channels comes out to be the same price.

Scooters said:
ILYA... Actually the rumored "one per year" rule is the main reason that I'm keeping the 921 for now.

I suspect that a second (small) HDTV will appear at my house before long. I want to make sure that I can get (afford) a HD-DVR for it.

JSANDERS... Interesting points. The CSR and I did the math. I have the Everything pack with locals. The new Platinum Pack with the additional HD channels comes out to be the same price.
HdBronze would be the same as what I am paying now(AT60, $9.99 HDpack) except that I would have to start paying for my locals(for the EPG info on OTA channels), and then there is the DHP plan ontop of that. So in reallity, it would be $10 more a month.

RobertsD said:
HdBronze would be the same as what I am paying now(AT60, $9.99 HDpack) except that I would have to start paying for my locals(for the EPG info on OTA channels), and then there is the DHP plan ontop of that. So in reallity, it would be $10 more a month.

With the Bronze Pack, you pay $20/mo for the HD Pack.

The question is WHY are they still paying that much for them? Do they NOT know that they cannot be used to activate MPEG-4 HD programming?

jsanders said:
With the Bronze Pack, you pay $20/mo for the HD Pack.
I know, thats why it is the same price as my entire monthly bill. But then I would still have to pay for the locals and DHP, so it would end up being $10 more a month.

dlsnyder: I assume that it has to be active on your account. They wanted the receiver number off of the one that I was going to send them and, I think, looked it up on my account. They said that I was not obligated to send it in. However, I could do-so if I wanted the credit.

On the other hand, I might end up selling the301 on e-bay. Geeeee, I could probably use the shiny box return box that Dish is sending me to pack it up for the new e-bay owner!:D

Jsanders ... Congrats. You are a WINNER!!!

$130 to upgrade an owned 942 to an owned 622 is $544 better than what Dish is offering for the same thing ($25 credit and $699 for the 622).

Again, I don't understand why Dish is sticking it so badly to their HD subs.

I think this promotion should be named the "Stick'n it to you in HD" upgrade plan.

I have no idea why people are paying over $250 for a 942. I would still pick one up for OTA HD and SD recordings but not at $530.

How many hours of SD does the 942 do anyway? My mouth almost dropped when i saw the 622 doing 300 hours.

Just like any other receiver that just came out in the past (the early adopters) will get the worst deal but the thrill to be among the first to get it. It just depends on whether you think its worth putting that much extra into something to get it a year or two earlier before everyone else does at a cheaper price.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:

I'm sorry to disagree with the previous poster that told you otherwise. I just got my 622 today and still have a 942 in the other room. The new MPEG4 (MPEG2 with MPEG4 headers) channels are only apparent in my 622's guide. I cannot tune to them on my 942.

Kaydigi said:
I have no idea why people are paying over $250 for a 942. I would still pick one up for OTA HD and SD recordings but not at $530.

I wanted a dual tuner HD box. The 942 has been a great buy for me, it has made my viewing much better and made buying a HD tv worthwhile. The PIP and watch one whilst recording another has been great, I dont have to go watch tv elsewhere whilst my wife is watching dancing with the stars or the grammy's and she doesnt have to go elsewhere when im watching scifi friday. Improved quality of life was easily worth $500 on ebay.

Kaydigi said:
How many hours of SD does the 942 do anyway? My mouth almost dropped when i saw the 622 doing 300 hours.
180 SD/25 HD according to http://ekb.dbstalk.com/101

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts