owning vs leasing

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
Is my research correct in that if you buy your equipment (ie: Hopper 3 and a Joey 4k) that you'd still pay a monthly fee for that equipment? Meaning there is no advantage in buying such equipment on eBay/resale places?
But, buying additional remotes is ok, correct?
Thanks for my first post!
Soon to be Dish TV customer.

There is no monthly fee for the "primary" receiver so there aren't any discounts available. The 4K Joey would be a candidate for a discount of $2/month if you bought one outright. It would take more than six years (77.5 months) to recover that investment at current street prices for a 4K Joey (ignoring any other things you could have used the money for).

Yes you do pay a monthly fee for owned equipment but it’s less
The fees are the same.

First tv is free
Additional tvs are $7 per month
Additional hoppers if needed are $15 per month

There's two differences between leasing and purchasing. Leasing you get the equipment free but requires a two year contract. Also if you remove a leased receiver, dish will want it to be sent back. Owning the receivers means you pay up front which is up to $350 for a hopper and $50 for each Joey, and a wally is $50-100 I can't ever remember. But if you remove a purchased receiver you keep it and it can be reactivated later if needed. Because of this, as already stated wallys are really the only receiver worth intentionally purchasing for when you might only need it a few months out if the year in an rv or cabin or something along those lines.

Also you are allowed 6 leased receivers per account and any additional receivers must be purchased.

Is my research correct in that if you buy your equipment (ie: Hopper 3 and a Joey 4k) that you'd still pay a monthly fee for that equipment? Meaning there is no advantage in buying such equipment on eBay/resale places?
But, buying additional remotes is ok, correct?
Thanks for my first post!
Soon to be Dish TV customer.
You also have the ability to freeze and restart services on owned equipment without penalty

I've seen before, and this thread, that the "first" receiver is fee free but on a new install the installer is telling me it's $10/month for the Hopper 3 and 7$/month for each joey. Why am I seeing first receiver free of fees when Dish says $10

I've seen before, and this thread, that the "first" receiver is fee free but on a new install the installer is telling me it's $10/month for the Hopper 3 and 7$/month for each joey. Why am I seeing first receiver free of fees when Dish says $10
If the installer brings a Joey, you'll pay $7 for it as it will be "leased". If you buy your own, you'll pay $5. At $2/month savings, the buy-back takes a while.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The $10 is probably the dvr fee. $10 would be the dvr fee for a hopper duo or $15 for all other hoppers. However on new customers the $15 is discounted to $10 for first two years. Joeys are also discounted for two years from $7 to $5.

No one has mentioned lease vs own equipment failure liability. Years ago Dish would help you even on owned if you added the protection plan. Do they still do this?

I never thought about it but wonder if Dish would let you buy the leased equipment you have?

I am far from rich but the savings vs leasing is not enough savings to make me buy! That peace of mind is worth it to me!

This must of changed sometime in the last year or so.
This changed more than two years ago (I checked my bills as far back as they show online). The below post suggests that the program would begin in January 2021:

No one has mentioned lease vs own equipment failure liability. Years ago Dish would help you even on owned if you added the protection plan. Do they still do this?
Probably. That's clearly a question that you should be asking DISH.
I never thought about it but wonder if Dish would let you buy the leased equipment you have?
Another question for DISH. Unless you're planning on going month-to-month with the receiver, I can't see much benefit; especially if your leased equipment is getting up there in years. Trading cheap replacements (without the Protection Plan) for the paltry savings and up-front investment (and an eventual Protection Plan subscription should it fail before you upgrade) doesn't sound like a winner.

Just FYI, when I upgraded from a HWS and an OWNED Joey 1, they took the Joey without replacement or reimbursement. That is the one time I got into a somewhat heated discussion with. Dish CSR. No dice.

NBD now, as I don’t use a Joey anymore and if they replaced it, it would have been with a Joey 3. Not the Joey I would use today.

I am far from rich but the savings vs leasing is not enough savings to make me buy! That peace of mind is worth it to me!
Yes, we will replace purchased equipment if you set up a tech visit.

And no you cannot buy out already leased equipment.

For each receiver you'd save $24 per year. So Just for a Joey it would take 2 years to make it up in savings. Plus an additional two years for additional receivers.

Yes, we will replace purchased equipment if you set up a tech visit.
That's likely only part of the answer. Will the replacements be "purchased" and come with the cost of the visit or will the replacement STB come with a lease-entry fee/MSRP purchase and/or a programming commitment?

In the past, if you wanted a "purchased" replacement, it had to be done under the Protection Plan and it did NOT require a truck roll. Tech visits cost more than a purchased Joey.

That's likely only part of the answer. Will the replacements be "purchased" and come with the cost of the visit or will the replacement STB come with a lease-entry fee/MSRP purchase and/or a programming commitment?

In the past, if you wanted a "purchased" replacement, it had to be done under the Protection Plan and it did NOT require a truck roll. Tech visits cost more than a purchased Joey.
If a purchased receiver is replaced by a tech it will still be considered purchased.

If you have a protection plan, tech visits are free. However if you don't have one of you argue a little or even threaten to cancel they will waive the tech visit fee.

If a purchased receiver is replaced by a tech it will still be considered purchased.
That's not the issue. The issue is how much the replacement "purchased" receiver is going to cost. You make it sound as if they do this for the cost of a truck roll whether you have DISH Protect or not.
If you have a protection plan, tech visits are free. However if you don't have one of you argue a little or even threaten to cancel they will waive the tech visit fee.
It shouldn't come as a surprise that most don't subscribe to any of the three DISH Protect plans. What used to be the common practice (and it may still be) was to sign up for a DISH Protect plan when a purchased receiver failed and then unsubscribe after the minimum term. Given that the MTBF of a typical STB is measured in years, it may not make sense to subscribe full-time at $131.88/year. YMMV, depending on your environment and/or weather.