Owning versus Leasing Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BornABruin

Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a long time DirecTV subcriber. I have a DVR and a regular reciever that I own. My receiver (an old HugesNet model) died recently -- doesn't power up anymore. I called DirecTV and I guess the normal thing is to lease your gear from DirecTV. So I can replace my old receiver with a D12 for the price of shipping if I lease it, but if I want to buy the receiver I pay $149 plus 19.95 shipping.

So it sounds like the better deal is to lease the gear from DirecTV. Question -- am I missing something? In otherwords, is there any advantage to owning my own receiver? Or disavanatage in leasing the receiver?

I'm a long time DirecTV subcriber. I have a DVR and a regular reciever that I own. My receiver (an old HugesNet model) died recently -- doesn't power up anymore. I called DirecTV and I guess the normal thing is to lease your gear from DirecTV. So I can replace my old receiver with a D12 for the price of shipping if I lease it, but if I want to buy the receiver I pay $149 plus 19.95 shipping.

So it sounds like the better deal is to lease the gear from DirecTV. Question -- am I missing something? In otherwords, is there any advantage to owning my own receiver? Or disavanatage in leasing the receiver?

Not really the advantages now as there use to be.

I use to own all my recvrs, since '06 I have leased and been very happy.
Much easier to upgrade with technology changing so quickly, I would never be able to keep up if I was buying all of them.

About only advantage to owning, is if you want to shut off a receiver(s) periodically, like in guest rooms, RV's, etc. to save the monthly service charges. (you can't shut off a leased box w/out returning it, then you would have to start all over again to get one when you wanted it again)

Other than that, no other advantages...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)