Owning vs Leasing

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
Curious to know if I have to pay any additional charges per month if I purchase my own receiver? Long story short, the refurbished 211 they gave me is acting up in the audio department. I can get a new unit for $100. If that helps me to avoid the leasing fee, I may do so. Thanks in advance.

The 508's are desirable because they incur no DVR fee. Sell them and recover some of your money. I think I got $85 for my 501 last year.

Does anybody else think that it is crazy they are charging equipment fees for receivers not owned by them?

insane isnt it?

Es new direction is going to hurt them bad once the next quarters results are in.

But heck charlie said on air were expensive keep sending your paychecks ........

they will care once churn eats at their bottom line:)

Or all providers will jack up fees dramatically:(

Whatever they call it, we just need to decide if the total bill is worth it, and move to another provider if not (& if it's cheaper elsewhere). No point in getting upset.

Whatever they call it, we just need to decide if the total bill is worth it, and move to another provider if not (& if it's cheaper elsewhere). No point in getting upset.
That's too simple, Navy! There are people who thrive on 'upset.'

cable card fee is cheap like 3 or 4 bucks a month.

i prefer owning sat receivers since i churned thru new models and sold my cast offs fopr a good price.

made big bucks on legacy dishplayers and was free to upgrade hard drives, my 522s got upgraded to 625s.

cant do any of this with leased boxes:(

Even leased boxes have upgrade fees. sometimes 200 bucks.

With careful shopping I could often buy boxes pretty cheap.

The real loser was my 721, it was so unreliable I dumped it just to be rid of it and its 7 minute reboot time. That box was a train wreck of software with no limits, put in too many timers box would crash and endlessely reboot till you got back under the max timer limit no one at E knew about, wouldnt download new software off a 3 sat system, had really bad tuners, lip synch and spontaneous reboots, taking 7 minutes to recover, the list of hassles was endless:(

my 522s and 625s were the best of all the DVR receivers I had. They just worked nearly all of the time.

all in all i did good with owning my boxes:) and no return shipping fees at cancelation:)

Somethinmg I really like about my TIVO, turn tv on its on no waking up receiver:)

Last edited:
No

insane isnt it?

Es new direction is going to hurt them bad once the next quarters results are in.

But heck charlie said on air were expensive keep sending your paychecks ........

they will care once churn eats at their bottom line:)

Or all providers will jack up fees dramatically:(

No I think it may be a good thing. They got rid of you and goaliebob. :D

No I think it may be a good thing. They got rid of you and goaliebob. :D

yeah its every companies goal to increase churn dramatically to 750,000 and shrink by 19,000........ heck replacement customers only cost about 700 bucks each....

every stock holders dream:)

yep

yeah its every companies goal to increase churn dramatically to 750,000 and shrink by 19,000........ heck replacement customers only cost about 700 bucks each....

every stock holders dream:)

To get rid of a customer like you I would've done almost anything when I had a biz. You are to high maintenance w/ too little return. Quit belaboring the point that you feel the beancounters are screwing customers. We all know your feelings, you've said it a million times. Frankly we are just tired of hearing you whine & moan. :(

my bill must of averaged 100 bucks a month for 13 years, some $15,600.00

in that time i never asked for a free upgrade, or any other freebie...

I bought and installed all my own system too. kept the phone line connected too.

far from being a poor customer i was a ideal one.......

rarely called E for much of anything......

my bill must of averaged 100 bucks a month for 13 years, some $15,600.00

in that time i never asked for a free upgrade, or any other freebie...

I bought and installed all my own system too. kept the phone line connected too.

far from being a poor customer i was a ideal one.......

rarely called E for much of anything......

Sure is hard to tell that from the way you act here.

E was a hobby....... one i really enjoyed

watching tv was merely a side benefit..I would of remained a dealer but got very cold intolerant after losing 140 pounds after weight loss surgery... winter installs became impossible.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts