622 and HD local recording

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
I just realized that the 622 only has one local OTA tuner. What if I wanted to record two different HD OTA shows that air at the same time (or watch one and record the other)? I can see two possible options here:
  • There is an internal splitter that allows recording of an OTA while watching another.
  • I'd have to subscribe to HD locals when they become available in my area. However, if I do that, will the same channels be listed twice? NBC from my OTA antenna and NBC from the satellite. Also, if the same channel is listed twice, how does the PVR know which channel to record the "name based" show?
Thanks!

Since Dish Network is selling satellite service, I don't think they consider OTA broadcasts much of a priority. They probably consider the ability to even receive OTA through their STB's a "bonus" feature.

If the new models are anything like the 921 & 942's "yes", the local channels on the satellite are mapped differently than the local OTA channels. Given that, the only way to record more than any one of your local stations on your Dish DVR would be to subscribe to local channels. Heck, if you've got a dual tuner unit, you can record up to three different local channels (2 sat, 1 OTA)!

I don't know of any internal splitter, however I have watched one previously recorded OTA, while a different OTA is being recorded.

Other than that, better dust off your VCR. ;) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just posted a related question here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=58737
I'm thinking in line with you, only 1 HD OTA channel at once... but once we get HD locals, you could conceivably record 2 HD locals at once - one via SAT and once via OTA.
The same channels being listed twice is not a bad thing. It will allow you to prioritize which shows get the best quality. OTA HD is pure, so it will be better quality than SAT local HD. If there were three network TV programs you wanted to watch, you could record all three, if you have HD locals:

Record the show most deserving HD from OTA.
The runner-up from SAT HD local
and the sitcom from the SD local (which will still be there, just not mapped down).

I was actually wishing that we had the option to have our receivers map BOTH the HD and SD channels down - for example:

Chanel 5 is the Dish SD mapped local
Chanel 5-00 is the Dish HD mapped local
Chanel 5-01 is the OTA HD local

All three sharing the same guide information, but individually selectable.

So instead of selecting SD or HD priority, there'd be an option for "both."

Last edited:
Actually, can't you record 3 HD locals at once if you are getting OTA HD and SAT HD?

With the 942, and SAT SD locals, I can record two local's at once using the 2 SAT tuners, and then another local in HD using the OTA tuner. I'd assume that it is the same with the 622, except now you have SAT HD locals instead of SD, so you can record three HD local shows at once.

BUT...if I don't have HD locals available in my area from E*, I can only record/watch one OTA HD at a time? That stinks!

since there is only one OTA tuner, that's it.

I'm lucky, I live in a CBS O&O area, so I get the CBS-E HD Feed over the satellite, so I can record CBS shows from that, and then one other HD local via the ATSC tuner.

LER

I realize this is only a possibility if you have an HDTV (i.e., has a HD tuner built-in), but while I'm waiting for April Fools day, I can DVR an OTA HD Local and watch an OTA HD Local by switching over to my TV OTA tuner vs. the 942's OTA Tuner.

Of course, you sacrifice the DVR functions - and you can't record 2 OTA HD locals when you're not home. However, I can't really see complaining to Dish that they only provide one OTA Tuner - seems like the OTA DVR capability was just a stop-gap measure to get HD locals in the mix while waiting for enuff bandwidth to put them on the Sats.

ChetK said:
BUT...if I don't have HD locals available in my area from E*, I can only record/watch one OTA HD at a time? That stinks!

Once again (not to sound harsh), Dish Network is a satellite company, and as a "satellite" company, it has no motivation for providing access to local over the air broadcasts.

The fact that Dish Network has included the ability to receive and record OTA broadcasts on it's receivers is more for the sake of competition and should be considered a bonus.

Yes it would be nice to have 2 OTA tuners, but why would they want to do something like that, when they can charge subscribers $?

Last edited:
SpenceJT said:
Once again (not to sound harsh), Dish Network is a satellite company, and as a "satellite" company, it has no motivation for providing access to local over the air broadcasts.

The fact that Dish Network has included the ability to receive and record OTA broadcasts on it's receivers is more for the sake of competition and should be considered a bonus.

Yes it would be nice to have 2 OTA tuners, but why would they want to do something like that, when they can charge subscribers $?

Right. If someone wanted to record just OTA, there are OTA only tuners starting to show up with DVR. Hopefully they will come down in price over the next couple of years.

jrfuda said:
... OTA HD is pure, so it will be better quality than SAT local HD. ...

I am looking forward to hearing from folks that actually have their Satellite Locals in HD regarding this subject.

Specifically, I'll be interested to learn if they are able to discern any difference in the quality of the picture viewed on their set between the OTA and Satellite sources.

I understand that future D* boxes will not have ANY tuners for OTA.

My HDTV has a built in ATSC (& NTSC) tuner for watching OTA live. I have an LG LST-4200a ATSC tuner that feeds a DVD recorder/VCR combo. I also have an HTPC that records OTA to disk, and an OTA DVR (simplest approach). And there are only 2 network shows I regularly watch- ER & DH.

Having a single DVR to record all sources is a nice idea. I'm happy there is an OTA tuner that I can record to DVR from. We could always want a second or third one. And a combined sat/cable/OTA DVR. But we'd best be happy with the one OTA tuner. I expect E* will follow D*'s lead and stop providing any OTA tuners. After all, they are a satellite company, not a local broadcaster. And I can understand their charging for OTA guide data. I don't like it, but I can understand their feeling they should be paid for providing something they in turn pay to get. But I still think the PSIP data should be let thru, not blocked.

BTW, the OTA DVR gets TV Guide data for it's EPG. I'm not sure I could get PSIP data if I wanted to. The provided EPG data is not perfect, but it's there. And that really is the best approach for OTA recording/time shifting. But even it has only one ATSC tuner. And the HDTV has only one ATSC tuner. And all my VCRs only had one tuner- no watching one show while recording another.

If you want to record so much OTA, you may be better off with equipment dedicated to the purpose.

navychop said:
If you want to record so much OTA, you may be better off with equipment dedicated to the purpose.
I don't think it's so much "OTA" as it is broadcast networks. The SOBs at the NAB lock you into a single, non-repeating feed, so you're screwed when they stack the good shows against each other.

Except for ABC (KRDO SUCKS!), I've still got 3 time zones (I'm grandfathered in), so I'm fine - for now. I got the 3 TZ back when I only had a single tuner. It's not so important now that I have 3 tuners worth of satellite DVR.

Once I get a 622, then I'll have 2 tuners of MPEG-4, plus can still grab CBS-HD on the 921 until it goes away. I'm STILL going to want at least 2 time zoes of HD networks, but not likely to get it. :( THE NAB HAS TO GO! :mad:

"...I don't think it's so much "OTA" as it is broadcast networks. The SOBs at the NAB lock you into a single, non-repeating feed, so you're screwed when they stack the good shows against each other...."

Yep! I just heard the Sopranos will be up against DH. Since I didn't start w/Sopranos in their first season, I'm not watching the new one. But a lot of folks will do some time shifting. And those of us with HDTVs will need a way to record in HD.

"... THE NAB HAS TO GO! ..."

At least they don't have the power on the hill they once did. I long for the day their monopoly is completely gone, and that of Hollywood. It seems the talent in the studios is mostly in maintaining their monopoly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts