622: Any way to swap TV1/TV2 record on already scheduled programs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

coolbreeze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Easton, PA
I have lots of things scheduled to record...and sometimes while reviewing my "to do" list, I decide that I want to change the TV tuner that is selected for recording. For example, I am in my livingroom (where my HDTV or TV1 is) and I see there is a program on HBO HD that is set to record on TV2 (in bedroom) in 20 minutes... and there is also a SD program that is scheduled on TV1 (my HDTV) at the same time. I want to view the HD program on my HDTV (TV1) instead of the SD program (TV2).

Is there a way to simply swap the recording destination? This would place the HD recording on TV1, that way I could view it while in the livingroom, and would send the SD program to TV2 in the bedroom where nobody is. The only solution I've found is to delete both schedules and start from scratch. Not very efficient.

This is very annoying because when I schedule recordings, I have to "forecast" where I will be at the time of recording (TV1 or TV2) which is next to impossible to do. If I'm wrong then I have to manually go in, cancel the existing requests, and re-do both recordings (or a single one if it was set to record on the other TV).

Any suggestions? It seems like such a simple task, but I don't think the 622 can do it :(

I don't need to swap anything.

I use Single Mode on 622 and can go to my TV guide and select TV1 recording or TV2 recording from either TV in either room while both are being recorded.

Or if I don't want to watch either of the current recordings while they are being recorded, I go to my TV guide and select an HD OTA channel to watch instead.

Last edited:
JH1949 said:
I use Single Mode on 622 and can go to my TV guide and select TV1 recording or TV2 recording from either TV in either room while both are being recorded.
Well that is a solution, but a lousy one IMO (no offense to you of course). I don't use Single mode that much, as my bedroom TV is often being used by my GF watching something else.......which brings me to another question. Is there a way to switch modes (single/dual) without having to get up and open the front panel to press the button on the 622? I can't believe there isn't a remote command for this (yes, I am lazy, but having to make a trip from my bedroom to the livingroom just to press a single button doesn't feel like 2006 to me).

I just wish this whole TV1/TV2 process was more user friendly. Frankly, it's quite complex. Another quick one:

Is there a way to specify what TV you want to record on (every time you schedule)? I know if you press the record button, you get a prompt asking you...but if you schedule in the guide, it goes directly to the TV you are on, no questions asked...what if I don't want that program to record on the TV I am using at the time (thus circling back to my original point about forecasting what TV you will be watching at the time the program airs).

I've read the manual BTW. Not too insightful.

Actually, this should be a lot easier than it is. If you think about it, the 622 has a total of 3 tuners (counting the OTA digital tuner), all capable of receiving a signal for an HD program. TV1 or TV2 is actually a bad way of looking at things. Essentially, you have 3 tuners and 2 TV outputs, one of which can output HD. Since the tuners and the outputs are independent, wouldn't it be cool if Dish created an expert mode that let users manage the tuners and outputs independently? That way, tuner 1 can record the HBO HD show, tuner 2 can record something in SD, the OTA tuner can be idle, and then you can then decide to route tuner 1 to TV output 1, and tuner 2 to output #2. For HD shows, you would probably have to have an additional recording option so you can specify to record in HD or SD to save space. But, this way you'd have a lot more control over things...

One thing I did think about doing was broadcasting TV1 on my cable throughout the house, so if i was watching something that's being recorded on TV1 I can just switch to that channel.

Tuner 1 and tuner 2 are not the same as tv1 and tv2. I think what you need to do when you want to watch what is being recorded, select DVR and watch the recording "from the beginning" then you don't care which tuner is recording which program. as a side line I send all RF outputs around the house on coax so I can watch tv1 on channel 59 or tv2 on channel 50 or my 510 on channel 4 anywhere in my home but that does not solve the problem that started this thread, and there are combinations of record that will stop when you select channels out of the guide to watch but will not stop if you watch the DVR version of that program.

Leon

Although several options have been explored, it looks like you originally had the best answer yourself - delete both timers and then reset the timers; this is assuming you want to watch the HD show only in HD.

However, if watching it in SD is not a problem, then the other suggestions should work, especially feeding TV1 and TV2 on separate channels to each television or let the recordings take place, and then you can watch the recordings as they are being recorded.

Myself, I feed the HD output of TV1 to my main television HD input, then I use a splitter to feed the "stereo agile modulator" output to the main televisioin antenna input as well as the home cable so that all televisions can watch programming from TV1, TV2, or recordings. Each bedroom has a "blue remote 2" for controlling TV2. (I don't have OTA here.)

But reading your comments, it sounds like at times you and I are in a similar situation where what we really need is a second receiver with a single tuner to be able to watch/record 2 shows at once, but another family member (or yourself) could still watch a 3rd satellite show. With me, it hasn't been enough of a problem to have to go out and get another receiver.

I think with a setup like langlin would do.

Last edited:
If your TV2 output is connected via the Agile RF Modulator, just change to the channel for TV1 output.

Correct, provided two actions were taken:
(1) TV1 modulator setup (not off), and
(2) The main television (closest to the receiver) has the home distribution feeding to it.

Of course the main TV could have TV1 and TV2 feeding to it via separate video inputs.

Eh, I just have two 622's that does the trick for me. If somethings recording on TV2 of the living room one, I go grab the other remote and watch the bedroom 622. ;)

I like your thinking Vince. I thought about getting a second 622 myself, but with reported problems from others, I wanted to make sure the one I have will continue to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)