622 are we stuck with this crap?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
So, are we stuck with this crappy DVR? Stuttering? Missing timers?

It's been way to long for us to have to wait for fixes.

Personally, I think E* underestimated the hard drive constraints and that's why the video stutters. 4 streams of video at one time is simply too much for this box.

Heat issues also contribute.

Missing timers is just pititful. What's a DVR that isn't reliable? I know: A SDV. Stuttering Digital Video.

ChetK said:
So, are we stuck with this crappy DVR? Stuttering? Missing timers?

It's been way to long for us to have to wait for fixes.

Personally, I think E* underestimated the hard drive constraints and that's why the video stutters. 4 streams of video at one time is simply too much for this box.

Heat issues also contribute.

Missing timers is just pititful. What's a DVR that isn't reliable? I know: A SDV. Stuttering Digital Video.
Apparently you never had a 921! :D

Seriously, it's Groundhog Day for us 921 users..... And even more so for those of us who owned Dishplayers before THAT....

Whom do we consider irrational people? People who do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I keep holding out hope that the NEXT box will be the one to get it right. This one comes close on the feature set but falls woefully short on the execution. HOW can you have a box that can't even watch TV without dropping frames?

My 2 508's are perfectly fine. That is why I have kept them for so long! Just watch HD over the air but can't do the PVR functions which I miss.

Well, they're not as rock-solid reliable as the 942 but I'm happy with both of my 622s. They aren't without a few annoyances, but the poll suggest that 88% are satisfied with their purchase/lease. Hopefully the bugs will be fixed...soon.

I personally think that the 622 is one of the most stable problem free DVR's that I have ever owned.

Yes it has flaws but MUCH better then the rest. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I personally think that the 622 is one of the most stable problem free DVR's that I have ever owned.

The 622 isn't too bad....The 501 had a lot less features and a larger number of issues out of the gate, the OP would have really hated it. I do hope they get the damn skipping video resolved soon, but experience has taught me to anticipate software updates with equal parts of hope and dread, so I'm not in that much of a hurry. ;)

IMHO: The fact that a reboot temporarily fixes the video stuttering is pretty solid evidence that the cause is software related.

NightRyder

Last edited:
Ohhhh, I see. I guess my expectations were to high. See, I expected the thing to work like a good DVR. I've never owned any E* DVRs before this one. If I had, perhaps my expectations would have been lower. MY BAD! :rolleyes:

Scott Greczkowski said:

You are obviously not having to unplug your 622 everyday like me then! I have had the unit for 2 weeks and between its performance and Dish 1000 signal strength (although I have the tech person coming back out to work on the later), I have been very disappointed with Dish recently. I am trying to keep the faith however, that Dish will fix the 622 video synch/stuttering problems and that the Tech will reposition my Dish 1000 high enough to actually clear the 2nd story house next door!

:D

Lower you're expectations with Dishnetwork receivers, especially if they are brand new. IN the past it has taken up to a year to 18 months to get a rock solid receiver. I speak from almost 9 and a half years of Dish experience.

I have had the crappy dishplayer 7100/7200 model- pure nightmare. I have had the 721 which took full 18 months to get it solid. I have had the 921 which I gladly traded in for the 942. I loved the 942 it has been the best dvr or receiver that Dish ever made in my opinion. I sadly traded it in on the 622 receiver , which is based on the same damn software as the 942 . In fact the only differences between the 942 and the 622, besides cosmetics, was no analog tuner in the 622 and the 622 does mpeg4 channels. THat is why I can't understand why I am still having the software problems like video stutters and audio stuttering /dropouts 4 months after I got the receiver.

But one thing to remember is if you stay with Dish you will be a guinnea pig for all the latest , cutting edge technology. Dish has good ideas for tech advances but they lack in the follow through in the actual production of the receivers.

The biggest problem they seem to have with all their receivers is software related. If I was running Dishnetwork I would quit being tight with the money and unass the $$$$ needed to do the best software that you can get for the receivers. It is penny wise pound foolish to scrimp on the software and then spend all this money on refurbished replacements , shipping and handeling etc , not to mention the bad experience for the customers . Everyone knows that a happy customer experience translates into good word of mouth to other potential customers and so on and so on. OF course the opposite is alwasy true as well. IF you get enough bad customer word of mouth , you can bankrupt a company. Look at Enron.

Dish has a lot going for it and I still think I get the most for my money with their platinum pack for hd , but they need to get the receiver right if they want the high tech , big dollar spenders out there for hd . Directv still gets all the press in most a/v magazines and their pq sucks, in my opinion . Dish would have all positive press it can get in a/v magazines if they would quit being cheap with the software and bring new receivers to the market in rock solid condition from the get go.

GET IT RIGHT DISH!!

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:
Lower you're expectations with Dishnetwork receivers, especially if they are brand new. IN the past it has taken up to a year to 18 months to get a rock solid receiver. I speak from almost 9 and a half years of Dish experience.

I have had the crappy dishplayer 7100/7200 model- pure nightmare. I have had the 721 which took full 18 months to get it solid. I have had the 921 which I gladly traded in for the 942. I loved the 942 it has been the best dvr or receiver that Dish ever made in my opinion. I sadly traded it in on the 622 receiver , which is based on the same damn software as the 942 . In fact the only differences between the 942 and the 622, besides cosmetics, was no analog tuner in the 622 and the 622 does mpeg4 channels. THat is why I can't understand why I am still having the software problems like video stutters and audio stuttering /dropouts 4 months after I got the receiver.

But one thing to remember is if you stay with Dish you will be a guinnea pig for all the latest , cutting edge technology. Dish has good ideas for tech advances but they lack in the follow through in the actual production of the receivers.

The biggest problem they seem to have with all their receivers is software related. If I was running Dishnetwork I would quit being tight with the money and unass the $$$$ needed to do the best software that you can get for the receivers. It is penny wise pound foolish to scrimp on the software and then spend all this money on refurbished replacements , shipping and handeling etc , not to mention the bad experience for the customers . Everyone knows that a happy customer experience translates into good word of mouth to other potential customers and so on and so on. OF course the opposite is alwasy true as well. IF you get enough bad customer word of mouth , you can bankrupt a company. Look at Enron.

Dish has a lot going for it and I still think I get the most for my money with their platinum pack for hd , but they need to get the receiver right if they want the high tech , big dollar spenders out there for hd . Directv still gets all the press in most a/v magazines and their pq sucks, in my opinion . Dish would have all positive press it can get in a/v magazines if they would quit being cheap with the software and bring new receivers to the market in rock solid condition from the get go.

GET IT RIGHT DISH!!

Well said. I've been with Dish for over 7 years and while hope springs eternal things don't seem to change much. Anyone who spends any time reading these forums has to know the nature of the beast, it's certainly not any secret. Let's hope they get things ironed out sooner rather than later on the 622.

NightRyder

oswald said:
You are obviously not having to unplug your 622 everyday like me then! I have had the unit for 2 weeks and between its performance and Dish 1000 signal strength (although I have the tech person coming back out to work on the later), I have been very disappointed with Dish recently. I am trying to keep the faith however, that Dish will fix the 622 video synch/stuttering problems and that the Tech will reposition my Dish 1000 high enough to actually clear the 2nd story house next door!

:D

Good luck with that oswald. I had to use a separate Dish 500 for 129 because of the poor signal. For me some of this is like deja-vu, the 501 didn't recover gracefully from a signal loss in the beginning either. Sigh.......:(

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Good luck with that oswald. I had to use a separate Dish 500 for 129 because of the poor signal. For me some of this is like deja-vu, the 501 didn't recover gracefully from a signal loss in the beginning either. Sigh.......:(

NightRyder

Thanks. After having read other problems w the 129 on this board, I am rethinking my options. I might end up taking your route and devoting a seperate dish to the 129. Or hope it crashes in the Pacific! ;)

NightRyder said:
Anyone who spends any time reading these forums has to know the nature of the beast, it's certainly not any secret.

NightRyder

That's not necessarily true NightRyder. I did a LOT of reading on this forum (and the like) to make sure the 622 was a rock solid product. Everybody was raving on the product. And then L356 (I believe it was 6) came and everyone started getting bugs. Including myself. And now that the bugs are here, it feels as though E* has abandoned us. L357 was for more "robust" audio. L358 got released, but only to new subscribers.

At first, E* was doing fast software releases. Each release made things worse. Now, they're not doing anything. It's almost like they said, "Wow! It looks like everybody is having great results with their 622's. We had better do something quick to change that if we want to remain the leaders in crappy software."

ChetK said:
That's not necessarily true NightRyder. I did a LOT of reading on this forum (and the like) to make sure the 622 was a rock solid product. Everybody was raving on the product. And then L356 (I believe it was 6) came and everyone started getting bugs. Including myself. And now that the bugs are here, it feels as though E* has abandoned us. L357 was for more "robust" audio. L358 got released, but only to new subscribers.

At first, E* was doing fast software releases. Each release made things worse. Now, they're not doing anything. It's almost like they said, "Wow! It looks like everybody is having great results with their 622's. We had better do something quick to change that if we want to remain the leaders in crappy software."

Actually my statement was more in relation to the combined history of E* receivers than specifically the 622. I'm not making excuses for E*, there are none, but I can say in my own case I knew exactly what I was getting in to.

I don't believe E* hasn't abandoned us (not yet anyway), and I would like to hope that the extra time is being used by them to ensure solid fixes and test the next major update, but experience has taught me (811 owner) not to get my hopes up.

NightRyder

Well, I hear the 811 is pretty solid today. Anyway, I'm very happy with my ViP622. I only wish it had a larger HD. Those Smart Travels shows really pile up fast. So I guess I'll be an early adopter when they offer the off board storage option.

Time for another poll ??

I think it was in March when Tom Bombadill did the first 622 poll. I don't know how many responded but IIRC, the results were 88% favorable or very favorable, based on how the questions were worded. Maybe it's time for another poll ?? The questions could be reworded to better fit the current thread topics. I don't know how to set one up - anyone else interested?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)