622 Arrived today. Install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drsiebling

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Hello everybody!

My 622 arrived today, but my install is scheduled for almost 2 weeks from now. I'm perfectly capable of installing this myself, but the tech support people over at Dish keep telling me that if I do so, I'll void some kind of 90 day warranty. What does this warranty cover? If I do the install, will I have problems getting the CSR to activate the box? I already have the proper dish setup (2 dishes, one at 61.5) so waiting another two weeks for someone to plug in the 622 seems idiotic to me. Is there any possible reason I should consider waiting for a Dish 1000 to be installed?

Any advice?

Thanks!

-B

No advice, but I'm in almost the EXACT same situation (my 622arrived yesterday, install scheduled for Apr 24). Already have all the dishes/switches/wiring & I'm certainly capable of swapping my 942 for the 622 (in fact - for the install, I'll do this anyway - don't want someone else messing with my wiring....).

From what I've read here, appears difficult to impossible to get Dish to activate it early.

Couple of thoughts.
If you didnt have a dual tuner at that location before, it might need some additional equipment to be installed. i.e. An additional cable or a DPP switch or LNB. I also waited as i used the opportunity to have my dish repeaked.

I'm upgrading to a 622 from a 942, so all the appropriate dual tuner equipment is in place. Hrm... decisions!

Call Tech support. I received my 622 yesterday. Scheduled install was 4/23.
FIrst call. No way. Need to wait for the installation. On the 2nd call, had no problems activating. I needed no additional equipment. Installer was basically coming out to make a phone call and activate. The 90 day warranty I believe covers the additional equipment install. I'm pretty sure the 622 is still covered by a 1yr warranty. I still also have the $1.99 extended warranty, so I wasn't worried about losing the 90 day warranty. I did have a minor issue. All HD channels were red in the guide. Called a 3rd time. After about 1/2 hr on the phone, they noticed the work order was still open and stated I needed a 61.5 install. I politely told him that can't be. I'm looking at my 61.5 dish on my roof as we speak. He updated my "profile", noting I have a 61.5, closed the work order and amazingly the HD channels are on. If you know you have all the required equipment , keep calling until you get someone to activate.

One more thing I should note. I just had the DPP switches and lnbf's installed in early December when they came out to install my leased 942. Everthing was tested and re-peaked at that time. If you want to have them look over your setup, then as gbjbany stated, keep your appointment and have the installer check everything out.

Last edited:
Received 622 Friday. Install set for Wednesday. Presently have Superdish and Dish 500 at 61.5.

Hooked up Sunday, call to activate.

Everything went ok, took awhile for CSR to figure out how, cancelled install.

Just before we finished up, CSR tells me that I lose 90 day warranty doing a self install.

Tell her forget it, and I'll have the install done. She has to redo complete 622 upgrade, even sending me new 622 which she tells me to refuse shipment.

Then tells me they will install Dish1000, because I will need it when Baltimore locals go HD.

New install Wednesday again, present 622 still active.

Won't I still need 105 to get Baltimore locals until they do the transfer off?

Also, now I don't have the HDTV cahnnels (all red) and they say it is part of the work order and to turn them on I would have to cancel the work order, so, no HDTV for another day!

drsiebling said:
I'm upgrading to a 622 from a 942, so all the appropriate dual tuner equipment is in place. Hrm... decisions!
Same stupid problem.

622 came last week, return box for the 942 came yesterday. Install scheduled for 4/23. d1000 already up and running for my 211 and 942. All I have to do swap is out the 942 with the 622. But can't touch it myself?!?!

Paying for channels I can only watch in half my house. This is very frustraiting.

The best part is the CSR was very insistant I understand that I better have at least 3 feet of room behind my equipment for the tech to work. And it will cost an extra $50 to connect any other components. What a joke.

At least it's a good deal for installers. Walk in. Plug in. Make a call. Leave. Cha-ching.

Well. today is my sceduled installation and Dish sent the 622 so late it didn't arrive in time. The installer said that I could install it and just to contact Tech Support and ask for the IVR which is evidentally an automated system which will ask questions like the smart card number and activate the system. Any idea what the 90 day warantee was supposed to cover? Is it maybe supposed to cover the installation of the receiver, so if something was hooked up incorrectly it covers a technician coming back out to hook it up correctly? It would make sense if they didn't cover you hooking something up wrong for 90 days. As long as the receiver warantee is still in place, that's all that matters. If I don't plug a cable in good and it falls out, I can fix that myself.

seandudley said:
...Any idea what the 90 day warantee was supposed to cover? Is it maybe supposed to cover the installation of the receiver, so if something was hooked up incorrectly it covers a technician coming back out to hook it up correctly?...
That's certainly part of it, and any added equipment in that upgrade. In my last upgrade there was some question about LOS on my 61.5 wing. It worked OK at the time (still does) but I might have some issues when the leaves come out. The installer remarked that I have "90 days to find out", implying that if there were signal issues in that initial period they'd correct it for no additional cost...

Enjoy your new toy! Still debating my next move...

Last edited:
seandudley said:
Well. today is my sceduled installation and Dish sent the 622 so late it didn't arrive in time. The installer said that I could install it and just to contact Tech Support and ask for the IVR which is evidentally an automated system which will ask questions like the smart card number and activate the system. Any idea what the 90 day warantee was supposed to cover? Is it maybe supposed to cover the installation of the receiver, so if something was hooked up incorrectly it covers a technician coming back out to hook it up correctly? It would make sense if they didn't cover you hooking something up wrong for 90 days. As long as the receiver warantee is still in place, that's all that matters. If I don't plug a cable in good and it falls out, I can fix that myself.
I talked to the tech last night about this, while debugging my problem. According to him, the 90 day warranty covers any extra work the Tech has to do. In my case, and it looks the same for you, all the tech was going to do was show up and make a phone call. The 622 is still covered by a warranty.

90 day warranty covers the labour installation, not the equipment.

Honestly it is in your best interest to sit on your hands and wait for the tech to come out and do the installation to avoid the warranty issue, it is entirely possible to also void the the equipment warranty on self installs as well.

Van said:
it is entirely possible to also void the the equipment warranty on self installs as well.

Now that is iteresting as my 942 needed to be replaced last year and they sent me a new one and told me to hook it up and call to be initialized. Why would I not void my warrenty at that time? The whole thing is nuts and very inconsistant on the part of DISH. If they see from their profile that you have all the right equipment including DISH's and the correct switch...you should be allowed to hook up and call .

Just to give you guys a followup. I decided to go ahead and hook up the 622 myself. As soon as everything was connected, I called the Dish $299 promo toll-free number and had everything up and running within 10 minutes. No problems at all. EASY.

Frankly, I don't feel that a 90 day install warranty is worth waiting another two weeks. It's pointless. I'd just assume get the 942 back to Dish ASAP so that I can get my $200 credit now as opposed to weeks down the road.

drsiebling said:
Frankly, I don't feel that a 90 day install warranty is worth waiting another two weeks. It's pointless. I'd just assume get the 942 back to Dish ASAP so that I can get my $200 credit now as opposed to weeks down the road.

Good point.

drsiebling said:
Just to give you guys a followup. I decided to go ahead and hook up the 622 myself. As soon as everything was connected, I called the Dish $299 promo toll-free number and had everything up and running within 10 minutes. No problems at all. EASY.

Are we supposed to send back just the 942? Or do we also need to include the remotes?

Are we supposed to send back just the 942? Or do we also need to include the remotes?

As far as I can tell, just the receiver. My 622 came with 2 additional remotes and a whole host of cables. No Component cables this time, though...

I have way too many remotes. Thank god for my universal.

I received my 622 yesterday and installed it myself today. I called the special # to activate it. The CSR wouldn't activate it at first and told me that I needed a professional tech to install it. I told her that I hooked everything up and that a tech visit was a waste of time. Finally, she agreed and she activated the 622.

The CSR told me the 90 day warranty would be voided by installing it myself and I told her it was okay. She told me that my software version for the 622 was old and I needed the L356 software. I did a restart and downloaded new guide data and got the new software.

I received an empty box today to return the 942. The CSR told me to return the remotes and manuals.

My 622 is working perfectly and I now subscribe to the HD Bronze package.

Mike4HDTV said:
I received an empty box today to return the 942. The CSR told me to return the remotes and manuals.

Nowhere in the instruction sheet that came with the box for returning equipment did it mention manuals. Receiver, remote and LNB is all it asks for.

This is consistent with what I had to do a few years ago when I left Dish for Voom...receiver, remote and LNB.

This time I placed a note inside letting them know the LNB's were still in use with the upgrade.

Hopefully the CSR misspoke and they're not planning on charging us for missing manuals!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts