622 broadband connection

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Every time I turn on my bedroom TV (TV2 off the 622), it gives me the message about avoiding the 2nd receiver fee and connecting either a phone line or network connection. This never pops up on TV1 though...

The DVR is connected to my router and according to the router, it has an IP address assigned, 192.168.1.128. On the broadband setup menu/screen on the 622 though, it's all ZEROS. Running the "Reset Connection" doesn't fix it either.

What are some suggestions ?

If it is all zeros on the box then it is not connected to the router. Do you have it hard wired to the router or are you trying to connect wirelessly?

If it is all zeros on the box then it is not connected to the router. Do you have it hard wired to the router or are you trying to connect wirelessly?
It's hard-wired and it does have an IP assigned on the DHCP side as I said
The DVR is connected to my router and according to the router, it has an IP address assigned, 192.168.1.128.
I can query the MAC address tied to that IP and it's assigned to Echostar and I've only got (1) Echostar box in my house.

The router was rebooted twice last night trying to correct this. The DVR gets rebooted every night and this has been happening for a week or so since I tried to fix it.

Just a thought. The DHCP server is reporting the IP is is leased out to the 622, however, if the connection were lost, the DHCP server will continue to report the lease until it the lease expires. Many systems default to 7 or more day leases.

Can you ping the 622's IP from a PC on the same network?

BTW, my 622's give me that message almost every day, and everytime I check the IP settings on the 622 are just fine.

It's the common Linksys WRT54G, though I'm running DD-WRT v23RC? (the last RC release for v23) and I believe the lease time is 24 hours.

I will try pinging it. Thing is, does it respond to ICMP requests or ignore them ?

Yes the receivers reply to pings. If you're getting zeroes when you reset the info I don't think the receiver is getting an IP address. The router might show an IP address assigned but like jpmarto said, it might just be the router reporting the lease.

Do you see any green activity LED indications on the RJ-45 jack on the 622?

I know it sounds trite, but I would try to plug in a notebook or PC to the wire you have going to the 622 and confirm network connectivity and DHCP right at that point. My guess is you don't have connectivity due to a cabling issue.

The ethernet jack on the 622 has one solid light and one that flickers. I'm color-deficient so I can't tell you the colors.... :D

I couldn't get the router to release the IP so I just un-plugged the 622's connection and even had to reboot the router ! That worked. Now I'll re-connect it and see what happens.

I'm posting this message using the ethernet cable that's run to the 622....

After rebooting the router, the 622 was assigned .128 again but on the receiver's menu, it showed all ZEROS again. So it's asking for an IP and the router is assigning it one. Oooh, forgot to try and ping it. Let me try that in a minute.

It's the common Linksys WRT54G, though I'm running DD-WRT v23RC? (the last RC release for v23) and I believe the lease time is 24 hours.
I'm running DD-WRT v24 and I've been awarded one of those warnings recently. I didn't have this problem with the Linksys software and I've been running L449 for quite some time.

As jpmarto suggests, checking status on the router is not good enough. The ViP622 configuration is the only sure way to check that the connection is up. When I reset my router, the ViP622 usually doesn't update on its own. I'm suspicious that the receiver doesn't observe DHCP lease intervals very well. The DD-WRT default is one day and I don't remember what the Linksys is.

Fortunately for me, I've got a Slingbox Solo hooked to my ViP622, so I can tinker with it remotely.

"Destination host unreachable" when I try to ping it.

On DD-WRT's config pages, it shows up under the "Active Clients" listing but not under the "DHCP Clients" list. Odd.... Will try to "Reset Connection" one more time, then it's a power-plug reboot. :) If those fail, I'll be on the phone with Dish as I suspect I've been getting charged the $5/mo fee for this and will try to get it waived (defective receiver, IMO).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)