622 Component 720p only?

jcvaughan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Pacifica CA
My HDMI output stopped working and Dish is sending me a replacement. In the meantime I am using the component outputs. When the signal gets to my monitor it recoginizes it as 720p even though I have the HDTV setting on 1080i. Is that the highest resolution I can get via the components?

I use component and get 1080i. Check your TV to ensure that when using component cable, it is set to show it as 1080i.

Check your receiver to ensure that it is set to 1080i.

Hope this helps.....

Yes, component will send 1080i if properly set. Check input setting on your TV as well.

Output settings

Sounds like you need to change the output setting of the 622 to 1080i. It sounds like it is set to 720p output. That would be under the menus and HDTV type. Can't remember the exact key strokes since I'm at work.

I use component on one of my 622s and it sends out 1080i. Sounds like something is wrong.

I recall there being something quirky with this setting a while ago. Try to change the setting, exit the menu and then change channels and see if it takes effect.

My HDMI output stopped working and Dish is sending me a replacement. In the meantime I am using the component outputs. When the signal gets to my monitor it recoginizes it as 720p even though I have the HDTV setting on 1080i. Is that the highest resolution I can get via the components?
I have a newer LCD montior (not a TV) and the highest setting it accepts is 720p.

What is your hardware setup? I'm guessing you aren't talking about a monitor, as in a computer monitor if you can give it component inputs.

Component can do 1080i on the ViP receivers. Monitors handle the component and the HDMI signals differently, so that may just be a limitation on your 'monitor'.

Thanks for the replies. I've checked all the settings. I have it going to an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver that upconverts everything to an HDMI output to the TV. The specs say it takes up to 1080i on component. Maybe something happens with the transition to the HDMI output. It's only a week or so, I can manage. Just hope the HDMI on the "new" box doesn't die down the road.

I'm running the next model up on my Onkyo receiver and using the component input to output 1080i just fine to my LCD TV. But outputting it to my computer monitor via HDMI only works up to 720p, hence my questions. Hope that helps.

PC monitor

I'm running the next model up on my Onkyo receiver and using the component input to output 1080i just fine to my LCD TV. But outputting it to my computer monitor via HDMI only works up to 720p, hence my questions. Hope that helps.

Sounds like the PC monitor is the problem that is the causing not being able to output 1080.

Are the stations showing 720p ABC, Fox, and ESPN? Is your TV saying 720p in the display of NBC, CBS and the movie channels, also?:D

Thanks for the replies. I've checked all the settings. I have it going to an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver that upconverts everything to an HDMI output to the TV. The specs say it takes up to 1080i on component. Maybe something happens with the transition to the HDMI output. It's only a week or so, I can manage. Just hope the HDMI on the "new" box doesn't die down the road.

No, the Onkyo TX-SR605 is the problem.

From CNET several years ago... Onkyo TX-SR605 (black) AV receiver reviews - CNET Reviews

The bad:
Downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI; HDMI video quality converted from analog sources may not satisfy videophiles; Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding cannot be used with current crop of high-definition video players.

(This is old, but the part about the downconversion of component remains true.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts