622 Didn't record "Heroes" or "24" finale: Argggh!!!

Warren

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
What is with this piece of @#$% ! I suppose a new software "update" has turned this thing into a devious monster! They were both scheduled to record, one on OTA, the other on satellite, and since I can't stay up that late I don't even know it until I get home tonight full of anticipation to watch both of these shows!
I have to say, with the problems this thing has had lately (lip-sync, OTA disappearing, pixelization on recordings) I think the 942 was a far better piece of equipment.

Now I suppose I have to watch both of these shows on my computer. Perhaps I should just get rid of Dish and watch everything on the internet!

Did you have those scheduled to record as part of a timer setting for New Programs or Weekly or just one time timers?

Do you happen to live in the Wash DC area? You are not the only one I have heard with this problem from last night.

Check out your history and see what it says happened to those events (hit menu 3 times and page up).

My 622 also missed recording Heroes OTA. (Actually, thats not quite true, it did record about 3 seconds of it.)

I had 3 timers set up to record both Heroes and 24. In priority order, the first timer would record Heroes OTA. The second timer would record 24 off sat. The third would record 24 OTA. Essentially, the third timer should never fire. The only reason it was there was to record 24 in HD whenever Heroes wasn't on, but I was running low on space so I switched their priorities.

The funny thing is I got the full 2 hour 24 recorded in HD from the OTA tuner. This timer was third on the priority list. I should have gotten 24 in SD off the sat and Heroes OTA in HD. What I ended up with is exactly what I would have expected if the priority of timers 2 & 3 were reversed.

"Now I suppose I have to watch both of these shows on my computer."

Heroes will probably be rebroadcast on the SciFi Channel on Friday night.
Not HD, but probably better that watching on your computer.

You defeated yourself with the timers.

There is a way to set the preference for HD over SD - I'll see if I can find where you set that preference. OTA should not have mattered for that so it was probably that it was already recording the same episode.

Heroes and 24 come on the same time but since 24 was 2 hours long, Heroes could not start because the OTA was already occupied, although it did manage to try! Since 24 OTA was already recording, the SD 24 timer did not fire. If you had a timer for Heroes SD, you would have had that record.

What is with this piece of @#$% ! I suppose a new software "update" has turned this thing into a devious monster! They were both scheduled to record, one on OTA, the other on satellite, and since I can't stay up that late I don't even know it until I get home tonight full of anticipation to watch both of these shows!

Warren,

Do you live in the SF Bay Area? Because my 622 didn't record the "24" finale, either. I checked the history per lakebum's instructions and it said that the finale didn't record due to signal loss.

We weren't watching any TV that night so I can't say for certain what happened.

I can tell you that we're going to have to throw $3.98 towards ITunes, and figure out how to hook up a PC to the TV because I'm not watching TV at my desk.

I can tell you that we're going to have to throw $3.98 towards ITunes, and figure out how to hook up a PC to the TV because I'm not watching TV at my desk.
Let us know how you make out. I tried the ITunes route a while ago but could never figure a way to get it to the TV short of buying an actual IPod and TV adapter unit, which I hear don't provide a great picture on the big screen. I think Fox also puts the episodes up on their site but there doesn't seem to be anyway to get it to the TV with them either. You're best bet is to look to see if there's an encore broadcast coming up.

You defeated yourself with the timers.

Actually, no. That is what I was trying to explain. The HD-OTA timer for 24 was number 3 on the priority list. The SD-Sat time for 24 was number 2. The SD-Sat timer should have, and in fact has for the past 6 weeks, stopped the HD-OTA 24 timer from firing. For some reason, Monday night my 622 decided to execute timers in reverse-priority order.

Actually, no. That is what I was trying to explain. The HD-OTA timer for 24 was number 3 on the priority list. The SD-Sat time for 24 was number 2. The SD-Sat timer should have, and in fact has for the past 6 weeks, stopped the HD-OTA 24 timer from firing. For some reason, Monday night my 622 decided to execute timers in reverse-priority order.

Priority doesn't matter when you have overlapping and conflicting timers and the 622 is set to prefer HD over SD.

Priority doesn't matter when you have overlapping and conflicting timers and the 622 is set to prefer HD over SD.

Sure it does. These were new episode timers, not DishPass timers. The HD-OTA timer should have been skipped because it was a duplicate event because of the SD-Sat timer.

Thought I'd better reply since I started all this; I did check my schedule, and it said "digital service-event skipped" for 24. The wife said she checked it when it started and it said it was recording 24, not "digital service". Then she said she noticed when she went to check on it later, it no longer said it was recording, and instead of having the program information, it said "digital service", like it does when you don't subscribe to locals, which I do.
So the best I can figure is that the 622 had an "event" of some sort during the recording, which doesn't surprise me, because it's done it before. She manually recorded the last half hour of it. So we watched the first 1.5 hours on the computer and finished it on the 56" in the front room.
Heroes, not sure what happened, still haven't seen it.
Just had to vent on the status of this receiver. Hey, when it works it's great!
I don't think I could live without a DVR anymore. But when it messes up...........

Sounds like the epg data dropped, probably from a signal loss - I had that happen and all my Dish Channels said No Information Available and my OTAs said digital service and I suddenly had about 80 events scheduled to record. When my epg data finally got corrected, all the events that were scheduled to record disappeared, kind of like what people have said here, and my original schedule came back.

This dvr is a powerful, weird, fretful, wonderful machine.

You know what probably was the problem they didnt record? "The Wife". My
"Wife Bug" has messed up and stopped stuff. Then they say they didnt do it.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)