622 Died Last Night

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ercav

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Has anyone ever had this happen and does anyone know why this would happen:
Last night around 10:00pm I was watching TV and in the middle of a show my 622 shut down and rebooted. It came back on for about 30 seconds and the same thing happened. This happened about 6 times. I finally called a CSR and they told me to plug it directly into the wall and not the surge protector. I did this but it kept rebooting over and over again. I called back and they said they would reboot it at 3:00am and check it in the morning and it should be fixed. Well at 6:30am this morning it was still rebooting over and over. I called this morning and they are sending me a new 622, but I won't be able to watch tv until Tuesday. Does anyone know what is happening to my 622 and if I can fix it at all. Thanks in advance.

First guess is that it maybe overheated causing HD failure. It's hard to tell. Is it in a well ventilated area?

Ok, so much for that theory. Have you tried unplugging it for at least a half hour and trying again?

No, not for half an hour, but I did it last night for about 5 minutes

Do not discard the overheating issue so fast. The 449 software update appears to not control the internal fan properly. Throw air at the left side. Get a new unit if you can and throw air at it so it does not overheat. That's how it worked with mine and 4 622 units later.

My first new 622 lasted for alittle over a year then started spontaneously rebooting. I did not realize it at the time but when it started rebooting was alittle after the 449 software update.

I have had 4 reman units and two technicians out since and all do the same thing and none of the techs can find anything wrong at my house. Some units are worse than others in reboot frequency.

I was able to stop the rebooting by throwing lots of air at the left side near the back. This is where the power supply is, actually the power supply board is a full depth board with multiple heat sinks from about midway back to the back. This is where the air needs to flow. If I stop this air flow about 2 to 3 hours later the reboots start and continue periodically about every couple of hours until I restart the air flow.

With some units acting like this worse than others it apears that the overheating actually causes some component damage. I have also read where the air flow only decreases the frequency of the reboots, i.e. not as often.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts