622 Dish Locals vs. OTA

Emma Peel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Hi,

Getting my 622 in a couple weeks and I am reading here on the forums that it has an ota hd tuner in it. I dont have an ota antenna and I am just wondering if I should look into getting this. I was already planning on getting the dish provided locals. What is the difference between the two (other then me paying a monthly fee). I am really interested in getting the major networks and PBS (nothing like those nature shows in HD).

I live in Los Angeles btw.

Thanks.

Emma,

I have the 921 and it NEEDS the OTA for HD locals. From what I have read about the 622 it will receive the HD locals via the satellite. There will be another satellite feed that is needed and I believe that installation will include either adding a second dish or replacing your current one with the new 1000. I wouldn't purchase any OTA antenna just yet as even if you did not want to pay Dish for the local HD channels you would still pay I believe a $6.99 fee monthly to be able to use the OTA for HD locals. Hope this helps,

Greg

Emma Peel said:
Hi,

Getting my 622 in a couple weeks and I am reading here on the forums that it has an ota hd tuner in it. I dont have an ota antenna and I am just wondering if I should look into getting this. I was already planning on getting the dish provided locals. What is the difference between the two (other then me paying a monthly fee). I am really interested in getting the major networks and PBS (nothing like those nature shows in HD).

I live in Los Angeles btw.

Thanks.
Dish is only providing ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX in HD from the satellite, so if you want PBS in HD, or KTLA-HD, or anything beyond the majors, you'll need the OTA antenna. On the bright side, you might not need a very big antenna. I have friends in LA that only use an indoor UHF antenna, and get great reception.

Depending on your location (and some other factors), you might be able to pick up your local station's digital channels, which will include HD programming at different times, with a simple, $10 antenna (or even an antenna you already own) ! For that price, it doesn't hurt to try.

garys said:
The $6.99 is if you want a 622 and not order any HD package. If she order an HD pack w/o locals and uses an OTA antenia to receiver her locals, there is no extra charge.

No EPG info for OTA locals for the 622 in this scenario.