622 DVR question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bryanw20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
I'm used to Tivo, getting used to the 622. On Tivo I can pause live TV, then start watching a recorded show, then go back to live TV and pick up where it was paused, provided it was less than 30min of course. I can't seem to do that with the 622. When I come back to live TV, the buffer is empty. (I'm in dual mode if it makes a difference). Asside from recording the show I want to pause, is this possible to do?

Thanks

In single mode you could press 'pause swap', then view a recording,
then press 'swap' again to get back to paused video.

I'm used to Tivo, getting used to the 622. On Tivo I can pause live TV, then start watching a recorded show, then go back to live TV and pick up where it was paused, provided it was less than 30min of course. I can't seem to do that with the 622. When I come back to live TV, the buffer is empty. (I'm in dual mode if it makes a difference). Asside from recording the show I want to pause, is this possible to do?

Thanks

Bryan,

In the current software you can not pause on one tuner, swap watch, then swap back and come back to where you were paused. For some reason when you swap and swap back you get dumped back to live (although the buffer is maintained If watching live or you are recording one one or both feeds). In early December a new software revision is coming out that will maintain the Pause on the second tuner when you swap and swap back.

I'm not sure if this revision will still dump the pause buffer on a Non Recording LIVE feed tuner if switching out of a recording you were watching on another tuner, currently you dump to live.

In the new revision is also a PIP update. (PIP only works in Single Mode). The new PIP adds a function, currently the PIP feature only has Swap and two Window Sizes, Small and Medium. The new mode is Side by Side, for instance if you have a 50 inch Display you will be able to view TWO screens side by side the size of TWO 25 inch TV's. The new mode will be available by using the PIP button (One Press Small window, Second Press Medium Window, Third Press Side by Side, Four Press back to single display).

John

I've gotten in the habit of pressing RECORD for a live show I'm interested in before viewing a DVR recording. That way, the receiver retains the "buffer".

Actions like switching channels warn you about flushing the buffer, but how about an option to save the buffer to a DVR event?

Placing a limit on the live buffer also seems silly. Until the hard drive fills up, why not simply cache everything you are watching. You could even back up to before a channel change!!

I've gotten in the habit of pressing RECORD for a live show I'm interested in before viewing a DVR recording. That way, the receiver retains the "buffer".

Actions like switching channels warn you about flushing the buffer, but how about an option to save the buffer to a DVR event?

Placing a limit on the live buffer also seems silly. Until the hard drive fills up, why not simply cache everything you are watching. You could even back up to before a channel change!!

Apparently it also does not record the buffer like Tivo either? I've done what you said and press record for something live, but then I continued to watch it, so no need to watch from the dvr, but today I noticed anything I recorded mid show, only picks up from that point. :(

It's nice to gain a HD recorder, but i still love my Tivo's!

Apparently it also does not record the buffer like Tivo either? I've done what you said and press record for something live, but then I continued to watch it, so no need to watch from the dvr, but today I noticed anything I recorded mid show, only picks up from that point. :(

It's nice to gain a HD recorder, but i still love my Tivo's!

Recording the buffer starts from where ever you are. If you want the entire buffer rewind to the beginning THEN press record. Extra steps but it works.

Recording the buffer starts from where ever you are. If you want the entire buffer rewind to the beginning THEN press record. Extra steps but it works.

So once I press record, then can I skip back to live and continue watching or do I have
to rewatch from the beginning? I didn't think you could capture the beginning of a program
unless you were recording when it started. I'll have to try this with my reciever.

Mark

Yes. You can record from the beginning of a program even if you didn't start recording when it began, as long as the program is still in the buffer and you rewind to the beginning before you press Record.

Note there there is a little bit of non-symetric behavior with starting and stopping of buffer recording: When you start a recording, the recording starts at the "watch-point", (i.e. wherever you are watching it, allowing you to rewind and record as explained.) But if you press the Stop button to stop recording before an event is over, the recording stops at the current "live-point", regardless of the point where you are watching it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)