622 DVR - Recordings Starting Over During a Show

Experienced the 'Recording starts over' bug?

• Yes. I've seen it on my RSN.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Yes. I've seen it on A&E.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yes. I've seen it on another channel.

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • No. I've had the blocky FF / REV, but not the messed up recordings.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • No. Haven't had a problem.

Votes: 48 55.8%

• Total voters
On my 942, I've only had this happen on HD OTA signals that get dropped. I can FF through the bad section to resume. Never has it happened on SD channels.

Now my 942 is dead so I'll be getting two 622s and a Dish 1000 to replace. :)

On my 942, I've only had this happen on HD OTA signals that get dropped. I can FF through the bad section to resume. Never has it happened on SD channels.

So when your 942 would lose the OTA signal while recording, the recording actually started over??? Or are you just referring to losing signal and blocky signal during FF / REW?

Good Luck with your 622, I had much better results with my 942, but as I wanted the new HD I made the switch and am now regretting it a little bit.

So when your 942 would lose the OTA signal while recording, the recording actually started over??? Or are you just referring to losing signal and blocky signal during FF / REW?

Good Luck with your 622, I had much better results with my 942, but as I wanted the new HD I made the switch and am now regretting it a little bit.

My 942 somehow came back to life after removing all the wires from the back. It still smell bad like melted components, but it seems to be back. It will give me the opportunity to watch the recorded events. I'm scheduled for a tomorrow afternoon install for two 622s, the Dish 1000 and a dpp44.

On my OTA issue, it will record the entire show as one event, but if it reaches a bad spot, it will momentarily stop playback and go back to the dvr screen. Then I get to restart the show and FF to past this bad spot to continue playback. The skip 30 doesn't get around it. You have to use the FF x60 or x300. Sometimes it takes a few tries.

aah yes that's a different problem, i get that too on my 622.
This specifically is after some period (1 hour in my case) , you suddenly find yourself back at the begining of the program and you have lost the rest of the program.

Has anyone else called Dish about this problem? I called them the other night after the messed up recording of the hockey game. The Tech Support guy I spoke with said it was the first he'd heard of the problem and it is not listed as a known problem. I hope they can fit this in the next software update.

The two A&E programs I record are 'The First 48' and 'Cold Case Files', and I see the problem on both shows.. I would say the problem has been getting worse lately - but it is maybe 20-30 % of my taped A&E shows recently which experience this problem. The problem has definitely been worse for me with FSN Bay Area.

I have recorded A&E's Cold Case Files now since your posting and have not seen this problem.

Sorry I double posted about this problem as well. Guess its not just me. It is happening to me on A and E while watching Dog the Bounty Hunter. I dont notice blocking or pixelation. Just half way into show it starts over. Says right minutes. I do use speed burst thru commercials. I will try watching a couple without it.

Question, Does Dish seem to agree this is a known problem>? Will they offer replacement if I have replacement plan?

Just half way into show it starts over. Says right minutes. I do use speed burst thru commercials. I will try watching a couple without it.

Question, Does Dish seem to agree this is a known problem>? Will they offer replacement if I have replacement plan?

The CSR's I talked to said they never heard of the problem. I don't have a replacement plan, but the sent me a replacement receiver. Same problem still occurs intermittently.

I've had this too, on several channels but usually when recording the news on BBC America. The program will get part way through & then restart. When you try and scan through the program the screen pixellates and hops around a lot as you scan. When you stop scanning the program the place it starts playing may not be the place you scanned to.

This feels very much like a corrupt video file. Something sometimes causes the file being recorded to be bad. usually (with some patience) you can scan ast the point of corruption and carry on watching.

It is very annoying indeed.

This happened just tonight while watching the recording of Dealing with Dickinson on BBCAmerica. We've had the problem only on BBCAmerica, but it's happened on the same show and time..first, Monday at 9:00 Central time. This same thing happened last week, too, for this show. I haven't called Dish Network, because it probably is something they can't fix. I'll keep up to date with this site, though, to see if anyone has a solution or even a reason.

Major issues with 522 and 622

I've had this happen a couple times when recording games on Center Ice. It would start with heavy pixelation then restart from the beginning. The odd thing is that it also happened to me once when I had a 522. The only difference is that when it happened on the 522 if I skipped past the pixelation I was able to watch the rest of the game. the two times it has occurred on the 622 there was no way to see the end of the game.

You are not the only one with this issue on a 522. Along with the popping noises and sound cutting out issues (which you can all see in the other threads), My 522 does this as well. It doesn't seem to matter what channel it is on either. Unlike the 622, I can fast forward and watch the rest of my show but it is hugely annoying. I would be interested to know how many of you with 622's have contacted dish and pushed it to the point of requesting an upgrade on your reciever. I know that dish IS aware of these problems and appears to be doing nothing to resolve them. I have heard of many cases where folks are being encouraged to upgrade (of course they have to pay the $100 and sign a new 2 year contract:). That is what they tried on me and I an curious how many others have had the same experience.

I don't normally take on pointless crusades like this, but, after spending hours on the phone with dish, being promised credits that never came and upgrades that never happened, they broke the proverbial straw. I have already given them the finger and switched to DTV (effective as of 1/19), but it ticks me off beyond reason that they might be intentionally not fixing bugs on older recievers to coax people into upgrading and signing back up. I reported the popping noises on my 522 back in november and it took 3 replacement recievers (one of which was supposed to be a free upgrade but wasn't) before they admitted that it is a problem. Here we are 2 months later and it is still unresolved. I work in the software engineering world so I get it, but I also get that you can always roll back. Also, if it is taking over 2 months to find and fix bugs, it is probably time to find some new employees:).

I would be interested to know how many of you with 622's have contacted dish and pushed it to the point of requesting an upgrade on your reciever.

I called them, they told me they hadn't heard of the problem. They sent me a new receiver for free. Problem continued, I called them back 3 weeks after receiving the new 622. They said they hadn't heard of the problem. I told them I was on my second receiver due to this very problem.

I then received a PM from a member who called Dish, and they denied to him knowing of this problem. Go Dish! Nice customer service.

I also had this problem last Sunday recording a rebroadcast of the National Championship game on Sunshine Network. It recorded fine the first half and halftime but as the 3rd quarter started, the signal pixelates and it somehow recorded the first half again. Boy was I pissed!!!! I have a 622 and have not ever had this problem before. Obviously it is a software issue as those getting new recorders are also still having the problem. Has anyone contacted tech support or just customer service, anyone emailed the CEO? Since it only happened once to me, I thought it was a fluke.....come on dish, get it together!!

Last night happened to me AGAIN on a FSN Pittsburgh on a WVU basketball recording. Game restarted twice - was not able to fast forward - got the pixels and blocks when I would try. Is it pointless to ask for a new receiver or is this a problem that Dish knows about but will not acknowledge ?

Correct me if I am wrong but this problem seems to be mainly prevalent on the channels that I have deemed to bit starved - regional sports networks (sometimes our channels look like absolute crap, near MPEG 1 quality) are the main culprit here.

Spoke to someone in Tech support - repeated my story 2-3 times and told her what other people have said on this message board. She told me to hold on for someone that knows more about HD. I stayed on hold for 20 minutes - called back and was again put on hold for 20 minutes - never did get through. The only way anything will be done about this problem is for everyone, everytime, this happens, to call tech support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts