622 EHD + SlingBox - Not good

like2watch

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I was hoping that this particular EHD problem was related to my using a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB ... but no! I moved my 250GB+ programs over to a Maxtor One-Touch 500GB and have the same problem.

The problem is that after a while, a few hours maybe, when I try to manage the EHD it displays the directory as empty but the correct amount of available space and will produce an error if trying to move a program to the EHD.

When at home I can disconnect/connect the drive and all is well for a few hours. When away and accessing via SlingBox the EHD is useless.

Maybe it'll get fixed someday.

Slingbox

I was hoping that this particular EHD problem was related to my using a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB ... but no! I moved my 250GB+ programs over to a Maxtor One-Touch 500GB and have the same problem.

The problem is that after a while, a few hours maybe, when I try to manage the EHD it displays the directory as empty but the correct amount of available space and will produce an error if trying to move a program to the EHD.

When at home I can disconnect/connect the drive and all is well for a few hours. When away and accessing via SlingBox the EHD is useless.

Maybe it'll get fixed someday.

I have a like set up: 622, Maxtor EHD, and Slingbox AV. I have had no problems using this set up. I don't think the problem is inherent with the 622.

Maxtor and Seagate are basically the same company now... you have to reboot the Maxtor like the Seagate drive...

I was thinking that might be the case. I've got an old usb enclosure with a smaller capacity drive, so maybe I'll try to move the FreeAgent drive into it and see if that helps.

Seagate FreeAgent drives have a Sleep mode. You have to use a seagate utility program on a pc to turn off the sleep mode and then hook it back up to your 622.

Just be sure the old enclosure is USB 2.0.

It is. It's a LaCie 160GB. I connected it, did the format/reboot. Then I tried to move several recordings. It looked like it did only one, and it was not removed from the internal drive. The program was not complete and the drive was no longer functional, except to watch the partial program. It could not be deleted and no others could be moved.

Tried it again. Moved one. This time it worked okay. Now trying to move two. Given the first attempt, I'm not very confident and concerned with possible loss of programming.

It only copied one again although it completed and removed from the internal. I decided to try and restore and it fails. So I give up on this drive too.

I've gotten the FreeAgent software to turn off the sleep timer and will see if that works. Somehow I don't have much confidence.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)