622 Fast Forward and Rewind weirdness...

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
The fast forward and rewind on the 622 sure has been extra choppy lately. I'n not sure what speed I'm using, but when I hit fast forward twice, it will fast forward...show a still frame...fast forward...show a still frame...rinse...repeat.

It was always like that on mpeg-4 channels, but it does it on all the channels now.

In fact, last night, I was trying to fast forward on the Rockets vs. Utah game (last night on an ALT channel) and it locked up the 622. What's up with that? :(

The fast forward and rewind on the 622 sure has been extra choppy lately. I'n not sure what speed I'm using, but when I hit fast forward twice, it will fast forward...show a still frame...fast forward...show a still frame...rinse...repeat.

It was always like that on mpeg-4 channels, but it does it on all the channels now.

In fact, last night, I was trying to fast forward on the Rockets vs. Utah game (last night on an ALT channel) and it locked up the 622. What's up with that? :(

The skips and ff & rw have been very unpredictable since 4.03. I was watching the tail end of Capote the other night and was trying to skip forward in the credits and the damn thing kept jumping back to scenes before the credits even started.

The fast forward and rewind are choppy, but not 100% of the time so I'm not sure what causes it. But I have noticed that even though the picture is choppy, if you watch the elapsed time it is still very fluid with eratic jumps. It's almost like the processor just can't keep up with the video since the 4.01-4.03 updates.

We noticed the other day that the fast forward problem is on HD recordings but not on SD. Not sure if it's that way for everyone, but we tested it several times on different channels with the same results. We don't record SD very often, so we didn't notice this before. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed I can't FF on anything I have recorded smoothly, and the counter jumps erratically also, since I was lucky enough to get 4.03 from 3.65. I also can't start in on a recording that is in progress without jumping through hoops. I figured that since something had been recording for 45 minutes I could start watching and not have to see commercials, but it wouldn't start, just a black screen, stuck that way. I am not liking this software update.

This is kind of a different issue but I've always wanted to be able to do it but never could. I want to be able to jump the beginning of the "Live TV" buffer (meaning rewind all the way to the beginning of "Live" TV.) I did it last night somehow but couldn't duplicate it at all (accidentally sat on the remote and voila....i was at the begging of the buffer.) Was I lucky or is there a way to do it?

This is kind of a different issue but I've always wanted to be able to do it but never could. I want to be able to jump the beginning of the "Live TV" buffer (meaning rewind all the way to the beginning of "Live" TV.) I did it last night somehow but couldn't duplicate it at all (accidentally sat on the remote and voila....i was at the begging of the buffer.) Was I lucky or is there a way to do it?

There is no way that this is suppose to work. Just rewind a 300x until the beginning.

Anyone else seeing rewind not going back to the beginning ?

This with SD channels on the 622 TV1.

I have to use "skip back" to get to the actual beginning...

Problem might be releated to encoding method (mpeg2 vs mpeg4 generation 1, vs mpeg4 generation 2).

We could try to keep track of which channels are having the problem.

I'm starting to notice it on all the channels. Not just the mpeg-4 channels, but also OTA mpeg-2. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

I've noticed 4x FF is the same speed as 15x FF on HD recordings. Very choppy and erratic. Don't do much SD recordings so can't verify that.

622 Fast Forward and Rewind is done. I got to break myself in, to not use it. It's gets worse and worse with each update. Same thing happen to the 721 and the 510. The 622 worked so well before the updates.

The best dvr receiver I ever owned was the directv Microsoft UltimateTV. Man that thing was sweet. I still have it. I wish I could use it on the dish stream.

Dish need to get microsoft to make their dvrs.

622 Fast Forward and Rewind is done. I got to break myself in, to not use it. It's gets worse and worse with each update. Same thing happen to the 721 and the 510. The 622 worked so well before the updates.
Actually, the 721 works fine right now.
The 501/08/10 worked fine until a couple of months ago, and then suddenly the transport control went all wonky.
I find that Dish's DVR transport controls have always been excellent until the 50x change recently...

i'm having a slightly different recurring error. if i jump in on something that is still recording - at a random time it will just jump to "live tv"... like an instant fast forward - but this happens mid-play. seems to be happening almost everytime I watch an in progress recorded show.

Well, this has gotten a lot worse for me. It's to the point now that I can't even use Fast Forward or Rewind. If I do, I end up somewhere else in the program. What a joke. :mad: Why does Dish always have to f#ck with our receivers? :mad: :mad: :mad: Since I've had the 622, there hasn't been one update that I've benefited from. Just release the external hard drive update, fix the fast-forward and rewind and be done with it. I don't need on-demand from the internet. I don't need HD mapdown.

I can't use the frame foward when in pause mode either. These cluster-f#cks really know how to break something that ain't broke. :rolleyes:

The best dvr receiver I ever owned was the directv Microsoft UltimateTV. Man that thing was sweet. I still have it. I wish I could use it on the dish stream.

Dish need to get microsoft to make their dvrs.
Actually the first Dish DVRs were done by Microsoft. The original DishPlayer 7100/7200 was basically an UltimateTV with only one tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)