622 Freezing up using OTA...

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I have one local channel I watch OTA (ABC) using an antenna and my 622, and the signal strength is a little weak (58-64%). I'm having a major problem when my signal drops below 60% and I have some pixilation. The video seems to always freeze up after a few minutes and the only thing I can do is a hard reset.

This is getting very annoying. Has anyone else had this problem or is a problem with my receiver?

I do have a preamp.

I used this same set up with my 811 and I never had this problem. With the 811, I would either lose the picture completely for a few seconds or I had some pixilation. But the screen would never completely lock up.

When the picture freezes I still have audio, but that is all. I'm not able to change channels or anything except do a hard reset.

With the signal jumping all over the place sound like a multipath problem. Is the antenna on the roof or in the attic? I had big time problems when mine was in the attic.

The antenna is on the roof. But why would I have a multipath problem with the 622 but not with the 811 that it replaced?

Anyways, the pixilation is not my concern. It's the fact my receiver freezes up and I have to do a reset is the problem.

Last edited:
I had a station I was getting at around 65% - It was not coming in too well and would lock up my 622 as well. I think the 622 does not do well with weak signals. I messed with my antenna, and anytime I got a station below 70% I started seeing the same thing.

I then proceeded to remove the offending channel.

My advice is to remove any channel you cannot get at least a 70% signal or you're asking for trouble when someone surfs to that channel.

I experienced the multipath problem too when I was first adjusting my antenna. My local FOX was jumping back and forth from 80 to 0 every couple of seconds. That really locked the 622 up quick. By turning the antenna a bit so it was pointing more in the direction of this station, the problem was solved.

Are any of your other staions on the fringe of reception? Try pointing the antenna at this fringe station, at the expense of the others (as long as you keep them above 70) and see if that helps.

I've been considering aiming a second highly directional antenna at my fringe station, but the fear of getting multipath inteference on the staions I currently receive well is making me rethink it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts