622 Green Screen, then reboot...dying?

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
For the past 2 weeks or so, about every 48 hours, my 622 suddenly shows a green screen during which the receiver is non-responsive. It stays in that state for about 5 minutes, then reboots. Then, it seems to work fine. This has occurred both while recording and while just watching live TV. (I've not noticed it while watching a DVR'd event, but I haven't been doing that much lately, anyway). Once, after this happened, it told me to unplug the receiver, etc.

I've tried a front-panel reset and well as a power-plug reset. The condition persists. Nothing has changed in my setup for years.

Is my 622 dying?

If it is, will DISH replace it with another 622 (I'm leasing), or do they even distribute those anymore?

What is the message that comes up telling you to reset it? If it is a 311 message it is dead. If it is any other message it is still probably dead because of the way it is acting up. Yes they will replace it with a 622. If for some reason they don't have one ( highly unlikely) they will ship out a 722

What is the message that comes up telling you to reset it?...Yes they will replace it with a 622. If for some reason they don't have one ( highly unlikely) they will ship out a 722
I don't get a message when I reset it. It just goes through the usual process of finding signal, downloading the guide, etc. Then everything works normally (until about 2 days later and it does it again). Glad to know they'll send another 622. It's been a pretty rock solid unit for my purposes.

It's in the same place it's been for years on a shelf by itself in a clean environment. Sounds the same (the hard fan burst with reboot and nightly guide dl).

Can someone remind me where I can see the temps?

Counters. Under diagnostics. I forget exactly how to get there. Been a while since I had that menu structure.

Your temperature numbers are high.

Average should be down around 110-115 degrees, any high over 135 is considered hot!

Really? Nothing has changed in my setup for years. The 722 adjacent to it has the following temps & performs fine:

High: 131
Low: 120
Avg: 122

In the pic below, the 622 is in the top left compartment & the 722 is in the top right. There's actually an A/C vent under the cabinet.

BDHT.jpg

FYI: There's 4 " clearance on the sides & 6" on top.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Really? Nothing has changed in my setup for years. The 722 adjacent to it has the following temps & performs fine:

High: 131
Low: 120
Avg: 122

In the pic below, the 622 is in the top left compartment & the 722 is in the top right. There's actually an A/C vent under the cabinet.

BDHT.jpg

FYI: There's 4 " clearance on the sides & 6" on top.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

That cabinet looks nice. How are you supporting the center channel above the TV?

That cabinet looks nice. How are you supporting the center channel above the TV?

Just a cheap TV wall-mount I found at Walmart years ago. It works perfectly & it doesn't actually touch the TV. You can even swing it freely to aim it, however I leave it pointing straight for accuracy.

CC3back.jpg

Sent from my Samsung GS3

Any update to this issue?

As of about a week ago my 622 has started doing the same thing but much more often than every 48 hours. More like every 4 hours.

Wiggle your HDMI connection, many 622s had mis-positioned HDMI connectors resulting is poor solder joints on the motherboard. However, if it's rebooting, probably a dying box.

My 622 has started doing something similar for the past 2 weeks. Out of nowhere the picture disappears and I get a screeching/whining/static sound. Front panel reboot brings it back for a few hours and then it happens all over again. This happens at least twice every night and sometimes I look at the front panel when the TV is off and I can see only the green light on so I know it's locked up again. I thought overheating as well. I will be taking the cover off and blowing out any dust that may have accumulated in the past 7 years.

Mine just had another episode about ten minutes into the noon NFL games. I have a brand new 622 in the box that I might have to hook up and activate because that is unacceptable. :mad:

Last edited:
I just took the cover off mine and blew A LOT of dust out of it. Now it wont even boot up. It just sits there with the green light on the front on.
Update. It finally booted up and is working so we'll see if blowing out the dust solves the lock up problem. I got 118° average temp.

Last edited:
I just took the cover off mine and blew A LOT of dust out of it. Now it wont even boot up. It just sits there with the green light on the front on.
Update. It finally booted up and is working so we'll see if blowing out the dust solves the lock up problem. I got 118° average temp.

Blew the dust out of mine today. Didn't help.

Funny how it likes to go green screen of death during shows that I'm watching but not during other times when it's on in the background. Tonight I'm watching a FB game and it does it three times. Since the game has ended it hasn't done it once...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts