622 Hard Drive Upgrade

bigblock468

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
north carolina
Does any one know how to add a second or larger HDD to a 622 so I can increase the available space for HD recording? I just signed up for HD Silver package and I'm quickly filling up the Hard Drive with some awesome jams off Rave channel.

Thanks bigblock468:) ;)

:confused: I've got a Panasonic dvd recorder but you can't record in HD :mad: The only way to record in HD is to the hard drive :( That's why the need for more hard drive space. Can a external drive be USB'd?

Thanks, bb468

P Smith was reffering to a feature on the 622 where you can buy and plug in an external USB hard drive to record stuff on their when you need more room.

But I don't think it's supported yet. But anyways that's what you'll have to wait on, because again it is against the warranty and (if leasing, the agreement) of the box to tamper with it and change the HD

The 622 *might* support swapping of an identical drive like its SD predecessors the 522 and 625. Some mad scientist type needs to try this out and let us know the results, being very careful not to violate the integrity of the "void warranty" sticker.

Nope, Onlt Dish does. The ERD is a future option that might be implemented. Right now the only thing you can use to store programs externally is the Pocket Dish. I hope they do enable this feature because I have a 300 Gig external HD waiting to be used.

BFG said:
P Smith was reffering to a feature on the 622 where you can buy and plug in an external USB hard drive to record stuff on their when you need more room.

But I don't think it's supported yet. But anyways that's what you'll have to wait on, because again it is against the warranty and (if leasing, the agreement) of the box to tamper with it and change the HD

So? Ive voided the warranty on my HR10-250 by adding capacity and networking it, but if I sent it back with the original drive D* wouldnt know the difference. If your not leasing do whatever you want to it. If you are leasing make sure you can restore it back to its original condition.

I have a conversations with Advanced tech support that indicated that the PVRs could use external Hard Drives for some time. They had a beta test with Maxtor some time ago. I have no idea why they never shipped this functionality. They could have supported this all the way back to the 721 days.

Sci-Atl support external HDs on the 8300 series. It's a pretty nice plug and play system.

Well, part of the problem is that if they let you hook up an external HD. You can never unplug it or 'bad things might happen'(tm)

Also, once it is plugged in, the Pocketdish cannot connect and they'd shoot themselves in the foot for selling the things.

Phil

philhu said:
Well, part of the problem is that if they let you hook up an external HD. You can never unplug it or 'bad things might happen'(tm)

Also, once it is plugged in, the Pocketdish cannot connect and they'd shoot themselves in the foot for selling the things.

Phil

Huh?

It takes some additional software in any device to adequately handle removable devices. Generally, DVR software is written with 'permanent' devices (internal hard drives) in mind; ones that don't get added and removed.

A DVR maker could make a 'quick n dirty' modification to the software to enable accessing an external drive, but what happens when the software puts all sorts of files on the external drive that it expects to be there and suddenly they are not because the external drive was disconnected? Would users be willing to 'reset to factory settings/wipe all programs' just because an external hard drive was removed and the box became confused?

video62 said:
It takes some additional software in any device to adequately handle removable devices. Generally, DVR software is written with 'permanent' devices (internal hard drives) in mind; ones that don't get added and removed.

A DVR maker could make a 'quick n dirty' modification to the software to enable accessing an external drive, but what happens when the software puts all sorts of files on the external drive that it expects to be there and suddenly they are not because the external drive was disconnected? Would users be willing to 'reset to factory settings/wipe all programs' just because an external hard drive was removed and the box became confused?
turn the unit off, unplug the HD, transfer to PC, plug the drive back in and turn the DVR back on. Doesnt sound hard to me.

Did they not display a BIG Sign next to the 622 at the CES stating that an external Hard Drive storage via a USB hard drive was on the way for the 942 and 622?

Since they advertised it and people have pictures of the poster, I would think it would come out someday.

It would be almost like false advertising if they did not, (risk of class action law suit).

If they implement external HDD - they need to add a command/menu option for removing the HDD to ensure everything's done safely - just like in Windows where you have to click the little green arrow icon in your notification area to "safely remove hardware.

So, when you plug the HDD in, it's autodetected. When it's time to remove it, you need to access a menu item and wait for a prompt to tell you it's safe to unplug it.

If you unplug it without using the menu item, the box pops up a nastygram and tells you it was "unsafely removed," again, just like windows. (Who ever thought someone would use windows as an example for how something SHOULD work?).

Anyway, I don't think Dish would be dumb enough to have the 622 write "critical" files to an external device - tose would stay on the onboard HDD.

I dont grasp the unplugging discussion.

Its as simple as this...Set it up so that you can just backup to the device. Once done writing it does a cleanup and you are good to go.

And dont worry there wont be any "copying to PC" because it would be encrypted. But honestly why would you want to? As long as it works with my 622 it would be awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts