622 Harddrive Erased

SALvation

Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
I got a call from my wife this morning that our 5 month old 622 receiver showed a message that the harddrive was corrupt and it was erasing all programs while it reformatted. This is a major inconvenience as we had a ton of my son's favorite cartoons saved and now they are all gone.

We had Tivo before this for 5 years and never had this kind of problem. I'm starting to think I made a huge mistake signing with Dish. There have been no new HD channels added besides Food, they STILL don't carry FSN-HD, their hardware keeps failing, and I now realize Voom is completely useless to me. I'm already counting the months until I can leave.

You where lucky with Tivo. I know Dishes software can cause some issues but i will still take the inconv. Of the hardware and software over any other provider.

Dish's DVR's blow away the rest of them including TIVO.

I got a call from my wife this morning that our 5 month old 622 receiver showed a message that the harddrive was corrupt and it was erasing all programs while it reformatted. This is a major inconvenience as we had a ton of my son's favorite cartoons saved and now they are all gone.

We had Tivo before this for 5 years and never had this kind of problem. I'm starting to think I made a huge mistake signing with Dish. There have been no new HD channels added besides Food, they STILL don't carry FSN-HD, their hardware keeps failing, and I now realize Voom is completely useless to me. I'm already counting the months until I can leave.

I hate to say this now, but this is a known bug. NEVER click OK on that message. Unplug the unit and reboot. The message will go away and your programs will remain intact.

I hate to say this now, but this is a known bug. NEVER click OK on that message. Unplug the unit and reboot. The message will go away and your programs will remain intact.
I thought that clicking okay normally only deleted the stuff that Dish downloads to the receivers ?? That's a known bug, yes. In this case, it's very possible that the hard drive truly was corrupt.

I had the same message this morning and I clicked OK. I only had one show on the drive so I wasn't too upset. However, when the dvr restarted the show was still there. Did your programs really get wiped out or was it just cleaning up the Dish downloads?

It usually does no harm, as posted. Check to see if anything was in fact erased.

Many threads on this.

I had this happen last week and I just clicked on ok and when it rebooted itself everything was still there.

It happened again this morning and when I repeated what I had done previously I had all of my recordings deleted!!!!

What the heck is going on???

I had the message up yesterday morning when I went to set a timer for the Rose Parade and just did a hard reboot to clear it.

Soft reboot (hold down Power) worked for me the one time this happened to me.
All recordings were still intact.
I would never just hit OK to deleting ALL my recordings.
If I am going down, I'm going down swinging. :)

That is a huge bummer man, at least you are able to see how to fix it in the future! I am with ya on the tivo bit though, nothing better!

I had the same exact thing happen with one of my 622's last week!

I wasn't about to take a chance on losing all HD episodes of Firefly so I performed a soft reboot and haven't seen the message since.

Does anyone have any connections that they can use in investigating this?! You know what they say...

“Once is an accident; twice is a coincidence; three times….a conspiracy”​

I would love to know what triggered so many identical errors, within such a small window of time.

I had the message tonight when I turned my receiver on. Since I've been reading Satelliteguys, I unplugged the receiver rather than clicking OK. It restarted without any problem and I haven't noticed anything missing.

Has Dish ever said why the heck this pops up? If these receivers are Linux-based, they ought to be able to fix minor filesystem errors without user intervention -- although they shouldn't be having filesystem errors in the first place!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)