622, HDMI, Home Theater

Need help with surround sound

I have a question about homw theatre setup , I have a panasonic home theatre and a 722 my tv has 2 HDMI's one is running to the home theatre and the other to the 722 and h. theatre is on AUX 5.1 surround sound doesn't seem to be working more like 3 speakers centre and front 2. what am I not doing? I usually just manually turn the other 2 by selecting music surround that turns on all 5 speakers.

I have a question about homw theatre setup , I have a panasonic home theatre and a 722 my tv has 2 HDMI's one is running to the home theatre and the other to the 722 and h. theatre is on AUX 5.1 surround sound doesn't seem to be working more like 3 speakers centre and front 2. what am I not doing? I usually just manually turn the other 2 by selecting music surround that turns on all 5 speakers.
I don't think the 622 HDMI passes 5.1. Try using the digital audio output from the 622 to your receiver.

HDMI does support 5.1. Check the settings. They can be affected by the receiver and the TV controls.
I suspect your cableing is wrong. Check you manuals. The HDMI from TV to receiver does not sound right if you don't have the 722 going into the receiver. The two HDMI's on your TV are INPUTS. With 722 going to TV, you should have optical/digital out from TV to receiver.

I just have optical audio out from 622 to the AV receiver even though I'm using HDMI to the TV. I turn TV speakers off and let the AV receiver do it's sound thang.. :)

TV for switching video... AV receiver handles audio

working well so far.

My 722 came with an HDMI->DVI cable, and a DVI->HDMI adapter. Plug those two together and you have an HDMI->HDMI cable. HOWEVER, it think by putting that DVI in the middle, you might lose the capability to pass digital audio (DVI is video only, correct?) I am not 100% sure about that DVI part. Hopefully somebody else will answer. I just used my own HDMI cable from the 722 to the display, and also my own toslink cable from the 722 to my audio receiver. The 722 did not come with a toslink cable, nor does it have a coax digital audio connector. It might have come with cheap RCA audio cables but I can't remember. If you want digital audio to a receiver, I think you'll need to use your own cables.

HOWEVER, it think by putting that DVI in the middle, you might lose the capability to pass digital audio (DVI is video only, correct?) I am not 100% sure about that DVI part.

Incorrect. The cable that is included will pass audio when you use the adapter to make it HDMI to HDMI.

Lots of confusion here. First, DVI is video only. if you have DVI in the chain, then no audio.

Also, just because a home theater receiver has HDMI jacks on it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will decode audio from the HDMI cable. In fact, most lower-cost receivers won't, they simply act as an HDMI switch, so you'll always need a 2nd cable for the digital audio (co-ax or optical). That is one of the things that sets apart the Onkyo TX-SR605 from the TX-SR505. The less expensive 505 only switches HDMI sources, while the more expensive 605 can do that and decode audio, too. At $600, many consider the TX-SR605 a bargain. If you find the store section on the Onkyo website, they have a factory-refurb (same warranty as new) for $400, and sometimes, you can get it for $340!

I guess the moral of the story here is not to assume that just because equipment has HDMI ports, it will properly handle multi-channel sound.

Lots of confusion here. First, DVI is video only. if you have DVI in the chain, then no audio.

If you are disagreeing with me, then you are wrong. I am using the HDMI to DVI with the DVI to HDMI jumper that came with the 622 and it passes audio just fine.

We don't know that will be the case at all. It is very likely that the external hdd will be tied to the receiver (not the account). So if your receiver failed and was replaced you would lose the content on the external hdd as well.

You are able to connect your external drive to a replacement 622/722 without loss of recordings. For now, there is a limit as to the number of times (I think it is three times for now) this change of DVR will be supported. In the future, we will be able to move the external drive between any VIP DVR on our account as often as we want. Do not know when that change in software will be rolled out.

I just moved my external drive from one of my 622s to a newly added 722 without any problem.

You are able to connect your external drive to a replacement 622/722 without loss of recordings. For now, there is a limit as to the number of times (I think it is three times for now) this change of DVR will be supported. In the future, we will be able to move the external drive between any VIP DVR on our account as often as we want. Do not know when that change in software will be rolled out.

I just moved my external drive from one of my 622s to a newly added 722 without any problem.

Yes, but when I originally posted that comment almost 6 months ago (4/26) the feature had not yet been released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)