622 "HDTV Setup" screen - what does Analog Type do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
On the screen where you choose the resolution and aspect ratio of your HDTV (Menu-6-8), there's a column on the left called "Analog Type". What the heck is that for? The 622 doesn't output HDTV via the modulator, right? (And besides, there's an option to choose air or cable in the modulator setup screen.) And it doesn't receive analog off-air stations, right? So is that option there in case someone has a cable company that uses 8VSB instead of QAM for locals, and if so why isn't it on the locals setup screen, or what am I missing?

the option is for use with the off air tuner built in to the receiver and tells the tuner during a channel scan whether to go for off air channs or a couple of different cable standards (basic cable only, nothing that requires a cable box can be interpreted).

The cable and off air options in the modulator output are so that you can tailor the output to the tuner setting on your second tv so that it can view your the receiver's video output.

paxipam said:
the option is for use with the off air tuner built in to the receiver and tells the tuner during a channel scan whether to go for off air channs or a couple of different cable standards (basic cable only, nothing that requires a cable box can be interpreted).

The cable and off air options in the modulator output are so that you can tailor the output to the tuner setting on your second tv so that it can view your the receiver's video output.
Are you saying that if I have basic cable, analog and unencrypted digital HDTV QAM, that the 622 can be set to view and/or record these channels? For example, my HDTV has a built-in QAM tuner that, without a CableCARD or cable box, I can view my HDTV network channels thru Comcast basic cable connection. Can the 622 do that too?

Last edited:
paxipam said:

Is it an "either - or" thing or could a splitter be used to connect an antenna and cable?

I remember hooking cable up to the 811 but it looked like crap - even worse than normal cable.

paxipam said:

That's what I inferred from the wording on the setup screen, but that doesn't answer my question.

It was my understanding, from everything I've read online, that the 622 received 8VSB only, not analog, not QAM. Nothing in the manual talks about anything other than 8VSB, although it doesn't call it 8VSB, just "off-air digital" or something. However, the jack on the receiver is labeled "antenna/CATV", and then we have this talk of an "analog input module" in the software.

If you're wondering why I haven't just tried it yet, it's because both the cable and the 622 are in a hard-to-reach place, and I've been busy.

Jim S. said:
On the screen where you choose the resolution and aspect ratio of your HDTV (Menu-6-8), there's a column on the left called "Analog Type". What the heck is that for? The 622 doesn't output HDTV via the modulator, right? (And besides, there's an option to choose air or cable in the modulator setup screen.) And it doesn't receive analog off-air stations, right? So is that option there in case someone has a cable company that uses 8VSB instead of QAM for locals, and if so why isn't it on the locals setup screen, or what am I missing?
This option is to match the output of the Agile Modulator to the type of analog TV input your analog TV's in the house use. It might be misplaced, and therefore confusing.

If you get your analog TV OTA set it ot OFFAIR, if you have cable there are several different settings to match the type of cable modulation you receive.

It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with how the ATSC tuner sees the RF signal coming in.

The 622 CANNOT see QAM, only 8VSB OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)