622, how many recordings at once ?

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Just got installed (after a couple of years away from Dish) today with a 622 receiver that I have connected to an antenna and picking up my locals in digital. I know I read *somewhere* (1) that the 622 can record on all (3) tuners at once, but I'm not so sure... unless I'm doing something wrong...

Is this possible ?? I've browsed the manual but it doesn't get too in-depth when it comes to over-the-air anything.

(1) The ViP622 "review" from DBS Talk states this, "All three tuners can record HD (and/or SD) simultaneously".

Last edited:
Got another question that might be related....

I have Record Plus "enabled" and directed to "TV2". If I attempt to set a recording timer for a future event, it appears to override the TV2 setting and record on TV1 if the recording happens to be on one of my OTA channels. I can record an HD event and watch it on my 2nd TV just fine, so why won't it record to TV2 ?? I set a timer for a non-HD show (something off of A&E) and it is flagged as going to TV2. I haven't spent much time at TV2 yet but I'm positive that the OTA digitals do not show up in the guide there. Then again, I should not have to go upstairs to set all of my timers just to be sure they go to TV2.

I had a 522 years ago and at one point, Dish added "Record Plus" support and as I recall, it worked fine. I expect that they've worked out any issues with this feature by now, haven't they ??

Are you in single or dual mode, sounds like dual. Record plus works in single mode, in dual mode record requests are usually set to the tv side that requested it. Heard there may be a way to override it, but cannot recall it at the moment. OTA is attached to tv1 and will not appear in guide. If you are only one using this receiver, set it to single and then will work as you currently expect it to. Otherwise, you will probably have to test it alot to figure out settings which will work for you.

Last edited:
You can record 3 things at the same time.

One on TV1, One on TV2, and One on OTA (aka TV1).. it's a bit odd because it shows TV1 recording twice.

Mind you I run in dual mode, so I'm not sure how it displays in shared mode, but I'd assume the same.

Also, which is a bit odd, if you're recording something OTA you can flip to satalite and watch something else, flip channels, but if you flip to an OTA it will let you know you'll stop you're recording. Visa versa as well.

VinceT3 said:
You can record 3 things at the same time.

One on TV1, One on TV2, and One on OTA (aka TV1).. it's a bit odd because it shows TV1 recording twice.
I did experiment by setting (3) timers for the same time in the future. One channel was an OTA digital and the other two were satellite channels. It did accept the timers. As you noted, two recordings show up on tuner "1" and that's a flaw in the 622's software. It NEEDS to designate that differently.

if you're recording something OTA you can flip to satalite and watch something else, flip channels, but if you flip to an OTA it will let you know you'll stop you're recording. Visa versa as well.
I did get the warning, so I bailed out at that point since I figured it was going to cancel the recording of the OTA feed. You're saying it won't ?? It prompts you to decide, yes, no, or cancel. To me, "yes" means, "go ahead and cancel the recording and change to the channel I want" while "no" and "cancel" mean the same thing.

Thanks HALL....so what is the difference?

and is the only way to switch them is on the unit itself...no button the remote?

hall said:
It NEEDS to designate that differently.

I agree, but not overly worried about it.

hall said:
I did get the warning, so I bailed out at that point since I figured it was going to cancel the recording of the OTA feed. You're saying it won't ??

You shouldn't get a warning if satalite isn't recording on TV1 and OTA is recording on TV1 and you switch to a new channel on satalite.

You'll only get that if both TV1 & OTA are being used or OTA is being used and you switch to a channel on the OTA or visa versa TV1 is being used and you switch to another satalite channel.

I've flipped from Hell's Kitchen recording to some HD channels on satalite then flipped around on satalite because I wasn't recording anything else at the time. As soon as the satalite is about to record it gives you the count down and switches. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts