622 install w/dish 500 but no HD

vampirefish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
I know, it sounds crazy, but I have a 622 (couldn't get an HD signal) and decided to just keep the receiver. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 2 tuner dvr. Well the Dish guy left (no HD signal) and of course afterward I thought... why not just keep the receiver? We'll be moving soon and hopefully I can then use it to it's full potential!!

Until then, I'd like to hook it up as my main receiver TV1 and use the TV2 for my bedroom. I have a Dish 500 that is currently running 3 different lines to 3 different receivers (no switches).

I just hooked up my 622 and it ran through the tests. I have the DPP separater running from one line to both TV inputs on the 622 (not sure if this is right). I also have a phone line connected (replacing a 501).

The 622 sees the 119 and 110 with no problems (only sats I am pointed to with the 500). Sat Input 1 is verified successfully with Switch: 'Quad' (and the 2 sats). Sat Input 2 showes Switch: 'None' (and no sats).

I run the Check Switch and here is the message I receive:
Warning 530 "One of the satellite inputs or switches is not connected properly. Normal operation will be adversely affected." I couldn't find message number 530 in my manual (trouble-shooting).

I click Done (from the point dish page) and it successfully acquires a sat signal. Then program guide info downloads successfully.

I also I receive the message that I need to authorize this receiver. I don't want to do so until I know this is working correctly. Does anyone think this isn't a good idea? I was looking into getting a 721 but was thinking that the 622 should be more stable and like I said... I'm hoping to get HD within the next year or so.

Also... do you think Dish will even let me activate it?

Thanks...

The seperator will only work with a dish pro plus lnb. Your quad will need two seperate lines running to the 622 for both tuners to work. As long as you own the 622 and it is not a lease you can use it without the hd package but you will be charged a $6.00 fee each month for the Over The Air tuner and not having the hd package.

Thanks, that's what I figured.. Well I'll run the other line.... and if I can get this activated with no problems, I'll do it. If not, guess I'll get a 721.

You wont get hd with a D500 dish on your 622 until you have the 129 or 61.5 sat picked up wich either will be an upgrade of your D500 to a D1000 or adding a second dish to see either of the sats I mentioned and upgrading lnbfs and switch's depending on what else you have.

Thanks all. I've decided that I'll just send it back... by the time I move, they'll probably have an even better deal! I'm gonna find a 721

Yes, however since I did not previously have HD, Dish will only set me up with the 'new' HD setup on the 129 (at least that's what I understand from this awesome forum).

You will have to have one of the metallic hd packages, but it just means you won't get the voom, espn2, and universal hd or any new hd channels that are on 129 or 61.5. You will get the hd channels that are on 110 and 119. Just whether you want to pay for channels you can not receive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts