622 installation problems

samgovol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I have had my 622 at my house for about one month. Finally, they come today (2 days late) and after getting there they tell us that they cannot install it because they have to run a second line to where the new receiver will be. They tell us that it is impossible to run (fish) the line through the wall. They also tell us that there is a certain type of switch that MAY work and they wouldn't have to run the second line, but they also tell us that the switch (34 or 44?) is very expensive and Dish will not provide that? So, now I am stuck with a 622 and no solution as to how to get it wired. Any thoughts, suggestions? I am very frustrated with Dish right now!

I can certainly sense your frustration, looking at the 622 gathering dust for a month! They should have at least hooked you up with one tuner operational through the cable you already have until the rest is resolved!
EDIT - Can't use just one tuner - other one constantly reports "Acquiring Sat Signal"...

The 622 came with a "separator" that takes signals from that single cable and feeds them into the 2 tuner inputs, but that method only works if the other end of that cable is attached to a DPP LNB at the dish or a DPP44 switch in between. That switch is ~$200 from Dish or the installer or possibly cheaper via eBay. Another possible issue is that particular switch has been in short supply recently so the installer may not have had one available.

Depending on what else you have (like 4 orbital slots), your system may need the DPP44 switch in which case Dish will supply it and it should have been on your work order. In most multiple-dish/LNB applications tho' the 34 switch is all that's needed so that's all Dish will provide, but then you'd also have to run the second cable to the 622. If running the second cable is impossible (might be possible via another route?) or impractical, then the 44 switch is a good option, but if your programming does not require it then you would have to pay for it yourself. There may be other options that I haven't considered and others can comment on. Good luck with it and do report back. Welcome, BTW...

Last edited:
What other equipment do you have, satellite dishes, receivers, switches? Are you in an area that can use a Dish 1000? If not a DishPro Plus Twin can feed a dual tuner receiver through one cable for $45 at Dishstore.

samgovol said:
I have had my 622 at my house for about one month. Finally, they come today (2 days late) and after getting there they tell us that they cannot install it because they have to run a second line to where the new receiver will be. They tell us that it is impossible to run (fish) the line through the wall. They also tell us that there is a certain type of switch that MAY work and they wouldn't have to run the second line, but they also tell us that the switch (34 or 44?) is very expensive and Dish will not provide that? So, now I am stuck with a 622 and no solution as to how to get it wired. Any thoughts, suggestions? I am very frustrated with Dish right now!

Here's what you need to do. The switch in question is called a DPP44 switch. Normally it's used for installs requiring a 4-satellite installation.

Your situation is kind of unique. Unless I'm mistaken, your home is pre-wired and is a major and royal pain to run a second line to the location your receiver is located at. I have seen instances where a customer bitched and moaned enough to allow the DPP44 (it will allow your receiver to need only one incoming line) to be added to the workorder. That's pretty much where you're at and what you need to do. Good luck

Looking at his previous posts, he has an 811 and a 622 being fed by two dishes. Why would he need a DPP44 for $200 when replacing the LNB on his 110/119 dish with a DPP twin for $45 would allow him to feed his new 622 with 1 cable and a separator? For all we know he may have a DPP twin on a Dish 500 already, but I doubt it. We really need to know exactly what he has before suggesting a solution.

OK, I got home, the 622 was installed, but only had one cable coming into it. The installer told us that the seperator will not work due to me having a 34? switch. I called Dish tonight and raised H _ _ _! They told me they were going to send a new technician out Friday to bring the correct equipment. I believe he said that he would have to order a 44 switch. Also, the installer today, did not move my 2nd dish (the one pointed at 61.5) to the new 129 satellite. so, I can not get my locals in HD (I live near Atlanta.) Dish was very appologetic and said they would get this corrected.

Currently my 622 is picking up most of my HD programming (except my locals) and it only has one cable coming into it. It is not connected to my 2nd TV. I currently have a dish 500 and another dish (pointed at 61.5.) I am replacing the 811 with the 622.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!

Yes the single feed with separator will not work with the DP34 switch but will with the DPP44. As long as Dish is willing to spring for the expensive DPP44 then go for it. I'm surprised they are available that quickly. Is the 622 the only box you are trying to connect? If for some reason the DPP44 is delayed or unavailable, the DPP twin LNB used in the Dish 1000 will also support the single cable with separator to a maximum of 2 dual tuner receivers. You could replace the LNB's in your Dish 500 with the DPP twin LNB.

I'm using a Dish 1000 for 110 and 119 and a Dish 500 with single LNB for 129 tied back to the Dish 1000. I have 2 cables going from the Dish 1000 to receivers. One cable goes to the 622 through a separator and 1 cable goes to a 721 through another separator. Using the DPP twin LNB in the Dish 1000, I didn't need a DPP44.

Good luck with the 2nd install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)