622 is running hot, cooling suggestions?

airwalker82

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
I recently had a built-in media center installed, which has really been great, except for the fact that there is little to no air flow for my components, which includes my 622 and it's running really hot. The average temp was above 120 degrees and it gets to about 145 degrees before it freezes. The component cabinet does have some grommet holes cut in the back, but doesn't seem much air is getting through them. I would be fine with leaving the cabinet open, but I have a 1 1/2 year old son that loves electronics, so we intentionally had a lucite (clear plastic) door put on. Taking it off would defeat the purpose we had the media center installed.
Any cheap/least evasive suggestions? Already tried a laptop cooler and it only made it worse.
Does the 622 run especially hot? Does the 722 run cooler? How about D*'s HD receiver...does it run cooler?

If I can't solve this problem fairly cheaply, I will definitely be going with D* or Uverse...I figure the fact that the 622 doesn't work properly with my current set-up is excuse enough to have the early cancellation fee waived.

If I can't solve this problem fairly cheaply, I will definitely be going with D* or Uverse...I figure the fact that the 622 doesn't work properly with my current set-up is excuse enough to have the early cancellation fee waived.
Any DVR sufficiently cut off from cool air is going to be a problem. Please don't blame DISH (or DIRECTV or AT&T) for your failure to pay attention to the details.

I would recommend some sort of ducted solution that uses a small squirrel cage fan to "pressurize" the slot(s) where the hot electronics are.

It may help to locate the most sensitive components down as low as possible. It might also be useful to stand the covers off a little bit so that air can move around the edges.

Anytime you make an entertainment center that houses components, you have to have fans for air circulation. It does not matter what brand or which company they came from all components generate heat. I have 2 6" fans in the bottom of mine blowing into the cabinet and 2 6" fans at the top blowing out of the cabinet. If you can do it this way that is your best way. You need to be moving air all the time, since the dvr does not shut off. my 622 stays an average of 90 or so with the fans. They don't get turned off because everything would get to hot. The dvr itself has a fan to cool the hard drive but it does not do much good if all the hot air keeps building up in the cabinet, that is why the laptop cooler you tried did not work.

Any DVR sufficiently cut off from cool air is going to be a problem. Please don't blame DISH (or DIRECTV or AT&T) for your failure to pay attention to the details.

I would recommend some sort of ducted solution that uses a small squirrel cage fan to "pressurize" the slot(s) where the hot electronics are.

It may help to locate the most sensitive components down as low as possible. It might also be useful to stand the covers off a little bit so that air can move around the edges.

Well, excuse me for not planning ahead:confused:! I know I have heard a "rumor" that the 622's run hotter than similar DVR's and wanted to know if that was valid. I know my older Dish SD DVR never ran as hot and, in fact, had it in an enclosed media center with no heat problems.

Oh mon Die !

a) you are a member for almost 2 years here
b) that thread running well and FULL of info - just read it
c) planning ahead suggest research: search and reading, n'est pa ?
d) "rumor" ? there are a lot of posts here with real temp numbers, trends with those temps
e) 722 is hotter then 622, because of 500 GB disk
f) the picture reposted three times already
g) etc, etc ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)