622 looses OTA if it looses satellite, huh?

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I was watching a local channel OTA last night threw the 622 in HD and a storm came threw causing me to loose satellite reception which threw the 622 into the acquiring signal mode and I could not get back to my OTA program because the satellite signal was not there. I finally unscrewed the antenna cable from the back of the 622 and screwed it straight into the TV and watched TV in HD OTA until the storm was gone so that signal was there for my locals OTA.

Is it normal to loose the ability to use the OTA tuner in the 622 just because you can't get satellite reception?

jrfuda said:
I read at the other sat forum that you can hit menu-menu exit and get it back... I have not tried it yet though (haven't lost sat).
Thanks I will try that when it happens again. Gotta say though this is about a boneheaded design.

My sat lost the signal last night on the 622 due to a heavy storm and i was able to watch the OTA channels without a problem.

Yes this is normal. I even wrote the ceo@echostar.com as we had a tornado go through and I needed important storm information from my local OTA TV stations.

Turns out this is by design as they want to make sure everyone is paying for service.

In there reply I did find out that if you are tuned to an OTA station before the storm (or rain fade event) and DO NOT TOUCH THE REMOTE, you will not get the OTA signal blocked by the software.
Seems that any action on the remote will cause it to check for the Sat signal.

So when those tornados come, dont change channels, hit info or switch to the other local station to see if there tornado coverage is better.

abricko said:
is it possible you were mistaking mapped down HD LILS as OTA? I've not seen this issue

No it was OTA HD (I don't get local HDs on satellite). The only thing I can think is maybe the sat coincidentally came back up at the same instant that I changed channels to the local OTA. I didn't check back to see if the sat was up for about 20 minutes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)