622 Lost HDMI output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
hilarity ensues...

well, called yesterday for loss of the HDMI output on my second 622, got it via UPS today. Maybe i'll just call in and get a new one every 90 days, (just kidding Dish ppl ;-D ) Glad that even though I have had my share of problems with the equipment (original 921 owner), the support I have gotten has always been top notch. We'll see how long this one lasts.

-Kyle

My HDMI died as well (I got 6 weeks out of it). Unfortunatly, repeated calls to Dish, they simply refuse to replace it, blaming software. I cancelled service (component audio has always been out of sync, they know of this problem too, not even a hint of an ETA on that fix), and took the cover off. Thermal cycling is a high probability cause. The surface mounted connector on a plastic board is secured with a screw to the metal backing. Everyone except the receiver designer seems to know that metal and plastic don't expand equaly.

Anyway, suppose your HDMI is working right now and you have no plans to move it whatsoever. If you were to fully secure and support the weight of the cable so that there is no support required by the receiver, you might want to loosen the HDMI connector screw a couple of turns. If the screw is not locked to the metal back (thereby stressing the surface mount points) when the PCB expands, there will be no induced stress on the HDMI connector, it won't eventually break the solder joints and you should be HDMI toruble free forever. Just remember, do not move anything, especially the cable, until you retighten the screw. Preferably when it has completely cooled down. Take a look at your box, you will see how seriously bad the design is.

Here's a couple of pictures of the problem.

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/09/dont-blindly-believe-dish-if-hdmi.html

TripleII

Aside: 7 weeks of runaround, even telling them of all I read about here, and they still refused to replace the box. After looking at it, I called, they said they can now send a new box, I am important to them, but alas, it is too late, I am done with Dish. How many of us would have understood, and accepted the problem until a real solution was found if Dish just came out with the truth. Also, how many people are out there, don't know it isn't their TV, swapping cables, purchasing component cables, hastling their TV manufacturers, and on and on. Way to go Dish.

Good post, TripleII. It helps confirm what some of us have been saying here for months. I agree that the thermal considerations are probably big contributors to the problem that the designers overlooked...

(PS - I have measured temps. on the BroadCom decoder chip in excess of 160 F.)

Nice web page, TripleII. Too bad you had such a bad experience with Dish. It's bad enough that they employ poor design in the equipment, but to compound it with terrible service, after months of having data which proves the design flaw, is unacceptable.

I've got my 622 in the basement with the HDMI cable running up through the floor. Given your web page pictures, having an upward pressure looks to be the right thing to do.

But I'm still expecting mine to fail. I have little confidence in such a shoddy design.

We have verified that some of the lost connections are due to hardware. No software update is going to fix broken connections between the system board and output connector.

However some of the outages may be due to a software handshake bug. This has not be verified.

Most people calling Dish are first told it is a software error.

This has been quiet for some time now. Are the "newer" 622's not having the same issues? There is no way I am upgrading to a 622 if my HDMI is going to fail and I have to go through this nonsense.

I have two owned 622s (purchased in Feb and May) and have already replaced three due to failed HDMI. I've never had a problem getting a replacement receiver, but I'm tired of losing recording, lugging the receiver to UPS, and setting 30+ timers. I actually have to replace the 622 down in the basement, which will be the 4th HDMI failure...but I just don't have the time and energy and can get away with component for a while.

Anyway, I thought the problem was due to heat, but I was glad to read TripleII's comments. I'll take a look at my HDMI connectors and cables, but I'm quite certain all my cables are tied to the rack with velcro straps and there is very little cable weight (feather light) on the HDMI connector.

riffjim4069 said:
Anyway, I thought the problem was due to heat, but I was glad to read TripleII's comments.

I am posivitve mine was due to thermal cycling. It failed when I tried to power it on after turning it off overnight. I never touched it, and there were no vibrations (save the subwoofer). My cable put no weigth either as the HDMI connector went from the receiver up to the TV.

The screw was probably already putting stress on the HDMI connector and induced stress from heating and cooling did it in over time. I wish there was a way to get a magnified snapshot of the actual surface mount. You would see how fragile it is. Securing the connector to the chassis, then sheilded ribbon cable from the connector to the PCB is the way to go (and the way any reasonably build connector is ever done, computer, stereo or otherwise).

My biggest heartburn over this entire issue is Dish failing to own up to the problem. I could and would have waited until a design change was completed, out of sync audio or not on the component input, but they refuse to come clean. Like many, I replaced (borrowed cables), borrowed a DVI capable computer, and did the tech support jig until I proved it was the receiver, then got stonewalled with a "magical software fix" coming.

I did email customer service, tech support and Charlie Chat asking how a software fix was going to repair an HDMI connector (with a link to my blog) pulled partly free of the circuit board, and not one response. (From 3 days ago). I didn't expect a response though, I cancelled HD so there is no percentage in wasting their time with me.

TripleII

I just got a new 622 2 1/2 weeks ago. The HDMI video output has failed.

Called tech support and they tell me it's just a software bug and to use component.:mad: They tell me they do not know when the fix will be available:mad:

I was just fine with my 942

Last edited:
I just called tech support yesterday to get a replacement 622, although I must say I waited about 2 months after my HDMI failed before I called, hoping engineering realized the problem was in the hardware and did whatever they needed to do to fix it. I've been using component up until it arrives. Now I realize I might as well not have bothered.

I sure hope I don't get those kind of excuses from Dish when I get my 622 tomorrow. Those cables aren't free, and I've already got an HDMI cable ready and waiting and no spare component cables.

My HDMI Died on my VIP 622

1 month working fine an today my HDMI died no signal at all ......what can I do know ..........when is dish going to resolve these problems with the 622....

Is like it has a timer......soon your HDMI will die BOOMM there you go.....it only works for a while.

Dish Network can you please find the cure of this problem??:mad:

Have you tried selecting another input on your TV and then going back to HDMI? Sometimes you can have a handshaking issue that can be resolved by doing this.

hdmi lost

well i just find the problem in two or three 622 a poor soldering to the mother board i fix it resoldering with a very small soldering tip and every thing workrs great since then.
i hope this help.:)

Have you tried selecting another input on your TV and then going back to HDMI? Sometimes you can have a handshaking issue that can be resolved by doing this.

I've got a half dozen inputs on my Sony that are used regularly. It's got nothing to do with the handshaking.

I'm on my second 622, and they both had the HDMI output die after 6 weeks of use. The receivers weren't touched or moved once they were installed, so I have a hard time believing that heat or some ghostly jostling of the unit would bust the solder holding the connector to the motherboard.

Meanwhile, my father's works fine since April, but his is alone on top ofhis bedroom dresser. Maybe a heat buildup is the cause as mine is in a component stack (although it has 8 inches of air above it and a hole in the back on the cabinet to allow venting of heat.....).Maybe I'll wait until next summer and repeat the process all over again (I've got too many shows on it now, and with constant new shows being recorded, I won't have it emptied until July 2007 in all likelihood)

Mine stopped working, then started again after a week. Stopped again, and has now been working for over a month. No jiggling of wires or anything.
Who knows.....

Mine died after switching from a RPTV using a DVI to HDMI to a plasma with a HDMI to HDMI. I tried different cables, the other HDMI port on the plasma, tried yelling, stomping.... oh... well, tried it all and no dice.
I'll call Dish to see if they'll replace my vip 622. I've been on HDMI since the 622 came out... bummer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)