622 - low volume on HD channels

nachomama

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
All the HD channels have a much lower volume than the SD channels. I had the same problem on my 6000, but it didn't seem as bad. Is this a bug with the 622?

Thanks!

Not a bug but a normal artifact. Many HD programs are in DD/5.1 ss which has wide dynamic range. The lower average volume is quickly filled during loud passages. If the HD "normal" volume was the same as SD then you'd likely damage your speakers in a sudden loud event. The only way to overcome that is with a lower average volume, or with audio compression but then that defeats one of the great features of high-quality audio...!

I must agree with bhelms. My home theatre reacts the same when I watch/listen to anything that is digital 5.1 compared with SD channels. When watching a DVD, I always have to turn up the volume. And now with HD, I have to do the same.

It's great but frustrating at the same time. Especially after the wife goes to bed and I try to watch anything recorded in HD/DD. If I have the volume high enough to actually hear the voices in the dialog scenes and not need captions, the next special effect or music will shake the house, wake her up and make the dogs bark.

Pepper said:
It's great but frustrating at the same time. Especially after the wife goes to bed and I try to watch anything recorded in HD/DD. If I have the volume high enough to actually hear the voices in the dialog scenes and not need captions, the next special effect or music will shake the house, wake her up and make the dogs bark.
I can relate to that...! The WAF drops substantially during such events! The only thing that was louder than that in my house was the night I dozed-off in the hottub and dropped the remote into the water...@*&*^(*&$)(&@ !!!!

I have a solution for you: Also run cables from the L+R composite audio outputs from your receiver into your audio system, then choose that input for "compressed" audio that won't have the dynamic range. Less enjoyment, but less chance of the wife pulling the plug...or worse!

I use a different method. I have the optical output from the 622 going into my ss system, then L+R audio cables running into my TV. When I want a "quiet" listening environment, I turn-off the ss system and just use the TV's speakers, which are then operating in a compressed mode...

Last edited:
Does the 622 also offer Dolby output in "Line" and "RF" modes, like the 942 does?

The RF mode limits the dynamic range and makes the average volume level closer to that of the stereo channels. However it does lower the audio quality of your DD5.1 channels.

bhelms is correct about the L&R audio channels. You can use these to get the same sound quality out of the HD (and the SD channels that have DD5.1 enabled, like HBO-E & -W and Showtime - E and -W) channels as you do the other channels.

This thread makes me very grateful that my wife is a sound sleeper and the dog is used to surround. :)

Also, most A/V recievers have a "midnight" mode, which actually compresses the dynamic range of digital audio, letting you set the volume loud enough to hear the dialog, without fear of having a scene wake the entire household. That might be an option as well.

Pepper said:

Most (all?) surround sound home theater systems allow you to adjust the volume level of each speaker. If you adjust the front speaker (99% of voices in dialogue should be coming from the front speaker), you should be able to hear the program at a lower volume level and the special effect noises would be at a much lower volume on the other speakers.

Last edited:
The subwoofer's volume would still be the same, as well as the front L & R speakers and these can get quite loud on special effects.

Best thing is to either use the L & R stereo outputs to your receiver or T, or go into your receiver's menu and set the audio output to RF mode, or hit a button on your A/V receiver that limits the dynamic range. Any of these should help.

Does this matter on a Pro Logic Receiver?

I have a Pro Logic receiver I just can't seem to part with, does the RF vs. Line mode have the same effect on that?

I can certainly tell the difference in the volume levels, but apart from that, does this setting have the same effect on a Pro Logic receiver as it does a Dolby Digital (that is, some loss of quality; or is all the loss of quality due to me using Pro Logic)?

Setting your receiver to output in "RF" mode will automatically limit your dynamic range.

In your case it will have less audible impact as your ProLogic receiver would be compromising the DD 5.1 output anyway.

I've noticed this volume difference between my digital locals (OTA) vs the satellite-carried locals and it's NOT related to DD5.1. It happens even during the day when programs aren't in HD or DD5.1.

I've noticed this volume difference between my digital locals (OTA) vs the satellite-carried locals and it's NOT related to DD5.1. It happens even during the day when programs aren't in HD or DD5.1.

OK hall think I found a fix to our problem. I just did the search because of the problem you just stated. Press the menu key on remote, 6 (System Setup), 7 (Dolby Digital), Select RF Mode then select done. As soon as it hit the done key the volume jumped up. Now all my channels are closer in sound levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)