622 Native Output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

halsan40

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Palm Bay, Fl
What is the non up converted resolution of the 622? I have mine set at 1080I but if the 622 is up scaling maybe I should set it lower and let my set do the up converting.
Any thoughts from the Dish Experts here?

That would probably be the resolution of the channel you are watching. ESPN's, ABC and FOX are 720p, most other HD channels are 1080i, SD channels are 480i.

I would set the output to 720p and 1080i and see which looks better, maybe record the test pattern on HDNET (~3am Tuesday) and compare.

On the last technical chat it was stated that the software for HD receivers will be modified this summer to give you the option to select "Native" resolution. This will allow the receiver to pass the resolution it receives with no up or down conversions.

Just as a point of technical consideration- The native resolution of the programming signal is not as important as the fact that it is your display device's native resolution (digital displays) that will prevail. Somewhere along the process you must convert to your display native resolution in order to present the image to see. The choice you have is deciding where in the process that you have control over will be where you wish for that conversion to take place. Obviously you don't have any say as to what program channel is using such as 720Px1280 for ABC network or say, 1080i x 1440 for a Voom channel or other HDCAM source, less if Dish is reducing the H res for bandwidth squeeze etc., but you may decide whether to scale in your receiver, DVD player or finally at your display processor. That choice there is yours to make. What many people think is happening is that if they output their receiver at 1080i x 1920 according to the receiver specs they are seeing that on their monitor but in reality, their monitor may be native 720P x 1280 and thus what they are really watching is nothing higher than that because their monoitor's processor MUST scale the inbound signal to what the native resolution is. With analog monitors, such as CRT's there is no real "native" resolution, just an upper limit set by the bandwidth and design of the analog circuits scanning of lines the phosphors are glowing at. :) Few people, even ISF techs understand this difference.

Thanks to everyone for the input. It is especially interesting that there will be a software upgrade this summer for dish to output the native resolution of the source. I believe my 1080P JVC Pro may do a better job of up converting than the 622.

Again Thanks All,
Hal

Last edited:
BCH said:
On the last technical chat it was stated that the software for HD receivers will be modified this summer to give you the option to select "Native" resolution. This will allow the receiver to pass the resolution it receives with no up or down conversions.

Hopefully this will go to aspect ratio, too. as it would then be ideal for those of us with 4x3 HDTVs. The problem is that when you go into the HDTV set-up on the 622 (or any HD receiver, I think), it assumes that 720p or 1080i is necessarily 16x9. So what that means is that when the signal is SD - even with the S-Video output on the 622 - the receiver is still sending a 16x9 signal so I get black bars all the way around. Sure, I can use the receiver's stretch mode to make it wide, but I'm still not able to fill my entire screen.

The only option is to use the S-Video into a second video input on my TV and change the video source when I go to an SD channel. If the receiver sent the 480i SD signal on regular SD channels over the HDMI (or component) outputs, my TV should understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)